Main Menu

Bristol Comics Expo

Started by Alski, 09 May, 2011, 09:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: Matt Timson on 17 May, 2011, 05:16:31 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 17 May, 2011, 02:39:10 PM
Quote from: Matt Timson on 17 May, 2011, 01:13:40 PMEmperor?!?  But didn't we meet?  You didn't say who you were!

Well balls. By Sunday I'd largely lost track of who I'd met properly and been introduced to - someone did point you out on Saturday night and there was much discussion of how you were [spoiler]actually quite nice despite what everyone (including yourself) says[/spoiler], then I got involved in a game of Hunt the Timson with the prize being CommandoForces not killing Kerrin for failing to bring back his Dredd/Rogue print. So it appears that, in all the excitement, I never actually introduced myself. I'll add it to my list of all the things I forgot to do and will rectify the situation when we are in the same general vicinity.

[spoiler]LIES!![/spoiler]

That's what I said - I will still be taking up Molcher's offer of his cattleprod, but I will disinfect it first as it is stained with the oil of reluctant droids.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

Terry, the nice chap I was talking to about Vampire Vixens at the Smuggling Vacation table (but only just worked out who he is - the ongoing story of Bristol for me), has started sticking up a series of posts on Bristol:

www.comicbitsonline.com/?s=bristol

He seems especially taken by the Alien, although not as "taken" as Bolt:

www.comicbitsonline.com/2011/05/16/what-every-convention-needs/
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

strontium71

Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 May, 2011, 02:43:36 PM
Could some kind mod merge these two threads?

booooh! now my thread has died and it's become the expo thread booooh!  :(
...because I hate you.

Emperor

Ian Culbard sketched in the Lovecraft Anthology book I bought and my At the Mountains of Madness that I brought with me (for which I owe him a pint or two):

At the Mountains of Madness - as he drew it in blue line first and I was watching upside down it was only when he did the book that it all came together for me, which was a nice surprise:

The Lovecraft Anthology - it might not be clear from this but the menhir and tentacle are printed and the monstrosity top left is the sketch:

Now I'm kicking myself for not nobbling D'Israeli and getting him to sketch something in there too but I will clearly have to work on this in the future (I'm sure I'll bump into Leigh Gallagher at some point in the future).

Lady Festina

Ha!! Looks like I have the only photo of the Whittle cleavage! And it's a close up. What am I bid???

Fantastic time in Bristol - it has taken me this long to recover sufficiently to try and reconstruct some memories. Lovely to see / meet so many people with their real names, including the Emperor (I bow at his feet as I mess with his head) and the wonderful Locusts.

It has been said before but Crazy Fox Machine and DaveThomson do indeed look exactly like their avatars. They did a great job selling Dr WTF and the 2000AD "tribute" - if you haven't seen either of these, then BUY THEM NOW!! I only read the tribute when back at home on Sunday and I laughed my hungover little socks off.

Without repeating what has already been said (the small press panel was great; Molcher is really tall), here are some very personal experiences:

- The Eurovision sweepstake - thanks to all who indulged my love of the bizarre and took part. So glad that the winnings went to a man who needs the cash, ahem, sorry, to Rob Williams. And I bear no grudge against those creators who refused to take part (you know who you are....)

- Thanks to Mike Carroll and the lovely Leonie for taking the time to talk to Conor and I outside the toilets at the Mercure. A great conversation despite the location....

- And, my ultimate mortification: deciding that I would say hello to Charlie Adlard at the Ramada Bar, wandering over, starting to witter away to him.... only to find that it was Steve Pugh. He took my embarrassment with good grace. (For those who don't know, it was the hair that confused me. And the beer. Mainly the beer.)

Dandontdare

Quote from: strontium71 on 17 May, 2011, 06:45:09 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 17 May, 2011, 02:43:36 PM
Could some kind mod merge these two threads?

booooh! now my thread has died and it's become the expo thread booooh!  :(

Could've been the other way round. Two threads enter. One thread leaves.

Rex Banner

Lisa and myself had a blast. Great meeting everybody, some again and some new but all great.

Got some fatnastic sketches which can be seen here along with a few photos.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150191049345852.307880.659680851&l=9b12810fdd

Missed the 2000AD panel but did find out if you assault the Prime Minister (Tony Blair) and there are no independant witnesses you can get away with it because they don't want the publicity!

The only other panel we caught was the Just A Comic Pickin' Minute which was incredibly funny. Don't know if anybody recorded it but if they did it's certainly worth a watch.

Got this from the aces talent that is Nick Dyer. And if you're wondering why the collar and cuffs don't match you really need to buy the Zarjaz ABC Warriors special. That and the fact it's bloody good.

Roll on next year.

Matt Timson

That's the fourth time I've met Charlie Adlard and the third time he hasn't remembered meeting me previously.  I'm pretty sure that this is the time I managed to make an impression.
Pffft...

pauljholden

Quote from: Matt Timson on 17 May, 2011, 09:32:53 PM
That's the fourth time I've met Charlie Adlard and the third time he hasn't remembered meeting me previously.  I'm pretty sure that this is the time I managed to make an impression.

Only if he was looking for a Man-Lover...

-pj

Kerrin

Quote from: Lady Festina on 17 May, 2011, 08:24:47 PM
- And, my ultimate mortification: deciding that I would say hello to Charlie Adlard at the Ramada Bar, wandering over, starting to witter away to him.... only to find that it was Steve Pugh. He took my embarrassment with good grace. (For those who don't know, it was the hair that confused me. And the beer. Mainly the beer.)

Ah, I think we're both equally to blame for that one Liz. Poor bloke, I was mortified.

He really does look like Charlie Adlard though, ish, after a few beers. Great hair!

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Lady Festina on 17 May, 2011, 08:24:47 PM
- Thanks to Mike Carroll and the lovely Leonie for taking the time to talk to Conor and I outside the toilets at the Mercure. A great conversation despite the location....

And I rudely interrupted that conversation to say hello.

A nice little con - wish I wouldn't have gotten sick and spent Saturday night/Sunday morning wishing I were dead (any of you now sick, please thank me, yes, it's all my fault).

I finally got to meet Uncle Fester and we had a great chat about a couple of the projects we'd worked on - I wish we could have chatted longer, but Uncle's 'bout to be a star (well, he already is to me!) and had lots of schmoozing to do. His lovely wife, Lady F, was an absolute pleasure to chat with, and I now feel suitably guilty for not entering a story in the last eight million competitions.

Likewise, it was great to meet Emperor (or one of his many clones) and just shoot the breeze about writing; I have to smile, he has a booming "Emperor-like" voice. Lived up to expectations, did Emperor. Absolute pleasure to meet a surprisingly soft-spoken Jim Campbell and his Huge Boots.

The Denton Brothers are absolute class. Great to see Bolt and Richmond once again - that's a lot of energy seated (well, bouncing around) the FQ table. Crazyfoxmachine's flowing locks flow even more impressively in person, and DaveT's hat rivals my own. Got a big hug from Stace but she got swept away by jealous louts also begging for hugs before we could talk. Nice to see DDD again, too! I know I've forgotten others I met... Got lots of funny looks when I chatted at the tables it always make me laugh when people are surprised I'm American (um...at least I hope that's what those funny looks meant, not that I had a booger sneaking out of my nose and onto my upper lip)!

Good time.

Emperor

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 17 May, 2011, 11:38:04 PMGot lots of funny looks when I chatted at the tables it always make me laugh when people are surprised I'm American (um...at least I hope that's what those funny looks meant, not that I had a booger sneaking out of my nose and onto my upper lip)!

You were flying low, not too much of a problem if you'd have remembered to wear undies. ;)

Sorry to hear you were sick - we did wonder where you'd disappeared too. There is an important lesson there - leave the sick family at home next time ;)

Matt Timson

Quote from: pauljholden on 17 May, 2011, 09:49:37 PM
Quote from: Matt Timson on 17 May, 2011, 09:32:53 PM

Only if he was looking for a Man-Lover...

-pj

I WILL BRING THE FURY, MUNCHKIN!
Pffft...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Matt Timson on 18 May, 2011, 08:49:40 AMI WILL BRING THE FURY, MUNCHKIN!

For a moment there I read it as furry munchkin, of course t'wouldn't be strange really for a couple of pencil-monkeys to involve such things.

Dandontdare

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 17 May, 2011, 11:38:04 PM
A nice little con - wish I wouldn't have gotten sick and spent Saturday night/Sunday morning wishing I were dead (any of you now sick, please thank me, yes, it's all my fault)....Nice to see DDD again, too!

Sorry to hear you were sick, I was looking forward to catching up and meeting Mrs Locusts on Saturday night, but at least we got to say a brief hello! At least we missed the embarassment of having to explain the horrors of Eurovision to an American.