Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Just about to start reading Handling The Undead, by John Ajvide Lindqvist, who wot wrote Let The Right One In- and very much looking forward I am too.

Just finished Grandville by Mr Bryan Talbot, of this parish, which was an xmas present from my wife- and which was a hundred pages of sheer badgery joy.

SBT

mogzilla

my wife got me a "ripley's" book about the wierd stuff in our world included are a picture of a mans arm (sans man) in a croc's gob and a gross chinese market with oven ready dog!

also got a young bond book wich i dont really like and a nice monsters book of doctor who...

House of Usher

I popped into town yesterday to spend some of the HMV token I was given. I spent it on books, which included a coffee table book of Salvador Dali (Taschen), The New Biographical Dictionary of Film, 1001 Pin-up Girls (Taschen), The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories, and my favourite, Sleeveface: photographs of people holding up record sleeves in front of their faces. Cute and whimsical, and only £3.

At the same time I noticed how many utter shite comedy fantasy novels there are at the moment playing with literary themes and characters.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

QuoteThe Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories

Let us know how that one goes, Usher, I've been thinking about picking it up.  Feel free to keep any reactions to the 1,001 Pinup Girls to yourself though.

House of Usher

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories was £3 in the HMV sale. I'll give a reaction as soon as I've read it or Deborah's read it for me. She's a faster reader than I am!
STRIKE !!!

wild-seven

I liked 'Oyster Boy' but then I'm a sucker for all things Tim Burton *awaits the wrath of Gloady*
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Mike Gloady

No wrath, it's all subjective. 

I just get the impression that he's constantly makiing the same film/whatever (which I've not usually thought much of the previous times he made it).  I will usually watch his flicks though, there's usually SOMETHING to latch onto though.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Jared Katooie

Zarjazzer

"Blood Pact" been out since October  I think but I got it for Christmas.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

I, Cosh

Read Ringworld on Boxing Day. Starts out great but sort of fizzles out at the end. I know there's at least one follow-up, but do we ever find out who or what built the Ringworld?

Recently had Frederick Forsyth's The Afghan thrust upon me by my cousin. The thriller is not a genre I've ever dabbled in and it was a strange read as at least half the book was flashback over the entire careers of the two main characters and the reader already knows the solution to the mystery which the security bods are trying to solve. One of the flashback strands does manage to give an excellent overview of Afghan history and politics since the Russian invasion, effectively illustrating the foolishness of viewing the Afghans as a united force under the Taliban, Islam their own notional government or anything else. That bit was good.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 28 December, 2009, 05:55:23 PM
I know there's at least one follow-up, but do we ever find out who or what built the Ringworld?

Yes we do, ([spoiler] it was the Pak[/spoiler]), revealed in the sequel The Ringworld Engineers.  There are at least two other sequels that I know of, and a handful of prequels, and it's part of Niven's Known Space universe, which when last I looked comprised dozens of short stories and not a few novels, even some by other authors.

There's some smart ideas there, but TBH I find Niven on his own clever but a bit dull - possibly unique amongst authors I find his collaborative novels (Footfall, Mote in God's Eye, Legacy of Heorot) muh more fun.  His politics are well dodgy (IMHO), but he did give us the short story/essay that preempted just about every dirty joke ever made about superheroes, 'Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex'.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: The Cosh on 28 December, 2009, 05:55:23 PM
Read Ringworld on Boxing Day. Starts out great but sort of fizzles out at the end. I know there's at least one follow-up, but do we ever find out who or what built the Ringworld?

Loved Ringworld when I was  all of 12, but it's not Orbitsville or Rendezvous with Rama, is it Cosh?

Skip straight to the 4th book Ringworld's Children -- more plot than the preceding books combined in half the page count of any of the individual volumes.

Do not even contemplate Ringworld Throne Cosh. The unintentional pun of the title says everything you need to  know about this book
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

das

wheeee just finished the dredd vs aliens era progs !!
Confusion is Better Than Sex

Jared Katooie

I'm reading Ed Brubaker's Captain America.

It's at it's best when it avoids the sillier elements of the Marvel universe, but it seems like a precarious balancing act. For example, I keep wndering if Nick Fury is going to turn out to be a robot, or how long it takes before Civil War crashes into the ongoing storyline and derails it.

Stupid Marvel.