Main Menu

JD Casefiles 4

Started by TordelBack, 31 July, 2006, 05:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Bought Casefiles 4 on Friday morn (FP Dublin), and I'm STILL reading it.  Awesome piece of kit and no mistake.  I was a bit dubious about buying past Vol. 3, as I have most of the Judge Child, Fink and Chopper stories in both collections and loose progs, and sundry other bits and bobs from the late 100's, but really, this is the ONLY way to read Dredd.  As with 'The Day the Law Died', reading the individual storylines is one thing, but reading them in context with what went before and after is entirely more statisfying.  I now know that I'll be staying on board until at least the 300s, maybe beyond.  Top marks, folk, top marks.

A personal highpoint was a surprising reappreciation of the end of the Judge Child story, always previously filed in my head alongside 'City of the Damned' and 'Doomsday' as "crushing anti-climax'. In fact, the final episode may be the moment that Dredd really took off as a unique character, moving beyond his simple 'tenacious future lawman' personna to really show the granite he's made of.  The 'Block War' epilogue may be the best Dredd episode of its era, on every level.    

One niggle:  It'd be great if one of the slimmer future  volumes could include a 'Creator Index' to all this material, maybe just culled wholesale from Da Bish's much-missed series.  I might know who Emberton, Howard, Alvin Gaunt, Q Twerk and TB Grover are, and if not I can look it up right here, but it still gets bloody confusing just working off the Credit Cards.  It'd make an already utterly essential purchase even more so.

HiEx

Blast, the Future Shop is still listing it as out of stock! Did it sell out very quickly, or just hasn't come in yet?

HiEx