Main Menu

Quarter Finals: 1 - Pat Mills or Pete Milligan - Ultimate not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 16 June, 2020, 07:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Mills. I really enjoy Milligan's writing, but I'm not sure that his best work has been for the prog. Mills, on the other hand, has contributed several of its greatest stories.

JayzusB.Christ

I hate having to vote against the writer of Bad Company, Tribal Memories and Sooner or Later.   And I voted against Pat in the last round.

But Sláine, all the way up to the end of the Horned God. Nemesis up to the end of Deathbringer. ABC Warriors in the Black Hole. Dredd's name.  And, somewhat significantly, 2000ad.

Slough Feg, in later incarnations as a senile, nostalgic old eunuch: best bad guy there's ever been.  I also knew of Feg's Wickerman many years before I saw Lord Summerisle's one, much as I love the latter.  The fomorian feeding pit. The injection into my brain of a far more exciting look to the dully described Irish legends I'd learned at school: Medb, Balor, the Red Branch; they were all in my shitty schoolbooks but I didn't give a feck till Pat made them cool.

Nemesis making Be Pure's mouth even bigger, and Torquemada slowly driving his underage wife insane.  A hollowed out earth where traffic rules are everything, for grud's sake.

The dramatic deconstruction of each well-established robot hero, examining the minutiae of their damaged pasts, with only Deadlock and Ro-jaws escaping unscathed as unchangeable, incorrigible mad bastards.

Pat freaking Mills it is.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Richard

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 June, 2020, 02:37:49 PM
But Sláine, all the way up to the end of the Horned God. Nemesis up to the end of Deathbringer. ABC Warriors in the Black Hole. Dredd's name.  And, somewhat significantly, 2000ad.

Now, now - we got told we're voting on work for Tharg, not work as Tharg.

rogue69

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 16 June, 2020, 06:22:41 PM
Now, now - we got told we're voting on work for Tharg, not work as Tharg.

Seeing as Pat's time behind the Rosette seems to have largely consisted of re-writing scripts...

Huey2

Magnetica

The first ABC Warriors series, Nemesis book I, III, IV, V,VI, Slaine up to the end of the Horned God....these are probably the greatest ever 2000AD series. So it's pretty hard to vote against Pat. (But I might have to if he comes up against Dabnett 😉).

Funt Solo

Pat Mills, for all the BIG JOBS!

Terra-MeksTerror TubeTerminators

---------------------------------------

TorquemadaSky ShipsMetalzoic

DeathThe Lord Weird!Eve

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buttonman

maryanddavid

Pat get the vote, still no slight on Pete, his good stuff is top notch thrills.

Rogue Judge

Pat Mills. Don't care for Slaine or his preachy anarchy stuff, but he has written so many great stories...Cursed Earth and ABC warriors (Meknificant 7 and Volgan Wars) for the win.