Main Menu

Please take a look at my 50 Girls 50 competition entry

Started by JohnnyBoyB, 01 October, 2009, 07:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyBoyB

I hope this isn't rude, to show stuff that'll be a project from another publisher, but I'd really like to know your opinion on my 50 Girls 50 entry.

http://www.imagecomics.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=47468

If you don't know, this was a competition for a new project by Frank Cho and Doug Murray. The winner gets to illustrate the mini-series, and since I've never been published and I'd love to make it in the biz, this would be an awesome way to start!

Thanks!

Richmond Clements

Emperor

Quote from: JohnnyBoyB on 01 October, 2009, 07:40:19 PM
I hope this isn't rude, to show stuff that'll be a project from another publisher

I don't see there being a problem. Looks like an interesting competition - the quantity of submissions and the standard of the entries is going to mean the final pick is going to be pretty arbitary (and you'd imagine just comes down to the judge's gut feelings - I've looked at a few and I couldn't decide!! If forced at gun poiont I'd suggest this entry seems the most likely to make the shortlist but you never know what people are looking for). At least it means no one need feel too bad if they don't make it.

Anyway you look to be a serious contender - that crash cocoon business seems to have been a big stumbling block for quite a few people and I think you have got one of the better designs.

I see a few names there FutureQuakey publications too, like Tim Twelves.

There are a few... eye openers too.  :o
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JohnnyBoyB

Thanks guys!

The finalists will be announced the 10th, I think. I'll be agonizing until then. The winner is announced early november.

I'm glad you like it. Haven't had much feedback from the Image forum. :(

I'd love to at least make it to the finalists. Since it's announced at a con, maybe that'll give me more exposure.

TordelBack

QuoteThere are a few... eye openers too. 

Ay caramba!

That's great stuff you've done JohnnyBoy.  I particular like your version of Earth - the scale of the endless procession of hurricanes really comes across.  Worth commenting that I was able to follow the story straight off the bat, with no dialogue and no idea what it was about, and that's the trick.  Best of luck!

JohnnyBoyB

Quote from: TordelBack on 02 October, 2009, 07:13:48 AM
Worth commenting that I was able to follow the story straight off the bat, with no dialogue and no idea what it was about, and that's the trick.  Best of luck!

Thanks, man! That's the best thing you could have said to me! :D

I'd love to win this. If I don't, I'm planning on doing one of the Jude Dredd sample scripts to submit to Tharg. Love to work at 2000AD! :D

Zarjazzer

Good stuff JohnnyBoyB nice clean lines and at least your figures and faces were like the characters!

Some very good entries on the Image site. I was rather worried when I first heard of the competition after Shadowlines disastrous (and much abused by some) Create- a Superheroine- Comp. Some people don't really want to be told their idea isn't very good.

At least this seems to have avoided that sort of insanity.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Trout

I like your stuff, too. It works really well in storytelling terms.

All the best!

JohnnyBoyB

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

There are a lot of great entries there, I'm sure I'm not going to win, but at least I'd love to be one of the finalists...

Wait and see, I guess.

JohnnyBoyB

People, just wanted to let you know that I didn't make it to the finalists. :(

Now excuse me while I go cry to a corner... snif snif.

TordelBack

That's a shame, man.  A very big field though, and strong, so nothing to be too downhearted about.

JohnnyBoyB

Yeah, I know. At least I had fun, and learned a lot. Time to see what I could improve, and what I should never do again. :)

Emperor

Quote from: JohnnyBoyB on 12 October, 2009, 01:17:09 PM
Yeah, I know. At least I had fun, and learned a lot. Time to see what I could improve, and what I should never do again. :)

Sorry to hear you weren't shortlisted but that is the right attitude and with it, you should get a lot from the experience (and future ones).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

SuperSurfer

A sterling submission JohnnyBoyB. Bear in mind that some 2000AD art droids have said in their past that they were told they are not good enough to make it into 2000AD but after years of persevering they came good. The competition was really stiff so don't beat up on yourself over not making it into the finals. I did see some other great entries but kept on getting disappointed at seeing countless titillating depictions of the characters – legs wide open yanking on joysticks etc (though our esteemed Mayor might appreciate that). Having said that, I didn't read the brief so maybe artists were requested to sex up the characters.

JohnnyBoyB

Thanks for the support, guys!

I tried to make the girls pretty and attractive, and I don't like to depict characters in unnatural poses just to get a better cleavage or butt shot. Maybe that was my problem.

I think this was my best work so far, and I'm proud of it. Hopefully, in a near future, I'll have evolved to the point I'm embarassed by it. :)