Main Menu

What I Have Learnt From Comics

Started by WhizzBang, 13 August, 2021, 08:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhizzBang

I have ben reading the 50's collection of Roy Of The Rovers (which is great) and in one story a player gets injured and Melchester are then a man down for the rest of the gane. I thought that sounded odd, why don't they just bring on a sub? I looked it up an apparently teams were not allowed in-game substitutions until 1958 - before that subs were only used for when players didn't turn up for games.

So what else have comics taught me? I seem to remember an early Eagle strip explained how to make a Molotov Cocktail.

Has anybody else learnt anything from comics or do they just turn our brains to mush?

MumboJimbo

Cool, didn't know that either!

There was a Future Shock circa 1984-ish where a guy gets a job on a long haul transport ship, and when he eventually returns to his family, they have aged greatly compared to him, because of relativity and that the ship travelled close to the speed of light. That blew my mind at the time. Or it may have been that I found out a bit later that the story was theoretically possible, and then it blew my mind.