Main Menu

New Essential Judge Dredd graphic novel line launches in September

Started by IndigoPrime, 09 January, 2020, 11:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 10 January, 2020, 09:39:51 AM
Lorenzo - without knowing exactly which stories are included, I imagine that the 'America' volume contains more than the core America Beeny tales - take a look at the list of creators:

The first collection in the new line, Essential Judge Dredd: America, includes work by John Wagner (A History of Violence), Garth Ennis (Preacher), Alan Grant (Batman), Colin MacNeil (Judge Dredd), John Higgins (Watchmen), John M Burns (Modesty Blaise), and Jeff Anderson (Transformers).

Now, to me that says we are getting much more than in the earlier collection.
Yeah I did see that line-up. When I read it the first time, I took that to be a list of creators for the new series, not just the first book. My bad.

It would be really useful for us nerds if Rebellion included a list of Prog/Meg numbers when they release compilations like this. Everyone would know straight away what they are getting.

Apestrife

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 10 January, 2020, 09:54:37 AM
Intrigued to see Higgins on the crayons, any chance ä
In a 160-page book that includes (presumably, going by the creator line-up) the likes of Twilight's Last Gleaming and Democracy Now, I'd be very surprised if you get anything other than America Book I in there.

I like the idea of that. Hope it collects Letter from a democrat and Revolution as well :)

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 January, 2020, 09:48:42 AM
This looks like a serious attempt to crack the US nut, more power to Rebellion's elbow.  Intrigued to see Higgins on the crayons, any chance he'll take a crack at unCraddocking Fading of the Light?  See also: The Pit.

One guess would be its timed to Best of 2000ad. So if you liked this then try that type thing?

Quote from: Tomwe on 10 January, 2020, 09:53:37 AM
The 'larger size' is current Prog size, so that'll be a draw for some.

Given that some big books have broken the US market with this type of size this could link to the above as well?

Lorenzo

Whilst we're talking about content. Does anyone actually know what the difference is between

and

I just noticed the US TPB version (left) has 160 pages but the UK version has 144. Is there a covers gallery or something extra in the US book?

CalHab

This sounds like a good move to make Dredd accessible to new readers, particularly those outside the UK. On  Reddit, and presumably other social media sites, every second thread seems to ask "Where should I start with reading Dredd?". Saying "just read the Essential Judge Dredd series" is a lot better than referring people to book 5 of a 30+ book series, a book that features Dredd as an antagonist, and a handful of other books (in their many and varying editions).

Max Headroom

I wonder if the missing speech bubble in America 2 (see 'The Incomplete Case Files' thread in the 'Other Reviews' section for more details) could possibly make a comeback for this new version? Completeness is everything, after all!

Apestrife

Colin MacNeil on the cover of Origins. Wonder which story or stories they'll add. Perhaps The Spirit of Christmas as the mega collection volume?

I wouldn't mind Blood And Duty. A bit of background to Dredd and the first Rico.

Richard

In answer to Lorenzo, I think the newer volume includes Judgement Call from Megazine 300.

radiator

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 January, 2020, 09:48:42 AM
This looks like a serious attempt to crack the US nut, more power to Rebellion's elbow.  Intrigued to see Higgins on the crayons, any chance he'll take a crack at unCraddocking Fading of the Light?  See also: The Pit.

(Acknowledging that Alan was working at the dawn of digital colouring in the UK, and the limitations that implies, and aware of the the dangers of tinkering with works of art, but I'd still like to see II able to stand between I and III with its head held high.  But yes, I'm being mean).

Pretty certain that it'll just be Higgins recolouring/remixing his own work on Revolution.

I don't know what the likelihood would even be that they still have the black and white scans for America II and The Pit in the archives.

Bolt-01

just a thought regarding the colouring - If Rebellion really wanted to recolour the files but did not have access to the linework, would not Alan be the first port of call?

I know that from a lettering perspective I keep a 'build' version of all pages archived to allow for error spotting/revisions.

I'd be surprised if Alan didn't think on for that situation.

That being said - these would likely be a mountain of floppy disks & zip drives...

Lorenzo

Quote from: Richard on 21 February, 2020, 08:23:24 PM
In answer to Lorenzo, I think the newer volume includes Judgement Call from Megazine 300.
Ta very much! That would make sense. I think I'll keep the volume I have though. America/Fading of the Light is pretty much the story anyway.

IndigoPrime

*ring ring*

"Hey, Alan. You did a bloody awful job on America II, and so we want someone else to do it for a new book. Do you still have the original art scans? Hello? Hello? He hung up."

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 February, 2020, 10:39:07 AM
*ring ring*

"Hey, Alan. You did a bloody awful job on America II, and so we want someone else to do it for a new book. Do you still have the original art scans? Hello? Hello? He hung up."

Brilliant!  :lol: Although I think you could have a version of that conversation which acknowledges that Craddock was working in the very infancy of that technology, and things have moved on.