Main Menu

Prog 2221 - Taking the Biscuit!

Started by McNulty, 27 February, 2021, 03:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Mardroid on 05 March, 2021, 02:43:16 AM
I don't see this so much as a contradiction to what happened before as more of an exploration of how her condition responds in extreme circumstances.

Yes, really good post this Mardroid. My initial comment on the review was a bit of a blanket 'well, I don't like this' but totally agree that this isn't a seismic shift, although I think it is a pretty significant one. She's always been portrayed as dangerous character - in the early Stront stuff everyone was terrified of her - and her doing this kind of stuff isn't that much of a stretch.
What was jarring for me was that if she was prone to doing stuff like this and felt bad about it afterwards then it's not like she couldn't take steps to stop it happening or putting herself in a situation where she wouldn't be having a murder spree.

I'm not sold on it, but I'm really into this Worley / Willsher version of the character and this story has wrong-footed me a few times already, so I'm not writing it off and very interested to see what happens next.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

To some degree, it's the first time for me that Red has felt like a threat—to the world in general and her own wellbeing. There were hints of this before, but it's far more overt now. It's also good to see a version of Red where she's not running around in her pants or wearing an outfit with a tiresome "everything on display" get-up that, for some reason, only she did in the main S/D universe. (I love Ezquerra art, but imagine Alpha dressed in a similar manner for bounty hunting and you'd be a bit hmmmm.)

Barrington Boots

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 March, 2021, 11:10:04 AM
It's also good to see a version of Red where she's not running around in her pants.... imagine Alpha dressed in a similar manner for bounty hunting and you'd be a bit hmmmm.)

Next sketch comp right there.

IndigoPrime

Five minutes in Photoshop and, well, yikes.

sintec

Barrington Boots

Barrington Boots

My wife says this is the best Johnny Alpha and complimented his lovely thighs.

Darren Stephens

Great cover, really like the dressed version too. That chunky pixel style typeface works really well.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

TordelBack

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 05 March, 2021, 06:52:27 PM
That chunky pixel style typeface works really well.

Not for me, I'm afraid. I like '80s computer magazine/game logos as much as the next ageing squaxx, but I had to wonder: why here? It doesn't relate to the rest of the cover dress, the laboured tagline pun or the story itself. Am I being characteristically dim and literal?  Is it because the cover is a homage to one from 1983?

scrotnig

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 March, 2021, 11:31:17 AM
That's traumatic.

My recovery has started, it may take some time but I will get there.

BPP

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 05 March, 2021, 11:31:17 AM

If that what it takes to get Red back to how Carlos drew her then I'm all in.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Darren Stephens

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 March, 2021, 07:56:58 PM
Quote from: Darren Stephens on 05 March, 2021, 06:52:27 PM
That chunky pixel style typeface works really well.

Not for me, I'm afraid. I like '80s computer magazine/game logos as much as the next ageing squaxx, but I had to wonder: why here? It doesn't relate to the rest of the cover dress, the laboured tagline pun or the story itself. Am I being characteristically dim and literal?  Is it because the cover is a homage to one from 1983?

I took it as being deliberately retro, yeh. Maybe? ;-)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

DrJomster

Playing catch up on the prog.... blimey, this was a good one! Great work all round, I have to say.

The old adage of "a good Dredd puts you on a good footing for a good prog" remains very true. Great story and absolutely gorgeous art from PJ.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.