Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendan1

Quote from: Professah Byah on 11 October, 2011, 04:12:31 PM
Take some drugs, Brendan.  Don't be such a square.

I do take drugs. In moderation.

And I'm not a square. I resent that.

Ignatzmonster

X-Men First Class: An okay movie, I bear it no ill will. What impressed me the most was Fassbender. I'm pretty convinced he DOES have magnetic powers after his performance. Someone should call the men in charge, he should locked away to protect future generations. Or at least future actors that he makes look amaturish when when they act along side him.

Drive: This one divided my house right down the line. The missus couldn't stand it, and I fucking loved it. Slow with beautiful cinematography, great acting, and punctuated by ridiculous amounts of gore works for me. The rhythm of it reminded me a little of Beat Takeshi's stuff without the comedy.

Has anyone seen Tinker Tailor? It's not out in the States yet and I'm dying to hear about it.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: brendan1 on 11 October, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

You can neither take a joke, nor hand them out.
You have failed.

brendan1

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 October, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

You have failed.

Monger, we've been through this before. It's not a useful way to spend your time. You have an unfortunate predilection for picking the wrong fights at the wrong time. Just relax. You are who you are. Accept it, and try to make the best of it.

Van Dom

Assassination Games. As you may or may not know I am a massive Van Damme fan and although a lot of his recent output has been pish, this one was pretty decent. Not fantastic or anything, but well made, well directed, well acted and entertaining from start to finish. Only dragged ever so slightly for a few minutes in the middle. Van Damme used his acting chops again in this one (dont smirk, he's actual turned into a very bloody good actor of late, see JCVD, Wake of Death, Until Death, In Hell to name but a few) moreso than his martial arts ability (well, he is 50 I suppose) but luckily he had Scott Adkins on hand to supply a few nice little combo-moves. Van Damme's character was a bit of cnut in this one, a soul-less mo'fo hitman, dead inside from all the years of murdering people for money. And it shows. There's one part in particular where you go....I can't believe he just did that. Strong stuff.

Gripes with this----not the usual ones I have, about location, dodgy supporting cast, bad dialogue, as they were all pretty good. For some reason though, the director shot this in sepia, so it just looks like you are looking at the movie through a filter of piss. Strange -and annoying - choice. Film didn't need it, no need to be trying to go all arty on something like this. The other gripe is they COULD have fit in a bit more martial arts action, there were loads of opportunities but they didn't bite. I get it - they were going for 'realism' and 'realistically' a hitman wouldnt put his gun down to indulge in five minutes of kicking some armed villain around the place when he could just shoot him. Still...realism doesn't always equals fun in a movie!! Although I loved the ending of this (nice twist) I was also a bit disappointed it wasnt a five minute long sequence featuring lots of kicking.

Good flick though, and will be watched repeatedly! :)
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Ignatzmonster on 11 October, 2011, 09:39:51 PM
The rhythm of it reminded me a little of Beat Takeshi's stuff without the comedy.

and without Takeshi.

Professor Bear

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 October, 2011, 10:05:52 PM
Quote from: Ignatzmonster on 11 October, 2011, 09:39:51 PM
The rhythm of it reminded me a little of Beat Takeshi's stuff without the comedy.

and without Takeshi.

:lol: Decent point.

Tiplodocus

I'm another one who finds your (SBT) ability to find something to love in the most terrible of films utterly charming.

I know I can always trust a film review from SBT - I won't always watch the films because I know they aren't my bag.

LIVE AND LET DIE ain't all that though, Byah.  Quite a lot of it is cringe inducing if you have to watch it in a public place (like a cinema) and I think it has a pretty unlikeable message about race going on in there.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

That's part of the charm, Tips - that middle aged white English blokes thought blaxploitation was just another bandwagon.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: brendan1 on 11 October, 2011, 09:52:12 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 October, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

You have failed.

Monger, we've been through this before. It's not a useful way to spend your time. You have an unfortunate predilection for picking the wrong fights at the wrong time. Just relax. You are who you are. Accept it, and try to make the best of it.
This doesn't even deserve a face palm for your stupidity. Shame on you man.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 October, 2011, 11:58:02 PM
I'm another one who finds your (SBT) ability to find something to love in the most terrible of films utterly charming.

Thirded. Anyone else who wouldn't say no to Monsieur SBT should be displaying his monthly (ahem) wares in the Meg?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 12 October, 2011, 10:12:04 AM
Thirded. Anyone else who wouldn't say no to Monsieur SBT should be displaying his monthly (ahem) wares in the Meg?

I think Kim Newman provides a much better service over at SFX or Empire or whatever it is he writes for, with his Video Dungeon, but thanks! That's actually one of the reasons why I like the movie reviews in the Meg- because though I seldom agree with anything he says, it's great to have different opinions beyond the ususal "Everything (director a) does is marvellous and nothing (director b) has done since 1986 has been worthwhile." Take each and everything as they come, but don't be afraid to trust your instincts when it comes to seeing/ not seeing stuff", that's what I say. And never, ever, listen to reviews when it comes to choosing what to see.

SBT

Eric Plumrose

DRIVE. A glorious '80s pastiche that on occasion almost verges on parody. I'm sure there are films to better compare it to (and I've no idea if it does march to the Takeshi of a different drum) but the minimal dialogue and haunting sountrack had me thinking of THE HITCHER.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Eric Plumrose

We now return you to the SBT love-in.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.