Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: HdE on 04 January, 2014, 03:43:58 AM
But, I can at least recommend 'Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists' as a genuine bona fide rip-roaring 90 minutes of unadulterated entertainment. Three quid at Sainsbury's

Yep. I'll take that hint and hunt out a Sainsburys :D My missus is a huge fan of that and being just a stone's throw away from where it was all made (the ship model is ENORMOUS) it's ridiculous it's not already in our collection frankly.

Mabs

Yeah I saw that for £3 while out shopping. Will pick it up today! (Promethe-arse was also going for the same price).
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

TordelBack

Piratesis ace at any price: fun, excellent tunes and mildly educational.  My kids were very disappointed when the long-promised statue of Darwin in the Nat Hist Museum in London proved to be of some beardy old bloke.  Although he was positioned at the top of some stairs so he could at least theoretically look down women's tops.

Wish they'd make some more Pirates... films.  It was streets ahead of the Ice Ages and even the Madagascars.

My most recent watches were Tangled and ST: The Motion Picture.  Both were really rather brill. Always gobsmacked at how well the effects, sets and costumes for ST:TMP stand up - every penny is on the screen.

CrazyFoxMachine

No sign of Pirates in a mid-sized urban Sainsburys. Buggeration it was going to be a crafty gift for milady - she'll have to settle for mounds of facon and chocolate.

JudgeGerry

Watched Elysium the other night, best film I have seen in a while  :cool:

HdE

[Just to go off on a tiny bit of a tangent here:

quote author=Mabs link=topic=31824.msg803862#msg803862 date=1388825819]
Yeah I saw that for £3 while out shopping. Will pick it up today! (Promethe-arse was also going for the same price).
[/quote]

I'm honestly pretty shocked at how cheap some of the stuff in our local Sainsburys is. Tesco too, for that matter. It's VERY tempting to trek down there and have a spending spree.

Blu rays are quite affordable in there, but the real cheapness is on DVDs. I've kind of got into the 'get it in hi-def if they've got it' mindset, but there's such a wealth of stuff in there for under a fiver, it's ridiculous.

However, I won't be making the trip. The urge is there to pick up G.I. Joe: Retaliation now, and I need to not go near shops until it passes.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Tiplodocus

PRETTY WOMAN

It was on the telly late the other night, I've never seen it before and, as it's such a 90s cultural reference point, I was drawn in to see it to the end.

My goodness but it's a terrible piece of work by almost any measure you can imagine.

To be fair, I was expecting it to be a predictable rom-com which glamourises prostitution. It didn't disappoint - in fact, I wasn't prepared for just how predictable it was and how glamourous it made Julia Roberts lifestyle.

There were also not actually any laughs to be had anywhere (Larry Miller raises a half smile).

It also seems like there must be a Director's cut out there with an extra hour of character stuff that makes sense of the sudden character reversals. Hotel Manager Hector Elizondo becomes a fan of Julia Robert's character after seeing her in a pretty dress.  Richard Gere changes career after talking about his Dad for thirty seconds (he continues to be a dick to Julia Roberts though).

But what shocked me most was how BAD Richard Gere actually is in this. I'm pretty sure I've seen him act in other things - even when playing this typical kind of dick that was presented as a protaganist in most late Eighties and early Nineties films - but he limits himself to a pout and some Joey from Friends level emoting here.

I felt dirty after watching it. And not in a good way.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

Pretty Woman was 90s version of Fifty Shades of Grey

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 January, 2014, 02:59:10 PM
My goodness but it's a terrible piece of work by almost any measure you can imagine.

It does the truly amazing job of being less enlightened in every way than the 1912 and 1964 versions.  Atrocious film.  Although Julia Roberts does at least live up to the title.

JamesC

Richard Gere does drive a rather nice Lotus Esprit in it though.

Spikes

Quote from: Mardroid on 02 January, 2014, 11:04:27 AM
The sound though... the volume for speech was way too low. I've often found this with DVDs in the past but it's something I particularly  noticed this time. I had to turn the volume up much higher than normal.

DVD's or Blu-Ray's?

But yes, ive noticed this problem, as have a few other people I know. But only whilst watching stuff on Blu-Ray

DrJomster

The Great Beauty was quite good. An Italian film. Give it a whirl in the cinema if you get the chance.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

NapalmKev

Carrie - the remake.

I'm a big fan of the original, but the new version just seems utterly pointless. The acting is ok at best and the film itself is bland and uninteresting.

What a waste!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Mabs

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 04 January, 2014, 12:05:50 PM
No sign of Pirates in a mid-sized urban Sainsburys. Buggeration it was going to be a crafty gift for milady - she'll have to settle for mounds of facon and chocolate.

Hi CrazyFox, PM me your address and I'll send you a copy in the post!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mardroid

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 January, 2014, 06:12:45 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 02 January, 2014, 11:04:27 AM
The sound though... the volume for speech was way too low. I've often found this with DVDs in the past but it's something I particularly  noticed this time. I had to turn the volume up much higher than normal.

DVD's or Blu-Ray's?

But yes, ive noticed this problem, as have a few other people I know. But only whilst watching stuff on Blu-Ray

This was on Blu-ray. I have noticed it a lot on other films on DVD though.

I watched the DVDs on my PS2. The Blu-ray on my new(ish)* PS3. Just mentioning that in case the device plays a part. I don't think it does.

*I've actually had it for several months (I think a year actually) now, but only started using it regularly on recently getting my new HD telly.