Main Menu

Dreddverse Map

Started by Funt Solo, 16 January, 2021, 01:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoGilesGo

isn't Ciudad Barranquila on the site of present day Barranquila, on the northern coast of Colombia?

and since we are talking Latin America, Guatemala needs an entry.

Great Map.

IndigoPrime

Ciudad Barranquilla is centred on Buenos Aires.

sheridan

Now I've seen the map full-size can I make a suggestion for the next iteration?  Al's Baby is in the Historical section of Mega-City One.  Seeing as Chicago appears on the map perhaps Al's Baby should be in a historical section for The Cursed Earth instead.  I don't think we've ever seen the 22nd century version, but Chi-Town would probably count as Cursed Earth, even if it is still a city (a lá Las Vegas).

Funt Solo

Chi-Town is in Las Vegas?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 March, 2021, 04:43:36 PM

Not last time I checked?  Why do you ask?

Funt Solo

Quote from: sheridan on 18 March, 2021, 08:17:01 AM

Oh Grud! I was being super-dense. I've always had this mental block for Chicago where I get it muddled up with Manhatten, so I got confused by your post and thought that you were saying Chi-Town was set in Las Vegas.

All through my life I keep having to re-learn Chicago's actual location - plus the correct spelling of resteraunt restaurant.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 18 March, 2021, 02:09:40 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 18 March, 2021, 08:17:01 AM

Oh Grud! I was being super-dense. I've always had this mental block for Chicago where I get it muddled up with Manhatten, so I got confused by your post and thought that you were saying Chi-Town was set in Las Vegas.

All through my life I keep having to re-learn Chicago's actual location - plus the correct spelling of resteraunt restaurant.

Nah - I was saying that in the 22nd century, Chicago / Chi-Town would be in the Cursed Earth, like Las Vegas (as we saw in 2100's Cursed Earth).  Stirling work on the map, btw.

Funt Solo

Here you go, Sheridan [still best viewed magnified in a new tab]:

I've moved the boxes around a bit for more visual balance, and added Hershey to the Barranquilla box. The gap in the bottom right I think could do some justice to the idea of crossover stories - but in a limited way. Maybe folk can help here, but I know there are tenuous connections to at least the following:

- Fr1day
- Strontium Dog
- Flesh
- The ABC Warriors
- Savage
- Nemesis

What else could I put there, and what would be a good title for that section?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 March, 2021, 04:37:07 AM
Here you go, Sheridan [still best viewed magnified in a new tab]:

I've moved the boxes around a bit for more visual balance, and added Hershey to the Barranquilla box. The gap in the bottom right I think could do some justice to the idea of crossover stories - but in a limited way. Maybe folk can help here, but I know there are tenuous connections to at least the following:

- Fr1day
- Strontium Dog
- Flesh
- The ABC Warriors
- Savage
- Nemesis

What else could I put there, and what would be a good title for that section?

Excellent!

Both Flesh Book I and Nemesis the Warlock Book I take place in and around London (because Old One Eye's fossils are discovered when a line of the London Underground is being excavated, and the aliens are hidden in the forbidden levels - i.e. the London Underground again - specifically Waterloo - before being shipped away from Termight).

Funt Solo

Working on a new map and playing around with the location of MC-1.

Question: is there some lore that places Pittsburgh inside the confines of MC-1?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

Quote from: Credo! on 29 April, 2023, 07:53:40 PMWorking on a new map and playing around with the location of MC-1.

Question: is there some lore that places Pittsburgh inside the confines of MC-1?
I remember an infographic in one of the early progs which said that (pre-Apocalypse War) MC1 stretched from Montreal in the north to Georgia in the south, but it didn't say how far west it went. And it was contradicted by the story in the 1980 annual set in "Mega-Miami" anyway.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Funt Solo

Right - the earliest map had it stop way before Florida - but then during the Apoc. War it stretched all the way down there. I think I just go with whatever seems right, considering the blancmange of contradictions on offer.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Lawman of the Present

Recently having read through to Judge Dredd/Aliens, the prelude 'Out of the Undercity' (progs 1313-1316) places the White House in the Undercity.

I was always under the impression that the Undercity was confined to Manhattan, and not the entire Meg.

Especially given that the Black Atlantic ports on the East side, and Cursed Earth gates along the West Wall, must be ground level. The logic of the Undercity gets a bit strange when you consider sea level - I'd love to see someone tackle an Undercity map which fleshes out the practical implications and how such architecture might be feasible.

The Legendary Shark

I once had a conversation with John Wagner (yes I did, in Wales), in which we explored the possibility that the Undercity isn't a single continuous area but many places under MC1's foundations which have been domed-off as part of a reclamation/preservation project that never happened.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

In terms of maps there have been various ones in annuals / progs.  There are several map images in Block Mania that show the Florida panhandle as part of the city (albeit the maps are somewhat distorted). That said, the first Judge Dredd annual map has the city stopping much further North so there are clearly inconsistencies there.

It looks like the city at that time spread westward as far as Louisiana, Illinois and Tennessee.  Some of the Northern parts of the city look like they might have crossed the border into Canada.

The Sov bombardment in the Apocalypse War nuked out "every sector south of the 35th parallel, suggesting that prior to this point the Carolinas down to Miami were part of the city. This is before we get into more recent 'callings' as with the Total War storyline.  Even by the time of the Pit the city was in quite a different state with numerous wide open spaces that hadn't ever really been reclaimed since the AW.

I think Sharkey's idea that different parts of the city have been built from ground level whilst others have been built over / domed-off makes sense. The first appearance with Troggies uses places like The Bronx.  Fergie lives by the Ohio river, the Big Smelly.  The Werewolf storyline used Manhattan.  There is nothing to suggest that these are connected though.

The geography of MC1 has always been something fluid in some respects.  I would agree with LOTP, a map of the undercity as well as the city itself would be an interesting exercise.