Main Menu

Seven Soldiers

Started by Satanist, 21 February, 2005, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tordelbach

Bought this (#0) on the Morrison/Williams III ticket, enjoyed it as a standalone yarn, but get the feeling that with a DC Superhero background limited to the Moore and Miller opus I'm missing a great deal. Given the obviously huge outlay in following the verious titles, I think I need more info before I commit.  

So, for the wiser heads, a few questions (treat these as Spoilerific):

(1).  'Seven Soldiers' in the title: why only six Supers in the comic?
(2). How do the enjoyable C-list folks in this tale fit into the overall saga?  Are we likely to see them again, or are they dead in a real sense? (I particularly liked the Gimmick - where has she appeared before?).
(3).  Is the Spyder at the beginning of the book the same 'version' of the character as in the rest - is this part of his backstory (he refers to the 7 Unknown Men giving him his powers?).  

Anything else I should know?  You can see this one has me interested...

Art

SPOILERIFIC ANSWERS

(1) The seventh soldier "got cold feet at the last minute"that might be why they die horribly...
(2) My guess would be that they are horribly dead forever. Theres references to a Plan B and seven new conscripts...
(3)I think so

ukdane

Heh, HoU: I sold out, after being won over by the hype generated on this site, and decided to get the individual issues- I'll probably regret this later on- when a lavish tpb is released, but figure at least this way, I can stay in touch with the comments on ths site, and not have to worry about spoilers ;-)
Cheers

-Daney

The Monarch

Heh liked the reference to slaughter swamp and cyrus gold anyway as for the six soldiers (my bet is Deadman was the seventh)

1 The whip: granddaughter of an obscure golden age character of the same name

2 Gimmix: obviously related to Merry the girl of a thousand gimmics and Sylvestor pemberton (star spangled kid/sky man) new character made up for this

3 boy blue: not much is mentioned but he is obviously a new version of an even obscurer golden age team called little boy blue and the blue boys.

4 I spyder: The brother of the villian who appeared in Starman hope he comes back and isn't dead.

5 dinomite Dan: new character but he uses the rings of obscure golden age heroes (see a pattern here) TNT and Dan the dynomite

6 Vigilante: Greg saunders the only hero who is an established dc universe character. He was a member of the original seven soldiers and appears to die rather horribly in this story.

Tordelbach

Cheers for the info, chaps.  I'm actually none the wiser after all that, knowing naught of the DC Universe bar what Moore, Miller, Gaiman and Irish-dubbed versions of the current JLA cartoon have shown me, but at least I know that this is SUPPOSED to be obscure to the point of vanishing, and I'm not the straight man in some in-joke.