Main Menu

Round 2: 3 - Dan Abnett or Gerry Finley-Day - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 June, 2020, 06:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 June, 2020, 11:08:51 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 10 June, 2020, 10:58:18 AMIf, after securing work for all the companies and organisations he seems to juggle, he was guilty of not giving 2000AD his full attention and just phoning it in, I'd even understand. But he never, ever does.
This. When Abnett broke in the US, I figured that would be it. So many other writers vanish from the Prog, even though they are contractually allowed to still contribute. Abnett is a machine.

He has another series starting in prog 2187 The Out. He is more than a machine
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

Abnett, for Brink and Lawless, let alone his many other great contributions.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 10 June, 2020, 11:26:42 AM
He has another series starting in prog 2187 The Out. He is more than a machine

You known that Consious AI currently behind events in Sinister Dexter, well maybe that's Dab-NET outing himself?

AlexF

Yeah, it's gotta be Abnett. Just to pick one series, I love the original VCs but I think Abnett's continuation was miles better written, if far more serious in tone.

Beyond that, the sheer volume of puns in Sinister Dexter wins me over, and I'm in that camp that thinks Brink is one of the best ever 2000 thrills, with Lawless and Insurrection the best of the Meg.

(but I would vote for Finley-Day over pretty much all of Abnett's other work, it's tight man).

Bolt-01

Richard

Buttonman

TordelBack

Love GFD, but Dan Abnett is my man. Possibly several men, judging by his output,

maryanddavid

I know I should possibly be voting for Dan, SO much to like, few duffers, few being the word. Brink and Lawless are my two favourite of probably the last decade.

But it the GFD that's getting my vote, Rogue, Fiends, Blackhawk, Harry 20, The VC's,

nuff said.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Calling time here - if you want to get your voice in this one or discuss how these two great influences on 2000ad compare do it NOW, NOW I say as I'll close voting at least on this one tomorrow morning earlyish.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Colin YNWA

While there has been great representation and love shown for GFD this one hasn't really been in much doubt since the start and I'm very glad that you got what I thought might be a very tricky round right for the mighty

Dan Abnett

who goes through to the quarter finals.

ZenArcade

Getting nostalgic.  Finlay-Day.  Putting Rogue Trooper out at the apogee of 2000ad and making the strip stand out against the competition back then was something else.  Plus Harry 20 and the VC's...c'mon! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead