Main Menu

SFX Weekender 2010

Started by Robo-K33F, 02 July, 2009, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robo-K33F

SFX unveils the SFX Weekender
Europe's leading sci-fi magazine and website reveals massive fan event

02/07/09 – Sci-fi fans from across Europe will be invading idyllic Camber Sands early next year as the first-ever SFX Weekender takes place.

As the first fan event of its kind in the UK – the SFX Weekender promises the ultimate sci-fi experience with activities for fans – with book readings, big name guests, interviews, Q&A sessions, comic workshops, with videogaming, music and plenty more at one of the UK's best-loved holiday camps.

With a full line-up to be announced over coming months, sci-fi legends John Barrowman (Doctor Who & Torchwood) and James Marsters (Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dragon Ball Z and Torchwood) are already signed to appear at the SFX Weekender.  Also confirmed are Doctor Who scribe Paul Cornell, and novelists China Mieville and Robert Rankin.  Exhibitors and supporters include Manga, Forbidden Planet International, Tor, Gollancz, Diamond Comics Distribution and 2000AD.  

SFX Weekenders will get the chance to fully immerse themselves in the sci-fi culture which made SFX Europe's bestselling genre magazine and leading website.  Fans can get themselves written into a comic strip, get into discussion with their favourite author, chill out at the anime café, get digital art tips, or be amongst the first to see exclusive screenings of film and TV shows.

Taking place at Camber Sands Holiday Camp in Sussex on Friday 5th February and Saturday 6th February, the SFX Weekend also includes the announcement of the annual SFX Awards – counting votes from thousands of fans for their favourite shows, movies, games, books, comics and stars of 2009.

Dave Bradley , Editor of SFX said:

"Over the years, sci-fi fans have asked us to put on a live event, and we're delighted to announce the first-ever SFX Weekender.  This will be an unforgettable event, and look forward to bringing loads of enthusiasts together to celebrate this vibrant scene with a taste of what makes SFX Europe's favourite sci-fi magazine and website, with the help of our friends and some very special guests."

Full-line up details and timetable will be announced over coming months at www.sfxweekender.com. Tickets cost £85 per person and include two nights accommodation with entry into all arenas.  Tickets are on sale now at the www.sfxweekender.com website, or by calling 08700 110034.  Kids under 12 go for free.

Trout

That's a great price, with accommodation included. You'd be lucky to get two nights at or near any other con for £85. I expect it's basic, but... tempted.

Bit far for me, though.

- Old Jock McTrout

Bolt-01

Bah- Too close to Hi-Ex for me to consider.

I, Cosh

Quote from: "King Trout"That's a great price, with accommodation included. You'd be lucky to get two nights at or near any other con for £85. I expect it's basic, but... tempted.

Bit far for me, though.

- Old Jock McTrout
Probably. It's an old Butlins camp or something where they've been holding the All Tomorrows Parties music festival for a few years. SOunds like a nice idea.
We never really die.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "The Cosh"
Quote from: "King Trout"I expect it's basic

Probably. It's an old Butlins camp or something where they've been holding the All Tomorrows Parties music festival for a few years.

I've been to two ATPs at Camber Sands. It's an old Pontins complex that's, well, pretty much what you'd expect. Rooms are fairly basic but do the job; you're not really meant to spend much time in them at these things after all. It's quite nice having everything centralised there in the complex, so there's never really a reason to leave it - which is just as well, 'cos it's in the middle of nowhere!
@jamesfeistdraws

Robo-K33F

The SFX guys have got some really great ideas on how this thing could develop and become the definitive sci-fi convention in the UK.

They are also very open to any suggestions for activities & panels that could take place over the weekend - could be an ideal place to screen this Judge Minty film?

I admire their enthusiasm and am really looking forward to the event.

Trout

Quote from: "Robo-K33F"I admire their enthusiasm

Me too! I think it's a bloody good idea.

dweezil2

It's just down the road from me, so I've got no excuse not to go. Any news on writers or artists from 2000ad who'll be attending?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Robo-K33F

Quote from: "dweezil2"It's just down the road from me, so I've got no excuse not to go. Any news on writers or artists from 2000ad who'll be attending?

Sorry, dweezil2, no info. as of yet.

I'm still waiting on some more info. from SFX first.  As soon as we have confirmations on  2000 AD creator attendees I'll post them up.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "Dark Jimbo"
Quote from: "The Cosh"
Quote from: "King Trout"I expect it's basic

Probably. It's an old Butlins camp or something where they've been holding the All Tomorrows Parties music festival for a few years.

I've been to two ATPs at Camber Sands. It's an old Pontins complex that's, well, pretty much what you'd expect. Rooms are fairly basic but do the job; you're not really meant to spend much time in them at these things after all. It's quite nice having everything centralised there in the complex, so there's never really a reason to leave it - which is just as well, 'cos it's in the middle of nowhere!

Well there is the beach across the road which is worth a visit even in February.

I havent stayed in the camp ever but i do remember going to the beach at Camber in the summer and every time the you heard the lunch time bell from the camp across the road the beach would clear itself en masse with a mass exodus of campers .

It was quite a sight i tell ye and sort of amusing to watch as well.

Camber Sands low security recreational detainment facility :

Theres not much else there though.

You can run but where are you going to run to ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

dweezil2

Quote from: "Robo-K33F"
Quote from: "dweezil2"It's just down the road from me, so I've got no excuse not to go. Any news on writers or artists from 2000ad who'll be attending?

Sorry, dweezil2, no info. as of yet.

I'm still waiting on some more info. from SFX first.  As soon as we have confirmations on  2000 AD creator attendees I'll post them up.

Nice one, cheers!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Martin Jameson

Sounds great - not too far from me.

Price is based on 8 sharing an apartment - does that mean if I take my wife I have to pay 8 times? Or am I stupid?

Tiplodocus

This sort of thing should be encouraged.

Just a pity it's an SFX event though - too much Buffy/Angel/Who/Torchwood worship for my tastes.

But best of luck to them.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Trout

I have a confession to make. I've never read SFX.

Please don't burn me.

- Trout

Bolt-01

Trout- don't worry I only ever really look at who the fanzine of the month is- and this month it is bagged so I can't even do that :)

Stacey and Bluemeanie are about the closest we have here to being moles over there. I've seen both of them on the SFX forums.