Main Menu

Prog 1720 - Legion of the Damned!

Started by Mikey, 05 February, 2011, 09:19:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

And it's early doors from Mikey...

Dredd - Excellent. The pace has picked up, a good mix of action and intrigue. Plus a chuckle for [spoiler]'unemployed seat sniffer'[/spoiler] - heh! Turning into a classic Dredd tale I reckon!

Shakara - Fantastic! This episode was just superb, even in comparison to the joy of the series so far. Can't add anything else to that really, apart from wondering how the hell Flinty keeps up such creative energy...

Necrophim - I like Uriel, but I also like Neboron, but who is best? There's only one way to find out...FIGHT! Hurray! At last I get the action I've been waiting for - a great episode! Really enjoyed this and it looks to be going out on a high.

Ampney Crucius - After last weeks reveal, this hit the spot for me too! I don't really care about how it fits into the Edgiverse TBH, this was a fun episode. I don't know if it's really been mentioned much before, but SB Davis does comedy really well.

Kingdom - Saved the best 'till last, saying something when Shakara's in the prog. [spoiler]There's still military! And the General's reporting to them!They want to kill Gene for, um, genes![/spoiler]. And further to the time line questions - just notice what's on the big square telly.

Oh - the cover's grand too. Is this Steve Ellis's first proggage?

Excellent Prog, Tharg.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Tjm86

Dredd - not to mention the nod to Block Mania ( or am I going completely bonkers?) 

Shakara - doesn't disappoint.  Flint's manic artwork a pleasure as always, plus for me the best line in the prog: "Hearing you laugh is the scariest thing I've ever hears."

Crucis - not particularly enjoyed so far but this episode makes me think a re-read may be in order.

Necrophim - sorry, past caring.  three more weeks?

Kingdom - enjoying the depth that this series is now getting , nice nod to 50's B movies in one of the flashbacks, particularly as that seems to be one of the prime influences on this series.

Another quality Sharp ABC warriors pic at the end.  Shape of things to come perhaps?  Would be nice to see a different artist working on that series for a while.

Overall a pleasant read.

flip-r mk2

Post has been ,no prog for me today.Bugger.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Proudhuff

at work then of visiting so won't see mine till nine PM, gggggggrrrrr! if the postie's been
DDT did a job on me

John Caliber

My prog arrived in the worst state I've ever seen - envelope shredded, the comic pissed wet through and folded length-ways with a permanent crease. It hadn't even been pushed through the letterbox - my postie proudly presented it to me along with a larger parcel. Still, at least it arrived...  ;)
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Darren Stephens

Excellent prog. Is that Kerrin in Shakara??? I actually really enjoyed all the strps tis week. Heres how they stack up...
1. Shakara. Awesome.
2. Dredd. Starting to really enjoy Higgins work again after many a year of thinking, "meh"!
3. Atavar. Panning out brilliantly.
4. Ampney. Good but not a Davis fan.
5. Necrophim. Ramping up to end nicely, but no more please Tharg. Like to see both creators work again, but on something more...colourful.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

radiator

The setting of the Kingdom flashbacks is confusing me - if it really is the 1950s (albiet an alternative 1950s where they have advanced tech) then no-one would have heard of Gene Hackman, Gary Oldman etc.

Just a thought - have they ever actually explained where Them came from? I always assumed they were just hyper-evolved insects.

James Stacey

I suspect you are over-reading the 'dog man kills giant insects' story Radiator :) put it down to alt history and Dabnett puns

Tjm86

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 05 February, 2011, 11:53:18 AM

3. Atavar. Panning out brilliantly.

missed that one!

Quote from: radiator on 05 February, 2011, 11:54:48 AM

Just a thought - have they ever actually explained where Them came from? I always assumed they were just hyper-evolved insects.

no explanation as yet as far as i remember.

vzzbux

If I was a gambling man I would put serious money on Liam Sharp next up for the ABC warriors now, it was just a big suspicion last week.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Martin Howe

LOL @ Shakara the [spoiler]Biker[/spoiler] !! Wonder what prompted that? Guess we never had to see the avenger attack anything with firearms before.

The rest of the prog was OK.
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN
Facebook Flickr Twitter

Pete Wells

But what about that ganny's tits in Dredd!?! Yuck!

And [spoiler]poor Giant[/spoiler], I hope he's okay, he has less luck than Logan!

House of Usher

My girlfriend, who is a biologist, says it makes no sense to kill Gene the Hackman for his genes. All they need to do is get him to gob into a flask and do PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction), sequence it, and Bob's your uncle. The point of DNA is it can replicate and it contains the codes you need to make both proteins and more DNA. By chopping up Gene to harvest his DNA, they would get his genes, but they would lose all his knowledge and combat experience.

This isn't complicated science. This is pretty basic stuff that a layman sci-fi writer or a GCSE science student ought to know.

Quote from: Mikey on 05 February, 2011, 09:19:12 AM
And further to the time line questions - just notice what's on the big square telly.

I'd say that television looks about right for 1970. And that film being shown on TV would be about right for any date between 1960 and 1985.
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

Quote from: Martin Howe on 05 February, 2011, 11:27:11 PM
LOL @ Shakara the [spoiler]Biker[/spoiler] !! Wonder what prompted that?

Homage to Deadlock, ABC Warriors and Nemesis?

Much the same Prog as #1719, except this week we get to see more of Procopio's sexy curves again. I approve. Ditch Shakara. Procopio spin-off series soon, please?
STRIKE !!!

Mikey

Quote from: House of Usher on 06 February, 2011, 05:30:55 PM
This isn't complicated science. This is pretty basic stuff that a layman sci-fi writer or a GCSE science student ought to know.

True - however, I would imagine an autopsy/post mortem with full histo may reveal more about how those genes are expressing themselves for Evil Military! Plus revealing you want Gene The Hackman (Tougher and Tough, who has travelled far scrapping Them and lost his pack) to spit inna cup wouldn't be too dramatic I reckon.

QuoteI'd say that television looks about right for 1970. And that film being shown on TV would be about right for any date between 1960 and 1985.

Precisely my point!We had a telly like that up to 1984 and the last time I watched that film on TV meself was around 1993. The timeline isn't crucial to the yarn of course.

Unless there's a suggestion that those events are actually happening in real time in the story? Nah.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.