Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

I love The World's End. It doesn't seem to get the same amount of love as Shaun or Hot Fuzz but I think it's at least as good as them (although Shaun has a special place in my heart I think just because of the horror subject matter and the way it came about - being a huge Spaced fan and going to see the first movie from that team felt really special).

There are times I think it's my favourite, I'm only in my thirties but it really nailed that particular kind of vague melancholy that I'd started to feel at the time when thinking back to similar legendary nights as a teenager. Plus it's a fantastically funny comedy so there's that, brilliant film.

Smith

Saddest part is,we all have a friend like Gary King.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Smith on 03 February, 2017, 09:47:18 AM
Saddest part is,we all have a friend like Gary King.

Try realising that you almost certainly are Gary King!

Edit: although I now remember that I don't own a Sisters of Mercy t-shirt. Phew! Narrow escape, there...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Smith

Ah yes,that would be sad.
I think the difference in themes would be that The Worlds End rejects growing up while the other two accepted it.

I, Cosh

The Great Wall. Much has been made of the importance of Chinese finance and sales for big movies recently. This film certainly shows that the Beijing cinemagoer is no less discerning than their American or British equivalent.

It's basically a whole film about the battle of Helm's Deep with hot Chinese spear ladies instead of elves and gruff Chinese sword men instead of dwarves. Matt Damon is a big hobbit in the wrong place at the wrong time. Things blow up and whizz past your eyes in 3D while bonds of mutual trust and respect are forged, broken and remade stronger.

The main problem is that the baddies, in stark contrast to our noble heroes, are a faceless horde of interchangeable drones with no individuality or purpose other than to destroy. It would never have been a classic but a decent villain always goes a long way with this kind of thing.
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 03 February, 2017, 09:22:31 AM
I love The World's End. It doesn't seem to get the same amount of love as Shaun or Hot Fuzz but I think it's at least as good as them (although Shaun has a special place in my heart I think just because of the horror subject matter and the way it came about - being a huge Spaced fan and going to see the first movie from that team felt really special).

There are times I think it's my favourite, I'm only in my thirties but it really nailed that particular kind of vague melancholy that I'd started to feel at the time when thinking back to similar legendary nights as a teenager. Plus it's a fantastically funny comedy so there's that, brilliant film.
World's End is by far the best film of the three for me. Iv'e always thought Hot Fuzz was dross, Shaun is fun and gets by on residual affection for Spaced while World's End actually has a bit of meat behind the pastiche. A central theme which I imagine anyone who has grown up with the creators is bound to identify with in some part.
We never really die.

dweezil2

I really like The World's End, i think it will age considerably better than Hot Fuzz in the long term.
Crap ending though, ironically. 
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Theblazeuk

QuoteThe main problem is that the baddies, in stark contrast to our noble heroes, are a faceless horde of interchangeable drones with no individuality or purpose other than to destroy.

Unlike the Uruk-Hai/Orcs/Sauron? :)

Smith

Quote from: dweezil2 on 03 February, 2017, 12:40:27 PM
I really like The World's End, i think it will age considerably better than Hot Fuzz in the long term.
I agree about the ending.

Satanist

Shaun of the Dead>Worlds End>>>Hot Fuzz

Now I want to watch SOTD
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Buttonman

For me the Law of Appreciating returns applies - Shaun - Fuzz - End on a 3-2-1 basis.

TordelBack

Quote from: Smith on 03 February, 2017, 03:04:08 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 03 February, 2017, 12:40:27 PM
I agree about the ending.

I shan't waste 1,000 words convincing you both of your utter wrongness, when this will do:

Hawkmumbler

Simon Pegg's loyalty to 2000AD cane into question when he started cloning Johnny Alpha.

Rara Avis

I only noticed him when he was blatantly on screen, I wonder what the other two were. That's so unfair .. there are so many actors struggling to get good roles and he gives himself three  ;)

Didn't we direct that terrible version of The Last Airbender? He was a bit of a pariah for a while no?
I guess his tight budgeting was not forgotten when they were looking for someone to direct this.

[/quote]
According to wiki he only doesnt make an appearence in After Earth and The Visit, it has him down as three roles in Split?!

Also what I never knew before was just how much each of his films have made at the box office, considering majority are modest or even small budgets, I bet he has some friends across the studios who have worked with him.

Seems like he's one of those directors that are critic proof.
[/quote]

Hawkmumbler

Star Wars The Phantom Menace: Yeah, i'm doing a SW rewatch marathon. It's been over a decade since i've seen any of the prequels so I figured it was time for a re-view.

In short, it's not very good is it? But honestly, I still find sizeable nuggets of material to enjoy in the drek pile, and appreciate it more for what TPW would spawn in TCW series as a result.

NapalmKev

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 February, 2017, 10:59:14 PM
Star Wars The Phantom Menace: Yeah, i'm doing a SW rewatch marathon. It's been over a decade since i've seen any of the prequels so I figured it was time for a re-view.

It's not the best film by any stretch but it does have some fantastic scenes of pure eye-candy. Plotwise: iffy, to say the least. And there aren't enough swear words in the English language to describe my feelings for 'Jar Jar Binks'!

Cheers

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"