Main Menu

Round 2: 3 - Dan Abnett or Gerry Finley-Day - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 June, 2020, 06:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Two writers from different generations in this one, one from the first wave of writers, one from the second. Both have made very significent contributions with both long rounding strips and shorter tales. Both having co-created characters that have had enormous impact. So how on earth will you decide on this one. Well thankfully that's down to you to discuss and pop a vote about whose writing for Tharg you prefer between

Dan Abnett - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=DANA

OR

Gerry Finley-Day - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=GERRYF

What is all this nonsense you ask well we're finding out whose 2000ad (Meg and associated items) writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work). This vote closes some time early Saturday 13th June?

Want to know more https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46503.msg1029915#msg1029915

Two more Round 2 starting in the morning.

Rogue Judge

Abnett for me...Kingdom and Lawless are two of my top Thrills of all time. Spoiler alert...I'll vote Abnett regardless of the challenger here on out.

broodblik

Dan Abnett

I really like  the original Rogue one of my favorite strips in AD but Abnett has a super strong line-up and must be one of the top comic writers in the business today.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 10 June, 2020, 07:10:00 AM
Abnett for me...Kingdom and Lawless are two of my top Thrills of all time. Spoiler alert...I'll vote Abnett regardless of the challenger here on out.

Shhh - don't tell anyone as I'm not voting unless needed to - but I do wonder if there's anyone I'd vote for over Abnett at this point. When push comes to shoove I might but I'm not sure. His work over the last say 10 years has been consistantly superb. Before that it was often superb, so man its hard to think of a writer with as much quantity, qualitity and diversity of story, who has maintained that over such a period of time?

sintec

Finley-Day's work hasn't always aged well, Fort Neuro being a prime example, and whilst it was a key part of the early years it's can't compete with Lawless, Brink and Kingdom which are all top draw thrills. Abnett

Tomwe

IndigoPrime

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Gerry Finley-Day, without whom there might not have been any transport out of the awful eighties.

Ghost MacRoth

Nostalgia would have me vote GFD, but I gotta admit, Abnett has it this rime.  If for nothing else, Brink.  I absolutely hated it when it started, the art style being so off putting, it made the tale very hard to get into.  However, despite that, the strength of the story managed to swing me round.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Greg M.

GFD's going to be steamrollered in this battle of the punsters, but what has Dan Abnett written for 2000AD that I've really liked and not just respected? I mean, I've absolutely loved the work Abnett did at Marvel with Andy Lanning, but that doesn't count here. So let's see... I've grown to like Sinister / Dexter after initially hating it. Matteus Godolkin in Durham Red was a great character. Kingdom is an objectively excellent strip and pure 2000AD, but I can't get into it. Brink is clearly extremely well-written and undoubtedly quality, but it still bores me senseless.

But Rogue Trooper was never boring. Gerry Finley-Day.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Abnett.

I have no idea how he manages to maintain even his productivity across all the outlets for his stories, across multiple media, but he does. If, after securing work for all the companies and organisations he seems to juggle, he was guilty of not giving 2000AD his full attention and just phoning it in, I'd even understand. But he never, ever does. His prog and Meg work is among the very best- not only of his wider oeuvre, but of the strip work in the comics full stop.

GFD is a legend- and part of the reason we still have comics in Britain today. But in this case, Abnett wins.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 10 June, 2020, 10:58:18 AMIf, after securing work for all the companies and organisations he seems to juggle, he was guilty of not giving 2000AD his full attention and just phoning it in, I'd even understand. But he never, ever does.
This. When Abnett broke in the US, I figured that would be it. So many other writers vanish from the Prog, even though they are contractually allowed to still contribute. Abnett is a machine.