Main Menu

Round 2: 2 - Garth Ennis or Alec Worley - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 June, 2020, 06:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

While one of these writers has made a massive name for himself outside his world for Tharg. The other is hardened now as winning 3 votes already having come through qualifying so we've had good time to think about the quality of their work. Since we're only thinking of things written for Tharg and so can we have an upset. That's for you to decide between.

Garth Ennis - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=GARTHE

or

Alec Worley - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=ALECW

What is all this nonsense you ask well we're finding out whose 2000ad (Meg and associated items) writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work). This vote closes some time early Friday 12th June?

Want to know more https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46503.msg1029915#msg1029915

Two more Round 2 starting in the morning.

broodblik

Alec Worley

I am not a fan of Ennis AD work but his work in the US is very good.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

Garth Ennis. Probably not the popular vote, but as previously stated I like much of his Dredd.

abelardsnazz

IndigoPrime

Worley. Ennis did very little I consider good for the Prog. His Dredd really doesn't hold up for me, and although it's not as bad as Millar's has that constant sense of the indestructible superhero about it.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Garth Ennis. It was brilliant to watch his rough, often gauche, early work, and to just know that a star was being formed before our eyes.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Argh! How to separate Ennis from his wider work? And didnt Worley write Age of the Wolf, which I loved.

On a technicality (and that technicality is called Crisis) Ennis wins.

SBT

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

AlexF

I rather like Ennis's Dredds, but on the whole didn't care for much of his other stuff, outside of Monsters and True Faith. Some of the throwaway jokes made me chuckle.

Worley has written fewer but also rather good Dredds, but he's getting my vote for putting the effort in and banging out memorable new creations. Dandridge > Time Flies and Age of the Wolf > Sleeze n Ryder, wouldn't you all agree?

And even Ennis at his most Ennis-y didn't pull out Realm of the Damned.

Tomwe

Garth Ennis wins. Not read enough Worley to have too much of an opinion.

maryanddavid

rogue69

IndigoPrime

I must say, I'm genuinely surprised to see so much Ennis love, for his 2000 AD output. What is it that people liked? Genuinely interested, given that I thought most of it was not good. (I groaned every time we got another Dredd HC from Hachette that was packed with Ennis.)

Colin YNWA

I've always defended his Dredd output but on my recent re-read I've struggled with it much more. There are a few highlights but not as many as I recall.

I do wonder if much of this comes from whether you count Crisis as a product of Tharg - I always do and his output there was much stronger.

broodblik

I agree with you Indigo, I am just as surprise by the support for Ennis. It might be that many folk is not only looking at the AD work but at the DC work as well. As I said I really like is work he did for other publications.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.