Main Menu

MEGAZINE 268

Started by mogzilla, 04 February, 2008, 04:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

have i actually got here first?

cover showing treasure steel with lawgivers pointing at her in bed next to a bloody corpse!
Nice filler dredd tale about a case of creds that gets shuffled around

part 3 of alan grant interview

armitage- following a first page manga/lesbian action(one for arris arris'thread no doubt. treasure wakes up next to dead woman

goerge romero interview

bob the galactic bumming around -i cant get into this at all

the paul grist guide to self publishing
tempest and some rats

nice issue cant be arsed going into depth as ive got ebay items ending soooon!

The Amstor Computer

The Alan Grant interview was fantastic, and brutally honest in places. Didn't realise he hated writing for Dredd so much now, though it really does come through in his work for the character.

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

mogzilla

i'm only going off the art of course maybe theyre just good friends!

JTurner

Alan Grant was throwing his toys out of the pram a bit. So DC didn't think you were the second coming? Live with it. What is it with 2000AD and all the whining and bitching? It's just a bit boring, now.

Seriously, over the years I keep reading of all of these editors and writers sniping at each other. Bloody egos.

Damn. it must be a Monday.

Actually, I really didn't think much of the Meg at all. Thank fuck the Prog was ace.

W. R. Logan

>Alan Grant was throwing his toys out of the pram a bit. So DC didn't think you were the second coming? Live with it.

i think you'll find the biggest problem Alan had with DC was the fax that halfway down said he wouldnt be doing shadow of the bat anymore.

Trout

Yaaaaaaaaaaawn. I'm most of the way through the Meg and haven't been impressed yet. The Grant interview was good but the comics strips a bit dull.

Only Tempest can save the day!

- Trout

Buttonman

Goodish Meg with a lot to like but plenty to forget.

Not sure about that cover - it's not clear that she's in bed with a dead body and a browsing reader may just think that she's on the blob and had an accident.

That Dredd was poor, a bit like that film '20 bucks' where we see money through a series of hands. Didn't engage me at all.

The Alan Grant interview was like Grandad's pants - pish and shite everywhere! Best bit for the 3rd week in a row.

I liked the cartoon opening of Armitage although I have seen something similar done in Family Guy. The bitchy SJS woman didn't cut it for me where are the robots and truth serum? This tale is taking a while to get motoring.

Same problem with Tempest - 3 weeks in and he's not moved 10 feet! A new player enters at the end - 3rd week in a row that's happened too!

Still to read the Romero and reviews so at least I'm getting a fair bang for my buck. Problems with all the strips but less so than previously and the trajectory is definitely upwards.

Richard

Alan Grant says they nearly did Mazeworld collections but then didn't. Personally I liked Mazeworld and would buy it. Am I alone?

The only thing wrong with Mazeworld was it didn't have enough lesbians.

IndigoPrime

"That Dredd was poor"

Mm. Morrison just doesn't seem to get Dredd, and that's been the way right from the start. With other non-Wagner writers, there are often odd things here and there, but Morrison's work feels like another strip entirely, like when that other Morrison was writing Dredd, or when McKenzie was, during the bad days.

I enjoyed the rest of (what I read of) the Meg, though. Yes, Tempest has somehow managed to become templated, but it's enjoyable and slightly nuts. Armitage has gone back to its roots, and is provingâ??for meâ??a really good story. And the Alan Grant interview was excellent. I still don't see the point of the film reviews (especially having 'coming soon' previews of stuff already in the cinema, and reviews of stuff that's been out for a while), but there you go. (I understand it from a budgetary standpoint, but if we have to have three pages of text-based reviews, why not make it about comics or trades that are out?)

DavidXBrunt

Or obscure cult stuff that's out on D.V.D.? Changing the remit to 'stuff we'd like but might have missed' would remove the need to be topical and would be more use. Reviews of Witchfinder General, MPD Psycho, and Sandbaggers (to pick three random things I think Meg readers would like) would be of more interest to me.

As for the rest of the Meg...It's a good sign that I was actively looking forward to the delivery instead of just expecting it at some point. A great turn around in recent months.

Dredd was so so. A nice idea mundanely executed. Bonus points for Smudge art. I was thinking it'd been a while since we'd seen his stuff. Was Cappucino really the last time he worked for Tharg?

Armitage was fun. I'm liking this run more than any of the previous. I quite like Stones stuf when he doesn't get too baroque. His last Benny Summerfield C.D. was fantastic, so perhaps I'm just feeling charitable. The opening page didn't work for me though. Needed to be proper Manga parody rather than a half hearted cartooniness. Armitage got the coolest moments in the comic, mind.

Tempest storms along nicely. Doesn't look or feel like anything else in Thargs fiefdom at the moment, and that's rarely an insult.

Alan Grants interview finished on a bang and I don't think he sounds bitter at all. He was sacked for all the wrong reasons and in a shitty way. And I'd be offended to see someone bragging like Millar is reported to have done after providing a meal and a bed for them.

Bob the Galactic Bum is belting. Funny, well drawn, and new to me. Perfect reprint.

Keef Monkey

Haven't read the whole meg yet but the Grant interview was great. I think he's got every right to have the odd dig at DC, if the fax they sent him was worded the way he says it was then that's a shocking way to sack someone. "Everything's going great and brilliant and the future looks bright, so guess what? We don't want you any more, get tae". Don't have the issue in front of me but I believe that's verbatim.

Proudhuff

Buttonman more or less says it all...

Alan Grant interview the best bit. I've enjoyed (?) hearing all the happenings behind some of the strange goings on in comics over the years, bit like a comics version of Chat or Hello

Thought that Dredd had a few holes in it, with Dredd turning up at the radpit or did I turn two pages at once?

yip, a culty 'stuff on DVD' would be better than film reviews in this Huff's opinion.

Hunblehand
DDT did a job on me

Trout

Phew. Tempest rescues the Meg!

Bloody good stuff, making up for a weak lead Dredd, and nothing much else to recommend the comic. I did enjoy the Grant thing, but I buy the Meg for its original strip content.

- Trout

JTurner

Perhaps I was a bit opinionated, earlier... But someone's got to play devils advocate ;) It was still very entertaining to read.

Armitage is currently the best thing in the Meg at the moment. I really hope that by June things start to look up. There's really nothing epic or spectacular happening. Dredd is very by the numbers and treading water while the weekly Dredd is probably the best it's ever been.

Tempest is mad action, enjoyable, and a good end-note, but there's no real epic, meaty stuff here. Certainly nothing that I'd want to buy a graphic novel collection of, anyhow. I was reading Xtinct in the bookshop the other day - we need more of this sort of thing, and yet we're stuck with filler and film reviews.