Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

The Jungle Book is great, darker than the original cartoon although still a Disney production. Mowgli, GCI and voice cast are all brilliant. Two thumbs up from me.

Tiplodocus

EYE IN THE SKY
Helen Mirren, Aaron Paul and Alan Rickman headline in this simple tale of a single drone observation mission which escalates.

Essentially, it's one drawn out set piece - almost in real time as people ponder the cost of collateral damage vs. eliminating a clear and present danger.

Good performances from all involved (strangely, the usually reliable Iain Glenn comes off a bit duff as a minister on the toilet) and, like Ex-Machina which I also watched this weekend, manages to make conversation and mundane scenes seem almost unberably tense.

The tension tales off a bit in the second half but this is made up for by some simple touches that remind you that everyone involved in a war is human. ([spoiler]The militia, previously shown as out and out bad guys toss aside their weapons in an instant to rush the girl to hospital. And Rickman explaining how he isn't an armchair General.)[/spoiler].

It doesn't tell you what to think - just lays it all out there and lets you decide whether a good thing or a bad thing happened. (Or if it did, I was being typically dense and missed it).

Worth a watch.  What else has Gavin Hood done?

One other question: Is the technology on show all for real? I'm thinking in particular of that mini-drone bug (like the thing out of Zelda).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

The mini-drone bug is not real. Yet....

Zootropolis may not be a classic on the level of Toy Story or the Incredibles, but it's thoroughly enjoyable and makes its points well throughout, without letting them get in the way of the story or the fun. The animation is beautiful and the design is frankly, depressing. Why does the real world look so crap? Can't we make cities with 7 different ecosystems? Or at the very least, trains with a viewing platform!? Animals do it better it seems.

Amazed at some of the (albeit tiny) backlash I saw where people thought it was too heavy handed in its moral message.

[edit just to say: Tordels said the stuff I missed out much better.]

Satanist

Hungover yesterday and needing comfort I watched the original Robocop for the umpteenth time. I can confirm it is still awesome!

I then watched Michael Moores Where to invade next which views more like a tv special than an actual movie documentary if that makes sense. Still enjoyed it but it does cover some very old ground.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Spaceghost

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 25 April, 2016, 10:47:27 AM

Zootropolis may not be a classic on the level of Toy Story or the Incredibles, but it's thoroughly enjoyable and makes its points well throughout, without letting them get in the way of the story or the fun. The animation is beautiful and the design is frankly, depressing. Why does the real world look so crap? Can't we make cities with 7 different ecosystems? Or at the very least, trains with a viewing platform!? Animals do it better it seems.

Amazed at some of the (albeit tiny) backlash I saw where people thought it was too heavy handed in its moral message.

All the way through the film I couldn't stop wondering what the tame carnivores actually eat...
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Spaceghost on 25 April, 2016, 12:30:07 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 25 April, 2016, 10:47:27 AM

All the way through the film I couldn't stop wondering what the tame carnivores actually eat...
Vegans would have you believe tofu. Or quorn.

Tiplodocus

Diet is much more varied than that. I haven't had any tofu in months.  And only two bits of quorn in the last month.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

One word:

Resyk.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 April, 2016, 12:45:57 PM
Diet is much more varied than that. I haven't had any tofu in months.  And only two bits of quorn in the last month.
I would have thought, taking into account we are talking about Tigers, Fox's and Polar Bears here, it would have been apparent I was being very tongue in cheek.

Wasn't targeting you in particular Tips.
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 25 April, 2016, 12:47:58 PM

One word:

Resyk.
SOYLANT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

TordelBack

I certainly went in with that very question in my mind, but it was repeated so often that the inhabitants had evolved from their wild origins (and their natural history museum shows this) that I took this as the answer: species do switch diet dramatically (e.g. Pandas, bees, numerous fish) Note that the animals are explicitly divided into Predators and Prey, not carnivores omnivores and herbivores, so physical form and ancient instinct, rather than diet, define them.

Spikes

Newly purchased on Blu-ray (no extras, but uncut, and not too bad a print. Certainly a vast improvememnt on the old VIPCO DVD release..) The Vault of Horror. Classic 70's Amicus Horror.

Hawkmumbler

FOPP's current sale on many Arrow Video BD's resulted on a very happy me nabbing and enjoying the hammer's take on The Hound of The Baskervilles. It's heavy on the gothic atmosphere and set pieces, a few brave additions to the source material and some, quite frankly, phenomenal performances from Cushing and Lee, means this is amongst my favourite adaptations to bare the Sharlock Holmes banner. Brilliant stuff.

Colin YNWA

Just finished watching Terry Gilliam's Brazil. Its not subtle and quite brute, it wears its themes and ideas loud and proud, in some ways its very like our own 2000ad in flavour and tone. By heck therefore its as good as I remember.

Fantastic film and I'm ashamed of myself that its taken me so long to return to it - been years since I've seen it.

Spikes

Ah, yes. Brazil. A cracking film if ever there was. And one I've not seen in ages, either.
Was it on Film4 recently, or some such? Caught that it was on, but it was late showing on a School night, so made a mental note to pick off the shelf for a much needed re-watch at a more convenient time.

And HMV are doing an Arrow sale as well. Certainly some tasty releases on offer, though I'd bought most on their initial release. But very tempted by their Burbs Blu-ray.

Colin YNWA

Yeah recorded it off Film4 and it only took me 3 sittings to get through. I like a film that survives my brutal lack of time these days!