Main Menu

PJ Holden or Jock - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 9

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 May, 2021, 06:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I asked the question in the result I annouced today where will Current Team find it victories, well maybe it needs to be ties like this?

Both these artists went out in the first round of their respective tournaments - which really surprised me. Both started around the same time. Jock though burnt so bright before we knew it he was off to America and became quite the star there. We were lucky enough to keep PJ though and we've seen him get better and better before our eyes, so much so he's the co-creator of one of the comics biggest hit characters of the last couple of years, while still forging an impressive career elsewhere.

But remember folks it doesn't matter how much you loved Stingbags or the cover of Detective 881 we only deal in the realm of Tharg here.

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

PJ Holden - more info

OR

Jock - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Sunday 16th May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

PJ 4 : 1 Jock.

Jock is obviously a great artist, working very much in the scratchy style I favour,  but PJ"s contribution is vast, diverse and just more fun.

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

I really like Jock's style but PJ brings it home all the time, every time.

PJ Holden 4, Jock 1.

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

milstar

Considering i hate Jock's style, PJ takes it all the way.

PJ Holden 5
Jock 0
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I had issues with PJ's style when he first turned up- but in the last year or so I have come to the point where I do a little squeal of delight every time he turns up in the prog, and consider him one of Tharg's A Team. As for Jock, I prefer his covers to his strip work- which I find curiously lacking in character and very samey across everything he does. So, we have to go...

PJ 3
Jock 2

SBT

AlexF

Yeah, this really is a comparison of a shower vs a grower; PJ's early work had the feel of someone who really wanted to be a 2000AD artist bt wasn't quite there, while is later work has the confidence of someone who's so versed in 2000AD he could deliver in his sleep (I'm sure he doesn't sleep while drawing).
Jock has a superlative sense of design and a scratchy ink line that I happen to like, but his storytelling and background detail just is not in the same league. And yeah, if I had to pit L. Zero against N. Chimpsky, I'm voting with the ape...

Holden 4; Jock 1

Tomwe

broodblik

One thing I want to add is that PJ has an excellent vision on how to do panel layouts especially how to place his characters
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

Magnetica

Wow lot of love for PJ here....but I'm not surprised. I wonder - are his periodic appearances on this Forum, in which he always comes across as friendly, reasonable and knowledgable, a factor? It's like he is one of us, just way better at drawing. 😉

DrJomster

Way, way, way better in my case!

PJ 3 Jock 2

Jock's still pretty good actually, so scores a couple off me! Yup. But I am loving PJ in Captain Cookie at the moment (I'm playing catch up on my progs after some RL stuff interrupted normal service).
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Rogue Judge

PJ 4: Jock 1

I often base my vote on who's original art I would rather own...the fact that I always have PJ in the back of my mind to reach out about a commission makes this an easy decision.