Main Menu

Spider-man samples

Started by Kev Levell, 14 August, 2009, 09:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kev Levell

I've been working on a couple of Spider-man sample pages... Story, art and letters by me. 2000AD is still my first love, but working on different characters keeps the enthusiasm up, especially when you are doing everything!

I'd appreciate any feedback as I'm planning on showing these in my portfolio at BICS later in the year. I'll only be showing the inks, but it'd be nice to have the coloured and lettered pages as a sort of calling card to leave for Marvel/Panini... any thoughts?

PS. colours were a little rushed!

Buddy

Should there be images here?

I can't see any if there should.

Kev Levell

I was having problems when I was previewing the post -  can see them now... these links should help!
page 01
page 02

Richmond Clements

Looks good, Kev!

MJ's arm at the start of page two looks a bit off to me.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trout

Hey, good stuff. My impression of Spider-man, however, has always been that he moves in a more insectile way - arms and legs all over the place - and you have him in a very human stance.

Maybe something to consider for when you develop more work? I stress I can't draw for toffee, so ignore me if you like!

- Trout

Buddy

Quote from: King Trout on 14 August, 2009, 02:46:11 PM
Hey, good stuff. My impression of Spider-man, however, has always been that he moves in a more insectile way - arms and legs all over the place - and you have him in a very human stance.

Maybe something to consider for when you develop more work? I stress I can't draw for toffee, so ignore me if you like!

- Trout
I think that 'insectile' spiderman only came into style after McFarlane.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 16 August, 2009, 12:52:48 AM
I think that 'insectile' spiderman only came into style after McFarlane.

Although, of course, Steve Ditko was making him spindly and insect-like back at the start. He kind'a lost that effect when John Romita (Snr) took over- but yes, like many aspects of the "modern" Spidey, it's down to McFarlane latterly.

Steev

Kev Levell

Thanks for the input and crits everyone - very much appreciated and I've reworked the two pages a little with those things in mind:
page one more insect-y (and hopefully dynamic spidey) - I think this still needs a bit more work before inking, something is off with his right forearm...
page two MJ no longer has a stumpy upper arm!
Improvements I think...

Kev Levell

Thought I'd share the final reworked pages for anyone that's interested - thanks for all you comments. I'm really happy with these.
Please let me know if you notice anything though!

link

link

Thanks again everyone!

Emperor

I got a bit excited by your teasing the Batman cover and left my comments over on the blog. I do think it well worth showing this to Panini although I don't know what their submissions guidelines are (which I will no take over to the other thread).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Zarjazzer

Those are really nifty KevLev and tells  a story well in just two pages. 8)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mike Gloady

Final version is MUCH better and really demonstrates why this criticism lark is so useful.  Nice story, well told.  Good work.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

SuperSurfer

Really enjoying the development of your artwork Kevlev and watching you hone your skills.

Can I make one suggestion which is not art, but lettering related? I reckon you need to tighten up the leading of the text in the speech bubbles. This caught my eye and looking at prog 1650, the nearest comic to hand, I see their lettering is much tighter. I could be accused of nit picking, but without too much trouble I reckon it will help to improve on your brilliant Spidey strip. I mention this as you have obviously put good time and effort into all aspects of it.

(Feel free to rip my competition entry to shreds – if I manage to finish it.)

Jim_Campbell

I think these are great, Kev -- the texture you added to page one latterly has made a huge difference.

I think you are let down a little by your lettering, though. The balloon placement (difficult enough in itself) is pretty much spot-on, which is half the battle, but a little more attention to how the words are fitted inside the balloons will make a lot of difference:

Hope you don't mind!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.