Main Menu

Day of Chaos vs Oz - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! H2H Rd 8

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 April, 2021, 06:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

Day of Chaos for its build and build of things just keeping on going wrong!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Tomwe

Only read Day Of Chaos once, OZ is as engrained in my early tooth experience as Necropolis.

Sean SD

Haven't read heaps of the epics but Day of chaos and Oz I have  :)

Both very good but it's Day of Chaos for me

Funt Solo

Oz is like this carefree story - like it's namesake, The Wizard of Oz. Sure, there are villains, but they're pompous and ridiculous. Day of Chaos is more like an emotional brutality that carefully and methodically extinguishes all hope. In terms of wider context, Oz wins because the author ties the new facts neatly into a wider vision, whereas Day of Chaos takes both the readers and the other writing teams entirely by surprise, to such an extent that it feels almost as if nobody could quite filter in the new information.

There's that post-epic drive to bring everything back to a Mega-City Normal. After The Apocalypse War, that meant rad-pits and a smaller (but still massive) city. After Chaos Day, we're not quite sure what we're looking at. Neither are the writers. You can fictionally cherry-pick and have bits of ruined city and bits of immaculate city, but it still feels like it hasn't quite been addressed. The sector-renumbering after the War gave us a neat visual of what had happened, but we've not had (probably because there isn't one) any sort of unified vision for post-Chaos MC-1.

For grit and tension, then, if not wider coherence: Day of Chaos
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mikey

Oz has a special place in my heart. It felt like a real big event and was graced by a superb roster of artists - the switch between artists never seemed to jar. It was brilliant.

However I'm going for Day of Chaos. It was brutal in a way we hadn't seen before. It was magnificent.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Huey2

Rogue Judge

I cant vote! Haven't read Day of Chaos...been waiting for Case Files for most stories, but that might be 8 or so CF away and I'm not sure I can wait that long. I've been excited to read this epic for a while.

I do like Oz but will hold my judgment for now...

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Rogue Judge

Thank you for the links broodblik and recommendation Colin...I might have to just order these and enjoy now. More double dipping...I can just pass these along to my brother when the case files comes out (he gets a fair share of trades from me due to double dipping!). Thanks gents.

Southstreeter

DOC
loved how things just kept getting worse and worse, and also that bit when we thought Dredd's head had been blown off (ok we knew it hadn't, but it was a hell of a cliffhanger).

milstar

Seems that again i am in minority here as my voice goes to Oz. I like Day of Chaos uncompromising brutality, but I like more how Oz plays out. Judda storyline intertwined with Chopper's misadventures, with breathtaking climax. Somewhere i read that the climax is one of the reasons for breaking up the partnership between Wagner and Grant (Grant favored to have Chopper shot by Dredd).
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

WhizzBang

Colin YNWA

Think I see where this is headed but can change if the votes come in before I count up in the morning.

sintec