Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

"...it's got to be better than comics"???  This is just pure gibberish to me. ;)

Professor Bear

I can vaguely recall Brigette Nielson being considered some sort of valkyrie-type beauty in the 1980s and early 1990s.  I think it's "just one of those things" you have to accept of other eras, like Sean Connery being considered a good James Bond.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: pictsy on 25 November, 2013, 04:04:10 PMI've never watched The English Patient either and have no plans to.

I didn't think it would be my cup of tea but I liked it, maybe give it a shot sometime?

Ghost MacRoth

Monsters University.

Nothing unexpected, the usual Pixar fare, well worth a watch.  Could go on more, but there's no point, if you don't like Pixar movies, don't watch this.  If you DO like Pixar movies, you'll enjoy it.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: pictsy on 26 November, 2013, 07:56:54 PM
Cypher

Don't know if it was the writers trying to be clever of just some coincidence but, either way, the main character's surname did kinda give away the twist.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

JamesC

Quote from: pictsy on 26 November, 2013, 07:56:54 PM
Cypher

Really enjoy this film, seen it a number of times now.  I liked the premise and execution.  It is very self contained within its own premise offering us little beyond what we need to follow the story.  It may have been done because it was a budget film - I have no idea about it's production costs, but it lends it an almost claustrophobic quality which gets exemplified near the conclusion.  I thoroughly enjoy it.  A little gem I stumbled upon by accident years ago and glad I did.

I remember seeing half of this very late at night a few years ago and making a mental note to watch the whole thing at a later date. I then forgot all about it so thanks for reminding me!

pictsy

Quote from: JamesC on 27 November, 2013, 10:30:33 AM
I remember seeing half of this very late at night a few years ago and making a mental note to watch the whole thing at a later date. I then forgot all about it so thanks for reminding me!

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it ;)

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 27 November, 2013, 09:57:48 AM
Don't know if it was the writers trying to be clever of just some coincidence but, either way, the main character's surname did kinda give away the twist.

Sullivan or Rooks?  Either way I don't see what you're getting at, would you be willing to explain?

For some odd reasons every time I watch the film I think they are saying Brooks not Rooks.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: pictsy on 27 November, 2013, 12:44:28 PM
Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 27 November, 2013, 09:57:48 AM

Sullivan or Rooks?  Either way I don't see what you're getting at, would you be willing to explain?

The other one:

(Hmm. Can't SPOILER links, it seems, so look away now if you don't want it, y'know, spoilered)

THE MAN WHO WAS THURSBY

pictsy

I wasn't aware of the story or even the author, but I get your meaning.  I don't think many people would figure out one of the twists at the end from that reference.  Impressive that you did ;)

Recrewt

Quote from: pictsy on 27 November, 2013, 03:36:50 PM
I wasn't aware of the story or even the author, but I get your meaning.  I don't think many people would figure out one of the twists at the end from that reference.  Impressive that you did ;)

Yeah, I thought he was referring to John Cyborg-Sent-From-The-Future-To-Kill-Sarah-Connor.  ;) :lol:

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: pictsy on 27 November, 2013, 03:36:50 PM

Assuming it was deliberate, it does rather defeat the point of even having a twist if you're prepared to let some superficial fluff spoil it for anyone. 'Donner' would have been far less conspicuous, 'Domingo' or 'DiManche' more fitting.

Quote from: Recrewt on 27 November, 2013, 03:53:03 PM
Yeah, I thought he was referring to John Cyborg-Sent-From-The-Future-To-Kill-Sarah-Connor.  ;) :lol:

My turn to ask "I don't see what you're getting at, would you be willing to explain?"

Theblazeuk

Watched Gravity last night.

Pretty damn good, tense and epic - slight allowances on the science but other than Apollo 13 this is as close as it gets. Obviously not a truly realistic depiction as that would be an "Oh shit-kkkkkzz" 10 minute movie about the unfortunate deaths of some extremely unlucky astronauts. Worth watching in 3D as much as I hated forking over the extra £10 for my pair of tickets - next time I'm seeing it at the bloody imax for those prices.

Mabs

Quote from: radiator on 25 November, 2013, 03:02:39 PM
Maybe I should give it another shot but I just remember finding Lost in Translation smug, pretentious and booooooring. Not even Murray could keep me interested.

I felt the total opposite; I loved it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched Fist of Fury; the remastered uncut edition. It was an absolute arse-kicker! I hadn't watched it in years, or decades to be precise. The last I watched it was a VHS copy, and my memory of it was vague. But the producers of this 2 disc ultimate edition have done the film justice. The picture quality is superb, rarely any grain at all. And presented in glorious colour, sound and in widescreen. Sure the film may look a bit dated now, but it still manages to draw you in. Bruce Lee plays a student to the Jingwu School, he seeks revenge for the murder of his master who was poisoned by a rival Japanese school. Bruce Lee's presence throughout the film is almost hypnotic; you can't take your eyes off him and his fight scenes are a joy to watch. The standout includes him beating up a whole school of Japanese Bushido students, after they send his school a gift; a framed sign with the words 'The Sick man of Asia', i.e, an offensive gesture to show that Japan (who were occupying China at the time) were the mighty, and China, the sick man of Asia. And so how thrilling was it to see Bruce Lee hand their arses to them, and force feed them that sign! The production design of the sets were really lovely, capturing the flavour of the time, and the baddies were great fun to watch. From the weasily and traitorous translator Wu En, to the Japanese dojo master with the awesome 'tache, Hiroshi Suzuki. Suffice to say they all get their comeuppance in a thrilling and entertaining manner.

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Recrewt

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 28 November, 2013, 09:35:11 AM
Quote from: Recrewt on 27 November, 2013, 03:53:03 PM

My turn to ask "I don't see what you're getting at, would you be willing to explain?"

Nothing really just a joke as in that's his full name "John Cyborg-Sent, etc....".  Perhaps I have been spending too much time on the Monty Python thread and remembering names such as "Bernard Luxury-Yacht".

OK, I'll get my coat.  :-[

pictsy

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

I had memories of being disappointed by this film but I couldn't remember why.  Last night it all came flooding back.  My biggest gripe with this film is its wasted potential.  My second biggest gripe is the poor continuity.  The special effects are really up to muster either.

The film had a strong enough premise to be pretty damn epic even with it's obviously small budget.  It was fun to watch Bill Nighy and Michael Sheen fight it out to see who is the better actor.  Michael Sheen won the fight.

Nevertheless, it's still watchable and not as bad as Underworld: Awakening which I have no inclination of watching again any time soon.