Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 2 - Alan Davis or Simon Harrison

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 January, 2021, 06:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

credo

Simon Harrison for me. Alan Davis is great, but I think it's his stuff outside of 2000ad of which I'm particularly fond.

Link Prime

JayzusB.Christ

Obviously Alan Davis is brilliant. But there was something about Simon's work that had me riveted.  It wasn't realistic, but it wasn't trying to be. His punky collage stuff was just the right fit for the Bradley run where he met famous bands, and later while everyone else was trying to be Bisley, he was doing experimental stuff with watercolours and it was absolutely perfect for Revere.  I even liked his work on Strontium Dog, but that's just me.  And it really is just me.

Harrison
for me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Bolt-01

sixmo

I'm having the same problem in reverse here that I had with 'Simon Coleby' and 'Simon Coleby'. I think until yesterday I recognised him as two different artists, rather than the same fellow with two different styles.

Today, it's the turn of Simon Harrison and Mark Harrison. Somehow, I have conflated the two of them into one being, even though I knew that the names were different! What is going on in my brainses?!

Anyway, I quite liked Simon Harrison's messy loose edged stylings at the time, but I do prefer Alan Davis then and now, so Alan Davis is my pick here.

TordelBack

I like Harrison fine, a real original, especially on Revere, but Harry 20 and DR & Quinch do the trick for me.  Alan Davis.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

alan, clearly (and that's the operative word, for me, in this particular vote).

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 January, 2021, 01:55:18 PM
I even liked his work on Strontium Dog, but that's just me.  And it really is just me.

And me. Welcome to Milton Keynes.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 January, 2021, 08:47:32 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 January, 2021, 01:55:18 PM
I even liked his work on Strontium Dog, but that's just me.  And it really is just me.

And me. Welcome to Milton Keynes.

Glad it's not just me.  It's a lonely road we walk here, Funt, but the scene you refer to was a thing of beauty.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Fairly sure I roll this one out from time to time, but I do love it:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 21 January, 2021, 01:54:53 AM
Fairly sure I roll this one out from time to time, but I do love it:

That's the one.  I snecking love it.

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 January, 2021, 01:55:18 PMI even liked his work on Strontium Dog, but that's just me.  And it really is just me.
Nah. Possibly my first ever post on here was about how much I loved Simon Harrison's version of Strontium Dog and how disappointed I was when Colin MacNeil was drafted in to take over from him.

Harry 20 on the High Rock was the first new Thrill where I was there from day 1 so I loved it maybe a little more than it deserved. A big part of that was Alan Davis and the way his art could seamlessly blend homemade space capsules and mutant squarks with expressive faces. Lovely.

Simon Harrison's art is a different thing entirely. It's just so full of dynamic energy and movement. Who cares if the faces look weird? Probably true that Revere was a better fit for him with its strange dream logic but putting him onto Strontium Dog was much more exciting just because it was an established strip.

It's Simon Harrison for me.
We never really die.