Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

The Jonah Hex film sucks (and I say that as a huge fan of the character) the Spirit film is even worse. If you want to ee a fun version of The Spirit on screen, get on Youtube and search out the Sam Jones TV version. Corny but very in the spirit of the character.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

ThryllSeekyr

I watched Robocop Two on the telly just now and I thought it would tank, but wasn't so bad after all.

Mabs

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 21 April, 2013, 11:35:23 AM
I watched Robocop Two on the telly just now and I thought it would tank, but wasn't so bad after all.

I've got quite a soft spot for Robocop 2! It's maybe not as great as the first film but theres still a lot of enjoyment to be derived. The opening is really excellent and reminiscent of Hard Boiled (does Robo hold a baby in his arm? I've forgotten as i watched it more than a decade ago). And a terrifying nemesis in Cain/ Robocop 2. I remember shitting myself as a kid when his robot version reared its scary head for the first time!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

radiator

I've never before seen or heard anything remotely positive about Jonah Hex. No force on Earth could get me to watch it!

I would say to everyone - avoid The Spirit like the plague. It is mindbendingly awful. I somehow ended up getting press ganged into seeing it at the cinema. Ugh. Was only worth it for discussing how bizarre it was in the pub afterwards. It's so surreal at times its like a big budget student art film, and not in a good way. Imagine the Sin City movie (which I really like), with its worst aspects magnified by 1000, and with none of the focus or consistency of tone.

You have been warned!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: radiator on 21 April, 2013, 02:10:19 PM

I would say to everyone - avoid The Spirit like the plague. It is mindbendingly awful.

The trouble is I've heard this so many times and completely accept it will be, but need to see it myself so I know for sure and feel entitled to outraged at what they've done to one of my all time favourites.

I know, I know that's so stupid but I know I've got to do it in the end!

Professor Bear

A mate has told me that The Spirit is hilarious and the bad reviews are from people not viewing it as a comedy.  From what I have seen, he may be onto something.

Cloud Atlas is one of those films that could have gone either way, derived as it is from a novel whose multiple timelines and convergent themes have encouraged the worst kind of snob to sing about how plebs won't get what the rather straightforward book/film is about, but if anything the film over-explains itself on multiple occasions, with lots of visual metaphors thrown in for good measure.  Hugo Weaving as The Hitcher from Boosh, the headmistress from St Trinians and Charlie Chan from those old detective films they don't show much on tv no more for some reason is, as you can imagine, a bit distracting from the rest of the non-hilarity, but the cast generally does a good job to the point you forget who it is behind all the make-up - Hugh Grant as a post-apocalyptic cannibal orc-type was unrecogniseable.
Damn good film, when it finished I couldn't believe three hours had just gone by.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 21 April, 2013, 04:37:41 PM
A mate has told me that The Spirit is hilarious and the bad reviews are from people not viewing it as a comedy.  From what I have seen, he may be onto something.

The trouble is if someone has to tell you a comedy...

... see I have to see it, if I'd seen it I could have filled that post with indignant rage that someone should dare defend it. As it is I just have to suggest there's a possible problem...

von Boom

Oblivion. Got to see it for free. That's probably the best thing I can say about it.

[spoiler]Tom Cruise double proves he's not homosexual while recapturing the elements of Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Independence Day, Space Odyssey: 2001, and Return of the Jedi. Great visuals, but a blindingly obvious plot line with little to no surprises.[/spoiler]

radiator

The Spirit is definitely not intended to be a comedy.

What it is, is tonally all over the frickin' place.

Hawkmumbler

I love The Spirit! Awful, yes. Unintentionaly hilarious? Oh hell yes!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: von Boom on 21 April, 2013, 07:52:06 PM
Oblivion. Got to see it for free. That's probably the best thing I can say about it.

[spoiler]Tom Cruise double proves he's not homosexual while recapturing the elements of Top Gun, Days of Thunder, Independence Day, Space Odyssey: 2001, and Return of the Jedi. Great visuals, but a blindingly obvious plot line with little to no surprises.[/spoiler]

What he said, but I'll also add it has some lovely visuals, but is let down by a 'by the numbers' sci-fi plot. That, and Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise.

Albion

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 April, 2013, 09:58:25 AM
I'm sill to see The Spirit (its on my Lovefilm list) and wonder how I'll feel after that one!

I know nothing about The Spirit comics but as a film it was even worse than Jonah Hex and I hated that too.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 April, 2013, 06:19:18 PMThe trouble is if someone has to tell you a comedy...

Nobody told him it was a comedy, he saw it on opening night.  I suspect it's the Batman and Robin paradigm: it's not grim and super-gritty and super-serious and DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN I THINK THIS SUPERHERO FILM MAY ACTUALLY BE TRYING TO BE FUN THE VERY FUCKING NERVE so audiences of po-faced clenched-sphincter fanboys hated it in case anyone else watched it and failed to realise that COMICS NOT JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE BIFF POW.

Although I don't rule out that it may actually be utterly shite.

JamesC

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 21 April, 2013, 09:55:21 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 21 April, 2013, 06:19:18 PMThe trouble is if someone has to tell you a comedy...

Nobody told him it was a comedy, he saw it on opening night.  I suspect it's the Batman and Robin paradigm: it's not grim and super-gritty and super-serious and DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN I THINK THIS SUPERHERO FILM MAY ACTUALLY BE TRYING TO BE FUN THE VERY FUCKING NERVE so audiences of po-faced clenched-sphincter fanboys hated it in case anyone else watched it and failed to realise that COMICS NOT JUST FOR KIDS ANYMORE BIFF

I may be mistaken but I think you're talking bollocks!

Plenty of comic book films are fun and well regarded. Flash Gordon, Superman 2 and Spider-Man 2 spring to mind.
Batman and Robin is trying to be fun but is actually just embarrassing shite.

Hawkmumbler

I seem to be in the minority who consider Spider-Man 2 to be the biggest load of balls ever to engraciate a wide audience. It's just dire nonsense.