Main Menu

Prog 1876 - Armageddon to Order

Started by JamesC, 05 April, 2014, 11:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

Quote from: The Cosh on 21 April, 2014, 11:34:54 PM
After last week's Caledonian cornucopia, I'm a little disappointed that nobody has commented on the reference to Constitution Street in this episode.

That's because our Glaswegian contingent don't get the reference.

Frank

Quote from: GordonR on 22 April, 2014, 12:57:03 AM
Quote from: The Cosh on 21 April, 2014, 11:34:54 PM
After last week's Caledonian cornucopia, I'm a little disappointed that nobody has commented on the reference to Constitution Street in this episode

That's because our Glaswegian contingent don't get the reference

To be fair, the name already sounds fairly satirical. Given the location, possibly even sarcastic.

ThryllSeekyr

Did some of you mention Slaine's ginger beard.......I didn't notice...but that does that mean he's now a red head like most stereo-typed white Irishmen I heard of....

So, that picture of Slaine as the Green-Man is a flashback, because that one did have me confused at first.

I think, I prefer elderly Ukko's narrative story-telling from one of the many towers of the fortress of Dinas-Emyrs

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 23 April, 2014, 09:59:17 AM
Did some of you mention Slaine's ginger beard.......I didn't notice...but that does that mean he's now a red head like most stereo-typed white Irishmen I heard of....

So, that picture of Slaine as the Green-Man is a flashback, because that one did have me confused at first.

I think, I prefer elderly Ukko's narrative story-telling from one of the many towers of the fortress of Dinas-Emyrs.

Ah, yes, I really meant Ukko's narrative storytelling as he wrote it while safely ensconced in one of the many towers of Dinas Emyrs.

Frank

So, that picture of Slaine as the Green-Man is a flashback, because that one did have me confused at first

I don't think that sequence was handled well at all, and I don't think that was just because of it coming at the start of a weekly instalment. I'm pretty sure it will still read oddly in collected form, but it looks pretty and does offer the reader a few clues as to the reason for Sláine's reflective and curiously despairing mood.

The headstrong daughters of tribal chiefs, ill advised braggadocio, and drink sodden fathers are all familiar story elements which go some way to explaining why Sláine might ponder where his life has gone awry before, and consider adopting a different course - specifically, getting naked, getting painted green, and getting pissed.

Dark Jimbo

A flash-forward, if anything, as dialogue in prog 1878 reveals -

'Sorry. I can't go with you...I'm going to a party.'
'A party? That's more important than defeating the gloops?'
'Yes, I... need to say goodbye to someone.'
@jamesfeistdraws

A.Cow

Surely it's Irish women who stereotypically have red hair?
I've always thought that the stereotype for Irish men is jet black hair with a Widow's peak.

Regardless, your comment got me thinking: back in that time period there would have been less breeding between different geographical groups (what with not having motor cars or aeroplanes), so surely more people would conform to regional stereotypes?