Main Menu

What's everyone listening to...?

Started by Gonk, 01 February, 2012, 09:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

fear of a black planet, finally on nice vinyl. an overload of loud, angry, nostalgia, thirty years on, and disturbingly apt and prescient about now (which means, sadly, and this is certainly not their fault, that it changed absolutely nothing). and it's still the freshest and best rap album ever.

repoman

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 24 April, 2021, 11:32:23 AM
fear of a black planet, finally on nice vinyl. an overload of loud, angry, nostalgia, thirty years on, and disturbingly apt and prescient about now (which means, sadly, and this is certainly not their fault, that it changed absolutely nothing). and it's still the freshest and best rap album ever.

PE number 1, get the job done!

paddykafka

Link to a celebratory concert as a tribute to Bob Dylan, tonight at 8pm. Happy Birthday, Bob!

https://www.facebook.com/lisahannigan/posts/335563787927897

The Enigmatic Dr X

Been re-enjoying some 70s Queen. Some of their album tracks are awesome.

Teo Torriati (which I know was a single in Japan), Love of My Life, Flick of the Wrist, Lap of the Gods... Revisited, It's Late (criminally never a single).

Man, those songs are just plain good.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 24 May, 2021, 10:11:00 PM
Been re-enjoying some 70s Queen. Some of their album tracks are awesome.

Teo Torriati (which I know was a single in Japan), Love of My Life, Flick of the Wrist, Lap of the Gods... Revisited, It's Late (criminally never a single).

Man, those songs are just plain good.

Yep all the records up to and including 'News of the World' are great. As you say chock full of fantastic stuff. There's a smattering of great stuff after that but really those first six records are just gold mines.

zombemybabynow

Christopher cross: ride like the wind

my frail dotage is finally kicking in but it is wonderful and also works well on shuffle - followed up with the likes of Jane's addiction
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I started listening to Gorillaz recently. Just took a notion one day. I've heard their stuff before and liked it but never really dove into it. They've been going two decades now.

There's the odd misstep, where Albarn seems to be jumping on the bandwagon du jour or chasing some trend.

The rest is lovely stuff.
You may quote me on that.

I, Cosh

Inspired by another thread, I dug out the Let's Eat Grandma album from a couple of years ago. Still good: Donnie Darko.
We never really die.

zombemybabynow

the whole back catalogue of Scott Lavene [for my walk home]

the song Broke - is a good entry point

brilliant
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

stories from the city stories from the sea, the demo versions - pj harvey (on some truly living vinyl).
if anyone prefers polly's music when it's a little less polished and a little more raw and darkly hewn - as i do - then they will love this. i think it's better than the mercury-winning original. but all her music never fails to transfix and inspire and intrigue.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 25 June, 2021, 01:48:06 AM
stories from the city stories from the sea, the demo versions - pj harvey (on some truly living vinyl).
if anyone prefers polly's music when it's a little less polished and a little more raw and darkly hewn - as i do - then they will love this. i think it's better than the mercury-winning original. but all her music never fails to transfix and inspire and intrigue.

Yeah PJ is one of the best - just had a retrospective in the car - where I listen to most my CDs these days... well did ... and she is just brilliant. I do like 'Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea' and 'Uh Huh her' they are great records - in the way Sonic Youth 'Dirty' and 'Goo' are great records but I do prefer her raw work, particularly 'Rid of Me' (Steve Albini does see a perfect fit for her music in my mind).... but okay I do struggle with 'Is this Desire?'

I nwasn't aware of this record so will check it out EXCEPT we've just got a new car and that doesn't have a CD player in it cos its like new and you don't do that anymore.... what the chuff am I going to do... does Spotify or whatever have all the records on as well as Playlists and what not... I think I can link my Phone to the Car sound system ... is this my future.

This talk of PJ bring home the trouble I have ahead...

Her later stuff is endlessly listenable too, but in some ways is more problematic

I, Cosh

I actually feel like she's taking the piss with this Demo Versions series. Sure, everybody loves the old 4 Track Demos, but do we really need the equivalent for every album she's ever released? Not convinced and would be much happier with an actual new record.

In the interestes of positivity I've mostly been listening to the absolutely lovely Scuro Chiaro by Alessandro Cortini. Lovely synth waves and pulses and occasional jarring bleeps.

We never really die.

DrJomster

Chaise Longue by Wet Leg. Very good work for a first single I have to say, with numerous alternative radio stations lavishing it with praise this last week apparently.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Mezzanine by Massive Attack. Even twenty-odd years later this still sounds ahead of its time.
You may quote me on that.