Main Menu

FFT - ROUND of 16 - Strontium Dog vs Bad Company - Heat 07

Started by Colin YNWA, 24 August, 2022, 06:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

AlexF

Look, I agree that book I of Bad Co is the best, but I'm not so on board the 'Bad Company has diminishing returns' train. If anything, the sheer volume of Strontium Dog means that I find more in there to be a little bored of, even on the level of Bad Company 2002. If it's not sacrilege to say it, Brett Ewins at his best I think is the equal of Carlos Ezquerra when it comes to character design - down to the smallest side characters - maybe not quite as good at the action choreography but that thing he does with photocopying and blowing up bits of panels to create emotional drama I really love. Not to mention the chunky boots and guns with holes in.

But then I have to weigh up the delights of, say, Bad Company books I and II, Kano, and bits of the modern era against the madness of Journey into Hell, the drama of Portrait of a Mutant, the sheer force of Rage, the simple charm of Mayjer Minor & the Mork Whisperer, the sprawl of the Final Solution, and of course the comedy genius in Kid Knee, The Killing and the Rammy, even the Glum Affair.

That's a LOT of great comics.

Feeling ornerny, though, so am voting Bad Company.

Pyroxian

Strontium Dog - so many great stories, Rage, Portrait of a Mutant...

IndigoPrime

Strontium Dog is inconsistent but frequently brilliant. Bad Company is inconsistent but for me was only brilliant during those first two series. And I'd say Portrait, Rage, Moses, and The Killing are for me at least as urgent re-reads than even the best Bad Company. So: Strontium Dog.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Dash Decent

Quote from: AlexF on 24 August, 2022, 12:23:28 PM
Mayjer Minor & the Mork Whisperer

They sung Stutter Rap, didn't they?

Strontium Dog, cucumber.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

Timothy

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Strontium Dog. While not my favourite of Starlord/ The Prog's strippage, it would be churlish in thr extreme not to acknowledge how bloody fantastic it was at times. Certainly better than Bad Company- even that great first series.

SBT

Funt Solo

The first series of Bad Company was way more exciting than Bitch (which it ran alongside in the prog). Similarly, The Bewilderness was more exciting than The Rammy. But that's it.

Strontium Dog's Number 4 Cartridge makes short work of what sadly became a Beano-esque war metaphor.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Southstreeter

You had a great run Kano, and book 1 is better than at least half of Stront, but the other half of Stront gets it.

Strontium Dog

Colin YNWA

Day to go and we know where this is going don't we. Nice to see Bad Company getting some votes so lets spend the day thinking which of these classic deserves remaining votes to come and I'll call it in the morning.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

As straightforward as they come, prehaps not surprisingly. Bad Company is hailed, but since its early appearances has had mixed receptions (why the later stuff 2002 is great, but its clear others don't agree!). Strontium Dog likewise has percieved very mixed quality across its long run in the Prog but overall folks are much more forgiving of that, its a strip that embedded into the hearts of fans despite this inconsistancy and while with one of these thrills folks seem to focus on the problems, the other folks focus on the highs and is that in itself a measure of how good a series is?

Strontium Dog

of courses gets its slot as a quarter finalist.