Main Menu

Re: Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney - Semi Finals and FINAL!!!!

Started by Colin YNWA, 20 June, 2020, 02:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So we approach the awarding of the Godpleton Cup. I've worked out a schedule and done the draw for the semis (both excited and a little disappointed about the draw to be honest). Through to the semis are (in pointless seeding order):

2 Pat Mills
3 Dan Abnett
8 Ian Edginton
20 Alan Moore

So unless I hear strong opinion otherwise here's the schedule I have in mind.

I'll start both semi finals tomorrow. I was going to start them on different days, but realised once you know one, you know what the other one is anyway so might as well start them.

I'll allow them to run a little longer and wrap the up early Thursday morning.

Then I'll do a 3rd and 4th place play off and the final starting Friday first thing and running to wrap things up and award the Godpleton Cup to the winner on the morning of Thursday 25th June (I think it is) and we can all run around carrying the winner on our shoulders.

Well in fact we can concentrate on Broodblik's best of the Rebellion Years vote. Though I might start a call for nominations for what I've got planned next as its all ready to go and its inching away at me.

Cool beans.

Colin YNWA

And my traditional rule reminder.

RULES

1. MOST IMPORTANTLY - any writer who has got to this vote, be it the tourney proper or qualifying, is a better writer than we will ever be and so even if you really don't like someones work (which is fine) keep it lovely like I know you can.

2. Schedule for the semis and finals is below - the writer to get the most votes at the scheduled end time for voting will progress to the next round.

3. For each vote I will have a thread to collect votes (and comments about the writers involved work) simply write the name of the writer you want to win that 'face-off' at the top of a post - feel free to say what you will after that, but it will help me (being lazy and all) if you write the name of your vote at the top of the comment - or make it clear by adding Bold tags.

4. I will count up votes for each vote on the day determined, normally early between 6 and 7am and annouce the winner in that thread - once I've done that feel free to add but your vote won't count and you might be charged (if I can work out how to charge you (?!))

5. In the event of a tie I will have the casting vote - cos ya know I'm self absorbed

6. We are voting for favourite, not best - so how much you like their body of work WRITING, not editing etc - that will be important - You can do that anyway you want. I'm going with quality of their work first, with quantity as a secondary factor. You can do it based on how lovely their hair is if you wish!

BUT it doesn't matter that we owe the comic to Pat Mills (well clearly it does in terms of this vote), it doesn't matter if you love Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, what matters is the body of work they have written for Tharg.

6a Addendum - When I say writing for Tharg my advice (as I say do what you like I'll not know!) is to include any Tharg related prose work so text stories in annuals and specials (yeah right!), 2000ad related novels and yes importantly for previous rounds things like Thrillpower Overload will go into my consideration. Writing for other comics will not.

7. The Semi Finals of the tourney proper. 4 writers in 2 votes, drawn randomly FA cup style so Hereford (unlikely at this stage) can take on Liverpool - can home advantage work? The writers are seeded based on quantity - based on an old list by AlexF - but that means nothing. Straight knockout the 2 writers who get the most votes in each 'tie' go through to the final, the other two will go into a 3rd and 4th place decider.

8. Anything thing I've forgotten I'll make up as we go along.

** AlexF's glorious work http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/

IndigoPrime

If Mills and Abnett are drawn together, that's going to be quite the cat/pigeons moment.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 June, 2020, 02:36:33 PM
If Mills and Abnett are drawn together, that's going to be quite the cat/pigeons moment.

Sophie's Choice, with Flesh: Chronocide as the only slightly less depressing backdrop.