Main Menu

Patrick Goddard or Kev Walker - Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 10

Started by Colin YNWA, 14 May, 2021, 06:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Patrick Goddard is an under-rated genius in my eyes. His art is so 2000ad, tight and nimble, yet with a rugged strength. Clean and sharp, yet with a grit that feels so grounded and real. He might have only got to the second round of the Current tourney, but I think his art is long overdue reappraisal. Kev Walker didn't get out the first round of the Classic tourney BUT he drew Mike McMahon so his form can't be based on that. His art has developed so completely across this long time under Tharg's wing that in some ways he's hard to pin down. Do you love his close, precious inks when he started, his bright, tidy painted work in ABCs, or his clinical high contrast later work? Or does his simple variety ring your bells?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Patrick Goddard - more info

OR

Kev Walker - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Monday 17th May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

broodblik

Very difficult one this one for me but I will give the benefit the the current artist:

Goddard 3: Walker 2
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Patrick Goddard has to be one of the most underrated artists on Tharg's books. He never produces anything less than good clean art with clear story telling. I'm always happy to see him in the Prog.

Kev Walker has been a major contributor over the years and has produced some stunning art but has never quite got the plaudits that some others do; but suspect there is much lover for his work on this Forum.

Goddard 3 : 2 Walker

AlexF

I respect Goddard's work but in all honesty it has never quite sparked for me. Walker, on the other hand, was one of the very best things in the Prog/Meg circa 1991, and then he found a way to improve his work when he chucked in the paints and started cartooning. If there was a Dredd chin-off between artists, Siku might win it for sheer size and pointiness, but Walker would win on granite-factor.

Walker 4, Goddard 1

(I'm giving Goddard points for the later books of Savage - his crowd scenes of humans in Blackblood masks were genuinely awesome)

TordelBack

I shan't mince words. Goddard does fine, fine work, with stunning detail and complete distinct, but Kev's transition from lumpen  leathery Anderson through the best ever I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Warhammer* colour art on ABC Warriors, spiky Tor Cyan and Sin City to the sublimely moody minimalism of Mandroid and The Connection is just mind-blowing.

Kevin 4 : 1 Patrick.

*This must have been Pat's corporate revenge.  I'm doing an episode-a-day slow thoughtful re-read of Nemesis** at the moment, and holy shit Games Workshop, you were naughty naughty boys. Have some of your own medicine,  care of Kevin.

**It's a sublime work, since you ask, maybe 2000AD's single best long-running strip.

rogue69

Barrington Boots

Magnetica and Colin sum up Patrick Goodard for me, he seems very underrated - his work is gritty but crisp, full of action and full of character, and his storytelling is excellent. His work on Savage elevated a hundrum strip to a highlight, his recent Dredd cityscapes in the Surfer story were fantastic.

Goddard 4 : 1 Walker
You're a dark horse, Boots.

BPP

Two great artists, one a powerhouse of stripped down minimalism the other probably the best continuation of traditional British action comics stylings... hummm...

3-2 Kev due to Sin City / Mandroid / The Connection.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Tomwe

I like Pat's work a lot but he's up against Kev who was one of the quintessential artists of my break-in era. So...

Patrick Goddard - 1

Kev Walker - 4

abelardsnazz

Love Patrick's work on Savage, it's exactly right for those stories. Kev's work has varied in style, but he's created some memorable moments in Dredd, ABC etc.

Patrick Goddard 3, Kev Walker 2.

paddykafka

Sean SD

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 May, 2021, 08:27:19 AM
*This must have been Pat's corporate revenge.  I'm doing an episode-a-day slow thoughtful re-read of Nemesis** at the moment, and holy shit Games Workshop, you were naughty naughty boys. Have some of your own medicine,  care of Kevin.

**It's a sublime work, since you ask, maybe 2000AD's single best long-running strip.

Certainly is - Book III began around the time I started reading 2000AD and it's influence has kept me on board for thirty eight years and counting...

Which episode are you up to so far?

TordelBack

(Don't want to derail the voting thread, so follow me over to What's Everyone Reading for an answer).