Main Menu

Ultimate Not Wagner Tournament - Round 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 June, 2020, 08:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well folks if Round 1 was fun, Round 2 will be buzzin' I'm sure.

For round two the draw is made and I'll start in the morning. I'm going to stick with 2 votes a day which will get us wrapped up quickly so we'll be done a week today with this round. I think for the Quarters onwards we'll revert to one vote a day. Anyway I'll have a list of all the writers through to this Round in a wee bit but in the meantime a rule recap as I like to do ahead of each round.

RULES

1. MOST IMPORTANTLY - any writer who has got to this vote, be it the tourney proper or qualifying, is a better writer than we will ever be and so even if you really don't like someones work (which is fine) keep it lovely like I know you can.

2. Each day I will start two new threads with a vote between two writers - the writer to get the most votes after 3 days will progress to the next round.

3. For each vote I will have a thread to collect votes (and comments about the writers involved work) simply write the name of the writer you want to win that 'face-off' at the top of a post - feel free to say what you will after that, but it will help me (being lazy and all) if you write the name of your vote at the top of the comment - or make it clear by adding Bold tags.

4. I will count up votes in each round after 3 days of starting it and annouce the winner in that thread - once I've done that feel free to add but your vote won't count and you might be charged (if I can work out how to charge you (?!))

5. In the event of a tie I will have the casting vote - cos ya know I'm self absorbed

6. We are voting for favourite, not best - so how much you like their body of work WRITING, not editing etc - that will be important, particularly in qualifying as you'll see - You can do that anyway you want. I'm going with quality of their work first, with quantity as a secondary factor. You can do it based on how lovely their hair is if you wish!

6a Addendum - When I say writing for Tharg my advice (as I say do what you like I'll not know!) is to include any Tharg related prose work so text stories in annuals and specials (yeah right!), 2000ad related novels and yes importantly for previous rounds things like Thrillpower Overload will go into my consideration. Writing for other comics will not.

7. This is Round 2 of the tourney proper. 16 writers in 8 votes, drawn randomly FA cup style so Hereford can take on Liverpool - can home advantage work? The writers are seeded based on quantity - based on an old list by AlexF - but that means nothing. Straight knockout the 8 writers who get the most votes in each 'tie' go through to the next round.

8. Anything thing I've forgotten I'll make up as we go along.

** AlexF's glorious work http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/ [and I will note he saved me by updating this and updating my wrongness so double thank you to AlexF]

numbers edited, because Colin likes 2 so much, he included it twice! :D — IP

Colin YNWA

Well here they are the 16 Round 2 writers - in original and remember meaningless seeding order.

1   Alan Grant
2   Pat Mills
3   Dan Abnett
4   Robbie Morrison
6   Gerry Finley Day
7   John Smith
8   Ian Edginton
9   Garth Ennis
10   Rob Williams
12   Pete Milligan
16   Alan McKenzie
17   Alan Hebden
20   Alan Moore
22   Kek-W
Q1   Alec Worley
Q5   Pete Hogan

TordelBack

I think the statistical lesson for all prospective typeity-droids is 'change your name to Alan': fully a quarter of our second-round line-up!

IndigoPrime

QuoteWriting for other comics will not.
So in round 2, should people be solely considering 2000 AD-based publications? (Last time, people were a bit "hey, X's Battle work was good" and "Crisis was fabbo, eh?"

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Crisis was most definitely '2000ad-based'. Same editors, same publisher, same iconic writers and artists (until it redesigned itself as an excellent flagship for sophisticated BD translations), and even the major character of the first couple of years went on to enjoy a long life of sequels in the pages of the prog (Finn). Further, as an obscenely and insufferably self-conscious young person I am not sure I would have bought the prog at all in those days if I couldn't have picked up a Crisis at the same time to hide it behind. Revolver, too: Dan Dare!

davidbishop

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 June, 2020, 10:59:01 AM
I think the statistical lesson for all prospective typeity-droids is 'change your name to Alan': fully a quarter of our second-round line-up!

Hence why one wag used the pen name Steve Alan in the late 80s or early 90s, as there were so many Steves and Alans in British comics...

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 June, 2020, 11:49:12 AM
QuoteWriting for other comics will not.
So in round 2, should people be solely considering 2000 AD-based publications? (Last time, people were a bit "hey, X's Battle work was good" and "Crisis was fabbo, eh?"

Yeah my view on this hasn't really changed - still work for Tharg and I personally have always included Crisis in this - though others may put other boundaries on.

For me this doen't include anything that has been purchased as part of the Treasury. So no Battle or Action to be considered.

I personally would include all work in both Starlord and Tornado as they both wrapped into Tooth.

Don't want to get to a perscriptive list of what is or isn't in as that would be ignored OR turning into a big debate aboout definitions!

Funt Solo

Also, if your surname is in the first half of the alphabet, you've got three times the chance of being in the Top 16.

So, change your name to Alan A. Aardvark, and you'll become a great script droid. Simple.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Quote from: Funt Solo on 08 June, 2020, 03:37:33 PM
So, change your name to Alan A. Aardvark, and you'll become a great script droid. Simple.

Just try to be long dead by 2100. Or ex-directory.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: davidbishop on 08 June, 2020, 01:48:00 PM

Hence why one wag used the pen name Steve Alan in the late 80s or early 90s, as there were so many Steves and Alans in British comics...

:lol:
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"