Main Menu

1875 Blood Work

Started by Ghost MacRoth, 29 March, 2014, 02:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost MacRoth

Dredd: Usual fare, nice art, bit of humour, bit of totalitarian fascism, but nowt new really.

Outlier: Seems to be a run of the mill revenge story so far...even if the guy getting his revenge has been 'enhanced', it's still nowt new.  Nice art though.

Slaine: Duuuuuull.  So again, nothing new.

Sinister Dexter:
Still not convinced by the art, but story doing it's usual, and heading towards lots of violence.

Jaegir: Highlight of the prog for mr this week, like the art, like where the story is going, even if it seems a bit predictable.

Overall, a 'meh' prog on most levels.  Most exciting thing was the ad for Sniper Elite 3 on the back cover! ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Richard

I have no problem with revenge stories. I like Outlier, and I think the cover image is striking and will help to attract new readers.

Colin YNWA

HA! And in contrast to Ghost MacRoth I'm loving the Prog at the mo. So since I'm in contrast lets do it some more. For me Jaegir is the weakest Thrill... well weakest isn't fair as its far from weak, but with a creative line-up like it has I expected more... well not more just something. Its not really doing anything for me yet. I've no connection with the characters nor the situation. Still early days and there's nothing too much to worry about and plenty of time for this strip to turn things around... or just turn things on. I have hope with this one.

In contrast (again) Outlier has hooked me in. Ask me why and I'm not sure I can pin it down. I have to agree with Ghost Mac it does feel like its treading old ground BUT it drew me into the mystery. The characters still not fussed, but the situation has me intrigued. This one already feels like its building to something.

Elsewhere we're in safe hands I'm so delighted to say Slaine has treated me bad for a long time, he hasn't cared for me a jot. So when last week I loved it I pondered on whether it was just the art I was buying into. This week Pat Mills has given me every reason to relax and acknowledge its the writing as well. GREAT episode. Loved the way Pat Mills drew us into Slaine the character, the situation was spelled out and yes it loved about as beautiful as Slaine has since McMahon (and yes I have thought of the full consequence of that statement) - love this probably Thrill of the week. An old friend who done me bad is back in the fold big time.

So if that's thrill of the week that means Dredd and Sinister Dexter aren't which is a real shame as so many times these two would have been. I bloody loved them. Sinister Dexter in particular was a masterclass. The characters where fleshed out wonderfully. The situation was nicely laid out and then there was a little bite at the end to add flavour. Even the art (while we're on that how on fire is Colin MacNeil on Dredd at the moment - just glorious) was great. Not been a fan of Smudge in the past - here he got me all the way.

Brilliant Prog.

JUDGE BURNS

After the hype of last weeks prog , this week is a wee bit flat to me personally.

Front cover: I'm not too enamoured by the cover , or even the story of Outlier as yet.

Dredd:  still chasing the culprit , but as in any thriller, the tension and action will build up ( hopefully see something actually happen next week)

Slaine: Beautiful striking artwork by Simon Davis. I love the new look and feel of this old character with a good wholesome tale behind it.

Sin/Dex: carrying on as usual into another gun fight . I like this.

Jaegir:  Really enjoying this as well at the moment. Superb artwork, and the story ends with Jaegir to go find an 'old friend' who has moved to the dark side.  I'm kindof expecting a big blue guy to pop in at some point thru this story....maybe not.

top thrills this week:  SLAINE and JAEGIR

Banners

Loved the humour from the robot bar-keeper in Dredd - I literally laughed out loud...(!)

Steve Green

Yeah, he was great - reminds me of the Public Defender droid. They are some great characters.

I thought 'Boots' was going to have a bigger role in Tour of Duty, it seemed like he was being set up for something, but it never materialised.

Pete Wells

BRING BACK BOOTS!

Also, a vote for Outlier here. I got a real Sherlock/Hannibal vibe from the investigation in part one and am intrigued to see what went down on the Outlier. I don't know if people noticed last week but the first thing Carcer says says is "Funny, it almost sounds like you're begging" which is exactly what Caul says before he offs the victim. Is there a link?

ThryllSeekyr

As my bankcard had mysteriously disappeared on the 19th of this past month and I had reported it lost/stolen at the Westpac in the Brisbane CBD near the Post Office on the following day. A young woman greeted me with a smile as I entered the nearly deserted bank and told me go to next teller. Pretty damn obvious. This teller was another female who was kind of pretty. What recall most about her was her short bob cut dark hair and the small red horizontal blood red scar on the right hand side of her neck. What I had really wanted to don was deposit the hundred dollars I had withdrawn on Tuesday morning. I was under the impression I had more money at the time and I was going to spend it on something else and then The ATM spat out a piece of paper telling me I had insufficient funds. I still have the paper work proving that it showed me I had more money earlier. Anyway, as I didn't have my bankcard, this was going to be more difficult ,but I got it done. Though the girl said she had problems finding me account on her computer terminal. It took her few goes and I was suspicious about this and still am. What I am even more suspicious about is that I asked here to report my card lost or stolen and put a stop on it and then order me anew one. Which should have arrived in my mail box before now. It didn't and when I rung my bank today. They said they couldn't find any evidence of a new card being ordered in their records. So, I got to wait another two days until it arrives which is in the very least faster than waiting until the end of this week. But I am sorely pissed that my submission was dropped/ignored and have been going with out in between snacks from the corner food store as I had no money on me. Yes, I might have used the hundred dollars I just deposited, but it was ear-marked to go towards paying off this new computer I'm using right now. Something, I still haven't done, yet. So I could used the money before I deposited it, but now I can't. Anyway, I asked the bank to look
into why my card hadn't been sent to me earlier= and hope that I will be compensated.

Not having my new bankcard on me is the exact reason why I can't purchase the new Slaine right now. I haven't been able to all week.

ThryllSeekyr

Oh, about the new prog and the new Slaine story.

I have a hunch that he may be getting killed off.

pictsy

Dredd started really well the previous prog but I hoped for a little more to happen this prog.  Looks like this one could be a slow burner, which is fine by me as I know Wagner has the chops to pull it off.

I am still unconvinced by Outlier and I agree with Colin - treading old and worn ground.  It is an average story at best imo.

I am surprised by how much I'm warming to Slaine again.  I haven't really enjoyed Slaine since Treasures of Britain and I really despised the Books of Invasion.  I'm not sure whether it is the writing that's doing it so much for me as it is the relief that I'm not enduring Clint Langley's artwork.  I don't always enjoy Simon Davis' artwork either, but it really is suiting the strip.  If Slaine does get killed off, I won't weep.

*groan* Sinister Dexter.  Not a fan of the gun toting duo.  I really feel this strip run it's course over a decade ago.  For me it rarely delivers and mostly disappoints.  Dan Abnett can do a lot better and I can't help but see this strip as a stain on his career.

Jaegir has me intrigued still.  Another slow burner by the looks of it, still setting up the story for us.  It will be interesting to see where this goes but I'm less convinced that this will blow my socks off now.  It looks like it will be good, however.

ThryllSeekyr

Lately, I thought the name A Simple Killing is a big hint. If Slaine is finally going to die.

Frank

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 31 March, 2014, 11:52:12 AM
Lately, I thought the name A Simple Killing is a big hint. If Slaine is finally going to die.

Again?

JamesC

Not a bad prog but somewhat marred by a pointless sex scene in Dredd and drug taking in Outlier. These things did nothing to serve the story and just alienate an audience that the prog should be trying to attract.
We've had this debate many times but I always find it disappointing - particularly when there's absolutely no narrative reason.

Cover: Not bad but not the most dynamic image.

Dredd: Too dark for my liking. It's well written but I prefer my Dredd with a bit of humour.

Outlier: Intriguing. I'm enjoying this story.

Slaine: Really good. I like everything about this other than the faces. To be honest I miss Clint Langley on this strip - I always thought his art looked great.

Sin/Dex: Good fun as always. The art's good but I can't help wanting to colour it in!

Jaegir: Really enjoyed this. Great art and a great script.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JamesC on 31 March, 2014, 01:10:01 PM
Not a bad prog but somewhat marred by a pointless sex scene in Dredd and drug taking in Outlier. These things did nothing to serve the story and just alienate an audience that the prog should be trying to attract.
We've had this debate many times but I always find it disappointing - particularly when there's absolutely no narrative reason.

I'm intrigued. Will reserve judgement till it's in my hands but I usually find their is a lot more narrative sense to these scenes than one might originally think.

Grobbendonk

I'm a happy sqauxx today. Really enjoyed this prog, cover to cover.

Highlights:
*Very funny dialogue in Dredd  :lol: (and I'm loving the dark shadowy feel to both the art and the script)
*Intriguing hints of mystery in Outlier (as others have said it feels like old ground, but I'm still hooked in)
*Nice change of pace and internal dialogue in Slaine (and the use of blank space in the art, nice)
*The art in Sin/Dex just feels dirty and sleezy - perfect! (though the story feels pretty filleresque)
*Nice clear story progression in Jaegir - (I found last weeks opening episode confusing)

And a strong cover to wrap it all up in! Feels like the Prog is on fire at the moment!