Main Menu

Prog 2200 - Beyond The Frontiers Of Future Fiction!

Started by Goosegash, 19 September, 2020, 11:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 September, 2020, 10:56:39 AM
I still think the Holmes conflation was a bit of a misstep to take with such a wonderful and original villainous character

Just noticed you have a Sherlock Holmes avatar.  Nice Sherlock Holmes avatar! You must be a Sherlock Holmes fan. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Super Mario

The Holmes thing has been teased for a while and there's clues littered around some of the previous stories.

Jacqusie

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 23 September, 2020, 08:45:22 PM

Still dont like the cover though. And the inevitable price rise next week was a small shock, even though it is of course worth twice that.

I agree about the cover it's really not my cup of tea and an odd choice for a jumping on prog where there is no story to which it pertains to (good to confuse the new readers!)

In regards to Stickleback and the reveal, there were many clues that he wasn't the man he always appeared to be and parts of the previous stories had scenes where dialogue and visual nods and winks were appearing.

I really like the back story and it's been fun trying to work things out over the saga, although I couldn't solve the complete pseudonym and identity puzzle, which made the spinal shedding even the more wonderful all those years ago.

It will be interesting how Stickleback Holmes will enagage with his former self over the series in what promises to be a visual feast.

metcalfecarr

Quote from: broodblik on 23 September, 2020, 04:51:09 AM

Future Shock – It started as a very generic shock but ended in an interesting twist. It is maybe time that Tharg gives Rory McConville a bigger jab at a more substantial story than all these once-offs.
oint is maybe this opens the door for a return of certain polar beast to return to the fold as well.

Tharg did with Devlin Waugh.  It made Skip Tracer look like Bad Company and Zenith
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

TordelBack

McConville writes a perfectly good Dredd, though (e.g..A Better Class of Criminal,  Commuter Pain, Future Crimes Unit). I wouldn't hold a weak Devlin against anyone, even Smith struggled on occasion, and it's so his strip that any other voice is in immediate difficulty.

broodblik

Quote from: metcalfecarr on 25 September, 2020, 03:17:21 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 23 September, 2020, 04:51:09 AM

Future Shock – It started as a very generic shock but ended in an interesting twist. It is maybe time that Tharg gives Rory McConville a bigger jab at a more substantial story than all these once-offs.
oint is maybe this opens the door for a return of certain polar beast to return to the fold as well.

Tharg did with Devlin Waugh.  It made Skip Tracer look like Bad Company and Zenith

His Devlin was definitely not John Smith but it was not that bad. It is not always easy taking on someone else creation and running with it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Well I really enjoyed that Prog from beginning to end. A fantastic mix of varied writing and art.

But goodness knows what someone jumping in for the first time (or the first time in twenty years) made of it.

Still great stuff and look forward to more of it all.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

norton canes

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 28 September, 2020, 10:46:10 AM
goodness knows what someone jumping in for the first time (or the first time in twenty years) made of it

A couple of weeks ago I said how strange it was that Dredd stories in jumping-on progs often referenced the preceding story when doing that might be confusing for new readers - instead, they might be better making a clean start. It's since dawned on me that the whole point of referencing previous events is so those new readers eventually buy the collection version. Of course! Sensible strategy.

Anyway, surely something for all jumping-on readers in this edition, with its kaleidoscopic melange of stories. Excellent punchline in Dredd - how gloriously obvious that it would never have occurred to the Judges that an educated populace would be more likely to behave itself! Hookjaw looks like it's going to go to all kinds of dark places (can we have it in a regened prog please, Tharg?), Skip Tracer does his... skippy thing, and Sinister Dexter [spoiler]oh come on, you must have all read it by now![/spoiler].

Ah. Just realised I haven't got round to reading Stickleback yet. Will remedy that immediately.

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK