Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

QuoteOn the positive side, I didn't recognise Anton Yelchin as Reese; sometimes he reminded me so much of Biehn I assumed there was digital trickery involved, but I think he conveyed that all through mannerisms and vocal inflection - y'know, acting.

Oh yes, he was good. My reference to 'dodgy acting' wouldn't include him. Actually most of the acting wasn't bad, but there was something about the scenes between Worthington's character and Blair Williams which fell rather flat to me. Probably the script had more to blame than their actual performance though, to be fair.

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 July, 2013, 04:52:28 PM
Part of me would love to step into that parallel universe where they stuck with the original idea of Lance Henrickssen as the Terminator. Much as I like Arnold's version.

I also like Arnies' version and thought T2 was an excellent movie......T3 and T4 not so much....
Not dreadful, but given the 'subject matter' could have been so much better...
And I had never heard that Lance Henrickssen was considered for the role originally !!!...... :o.
I would really have liked to have seen that !!
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Charlie boy

Quote from: Mardroid on 14 July, 2013, 04:52:28 PM
Part of me would love to step into that parallel universe where they stuck with the original idea of Lance Henrickssen as the Terminator. Much as I like Arnold's version.
What about that other parallel universe, where OJ Simpson was the Terminator because Cameron was willing to believe people could view him as a killer?! Too morbid? I remember reading a Lance Henrickssen interview some years back where he discussed his trying to impress Cameron for the role and it sounded a little too much like he was trying to come across as nasty instead of emotionless (also put his voice down to 50 Marlboros a day since an early age, so I've no idea how he's still going) so I think Arnold was the right choice for it. I'd still like to see Henrickssen as The Saint of Killers if HBO or whoever in Hollywood get that Preacher adaptation going though.

JamesC

I think Michael Biehn was going to be the Terminator too at some point with Arnie as the human soldier - the idea being that they'd make the Terminator look like a normal bloke but an elite robot fighting human would likely be built like a brick shithouse. Then they realised Arnie could hardly speak the language and they reversed the roles.

I'm glad Arnie got the role - it was his big break and without it he may not have become one of the greatest action stars of the 80s and 90s.

I always wished Michael Biehn had done more stuff though.

Charlie boy

Arnie was the one who got the most off Terminator but 'my' generation had Beihn as Reese and Hicks to have as big screen heroes! Everybody wanted to be Hicks when you were playing Aliens. I think- when young- a lot of the love you have for Scwarzenegger isn't just because of the films but because you look at him and think "I want to be that muscley when I grow up."

Ghost MacRoth

The way I heard it, is that Arnie was the one who chased the change, and had to convince Cameron to let him be the Termi. 
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Charlie boy on 14 July, 2013, 09:18:11 PM
I think- when young- a lot of the love you have for Scwarzenegger isn't just because of the films but because you look at him and think "I want to be that muscley when I grow up."

I can't say I ever empathised with that feeling. I always thought he looked awkward and had man-tits.

Charlie boy

Now you've got me wondering if only kids from Liverpool wanted to grow up with his physique! To those of you that didn't- come on! He picked up a car in Twins! A car! Seriously- when I was at a young age, Scwarzenegger was the only man you were willing to believe could come out of a fight with your dad the better man!

Frank

I only knew Schwarzenegger from Terminator and Predator, where his physique is in proportion to the stylistic excesses of the material; it wasn't until much later when I saw how ridiculous he looked squeezed into human clothing in Raw Deal that I realised how grotesguely deformed he'd made himself. Similarly, I didn't realise how homo-erotic his image was until the US version of gay culture started appearing on Channel Four - until then I thought gay guys were Kenneth Williams and Jimmy Somerville, not muscled hunks in tight breeks who stalked their prey in clubs playing deafening techno.

sheldipez

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 14 July, 2013, 09:19:21 PM
The way I heard it, is that Arnie was the one who chased the change, and had to convince Cameron to let him be the Termi.

In Arnie's biography he says that Cameron persuaded him to be the terminator as he spent most of their meeting (about when he could play the part of Kyle) talking about how the guy playing terminator would have to act to really sell it. Arnie said he was hesitant to take do it as he only wanted to play the hero in movies as any villain roles wouldn't be any good for his image.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I heard Arnie learned how to take apart and reload all the weapons blind folded, because a machine wouldn't nee to look. That's practically method acting.
You may quote me on that.

Buttonman

Tonight on my last night home alone I watched I Give It A Year which was pretty good - couple of laugh out loud sceens especially the one with the digital photoframe. Also saw G.I. Joe : Retaliation which was a lot of rubbish but quite a lot of fun too. Back to Merchant Ivory tomorrow!

I, Cosh

Everybody wanted to be Hicks when you were playing Aliens.
Is this a joke? Can't remember ever playing Aliens but, if I had, there would only have been one choice of marine to go: Vasquez... You're just too bad!
We never really die.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Cosh on 15 July, 2013, 12:36:41 AM
Everybody wanted to be Hicks when you were playing Aliens.
Is this a joke? Can't remember ever playing Aliens but, if I had, there would only have been one choice of marine to go: Vasquez... You're just too bad!

I can't say I ever played at Aliens either, but I would have thought the obvious choice would the goddamned Alien.
You may quote me on that.

Charlie boy

You wanted to be the baddie in the games you played growing up?!
No, everybody wanted to be Hicks and do the "Eat this!" line. I think we struggled with all the other names once Hicks had been taken.