Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Mardroid on 31 March, 2013, 05:59:33 PM

Raising=Raimi
Android Swift-type spell-checker in action there.

There'll be a Dr. Who episode about it before the seasons finished....  ::)

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Watched Labyrinth last night. All day I've had 'DANCE, MAGIC DANCE!' stuck in my head and have been wondering where I can get a marvelous pair of trousers like what David Bowie wears. I like to think Bowie just showed up on set looking like that. Jim Henson was all like "WARDROBE FOR MISTER BOW....nevermind!"
You may quote me on that.

willthemightyW

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 March, 2013, 07:16:41 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 31 March, 2013, 05:59:33 PM

Raising=Raimi
Android Swift-type spell-checker in action there.

There'll be a Dr. Who episode about it before the seasons finished....  ::)

Brilliant!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 31 March, 2013, 03:16:19 PM
The Secret in their eyes. (The link takes you to the film's wikipedia page, so avoid if you havent seen this film).

Pretty darn good, and captures the mid-70's look, and the political turmoil of Argentina perfectly. And check out the sequence set in the football stadium. Incredible! The reveal of what became of the killer was slightly weak in its execution, but compelling stuff none-the-less

You might have mentioned it was still up on iplayer, Jack. I think I'll give it a bash tonight, based on your recommendation.

Tiplodocus

The Social Network.
Amazingly tense and gripping for what is basically two hours of people talking. Its not even showy courtroom drama stuff.
Real life is rarely this exciting, especially when it features nerds so I'm guessing there's lots of innacuracies in there, again a clue being that it comes down mostly on the side of Spider-man. Great central performances as well.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Link Prime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 01 April, 2013, 07:52:14 PM
The Social Network.

Great movie.
And that's coming from someone who abhors and has never used Facebook!

Tiplodocus

Starter for Ten.
A nostalgia filled (well for my age group) but utterly predictable rom com saved only by a great soundtrack (well, for my age group)having Sherlock and Professor X in the unusual University Challenge set up. Tiny Tips said "The jokes were very good, there just weren't enough of them".

I agree with his sentiments and echo them in regards to Alice Eve in her ("Set phasers to chug!") underwear.

Goaty

John Carter

I finally watch it at parent's Sky Movies at Easter.

I did enjoy it, very enjoyable film, with well actions and, thought the aliens really good in it, love the little humour with them such as [spoiler]John Carter lead the army but arrived at wrong place and one alien slam his head! [/spoiler]

The story is okay, as nice fights, and love that "dog" and I want that powers John got, nice with jumps!

And the film should be called John Carter of Mars!

Spikes

Quote from: sauchie on 01 April, 2013, 06:02:19 PM
You might have mentioned it was still up on iplayer, Jack. I think I'll give it a bash tonight, based on your recommendation.

Ah, for some reason i could have sworn it was film4, or some such - the lack of adverts didnt seem to register that night! 
Nice that its on the i-player, as i missed the first 5 mins, myself.

smilersaltash

Heavily influenced by the £3 price tag, decided to ignore the critics and watch Priest.
Really enjoyed it.  Starting to think if Rotten Tomatoes don't like a film, and it stars Karl Urban I should go watch straight away.

Frank

Quote from: sauchie on 01 April, 2013, 06:02:19 PM
Quote from: Judge Jack on 31 March, 2013, 03:16:19 PM
The Secret in their eyes. (The link takes you to the film's wikipedia page, so avoid if you havent seen this film).

Pretty darn good, and captures the mid-70's look, and the political turmoil of Argentina perfectly. And check out the sequence set in the football stadium. Incredible! The reveal of what became of the killer was slightly weak in its execution, but compelling stuff none-the-less

Thanks for the recommendation, Jack; thoroughly enjoyed that. The parallels it drew between the investigation and the personal lives of everyone involved meant it was a proper grown-up film, like they don't make anymore. And aye, what about that aerial shot zooming into the stadium (57m 40s) - it's was a cheat, but it's still hugely impressive and provided a nice contrast in scale and tone to all the intimate human drama which preceded it. Remind you of anything?

20-25 years ago, that would have been a stick-on for an English language remake, but a film about memory, loss and folk who don't look like teenagers never quite getting together, wrapped up in a crime story which doesn't have a simple resolution, would die on its arse in cinemas today. The pacing's off, but it's still recommended.

iplayer: The Secret In Their Eyes

ThryllSeekyr

I am currently towards the end of a three day The Walking Dead marathon. On the third day now, which will end right up at the point [spoiler]when Merl gets shot by the Governor and comes back as a walker. [/spoiler]

Tiplodocus

GI JOE: RETALLIATION
Sadly nowhere near as dumb as the first film or the trailer suggest. Tiny Tips suggested the second half was way too realistic and as a result just a bit boring. It still manages to be ridiculous but not in the "ninjas fighting under a death laser nuclear reactor under an exploding ice cap" sort of way.

It gets plus points for:
Actually showing how the characters extricate themself from a tricky hole
[spoiler]Channing Tatum taking an early bath
A clever falling down stairs gag which I can't believe I have never seen done before[/spoiler]

JamesC

Killer Joe. Memorable chicken drumstick scene.

The Sweeney. The Shitty.

Buttonman

Doggy action with The Breed followed by western hijinx in Westbound