Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Adam Curtis once again out did himself with TRAUMAZONE: RUSSIA 1985 - 1999, chronicling with silent narration through thousands of kilometers of archive footage the bloodied path the former soviet union carved through the world during the early years of its death spiral.

pauljholden

Currently Watching:
DISNEY+
The Old Man (aka Jason Bourne is very very old now) which is quite good. (on Disney+)
Andor - others have mentioned it - a high budget blakes seven...

NETFLIX
Exception, a CGI Anime, about far future where a ship heading to mankinds new home 3d prints a crew (using genetic materials and stored memory) to get the place ready for when mankind finally arrives in a 100 years (humans can't stand faster than light travel, so this way they send data and dna). But one of the humans is misprinted, and it's pretty good actually. I'm not fond of the character designs or the lighting but I'm here for the hard scifi element.

Midnight Club (bunch of very sick kids spend their remaining days in a spooky sanitarium which has more going on than you think). Pretty solid. Enjo9ying it.

Cabinet of Curiosities, onle seen ep 1 but it's great (love me an anthology show)

Prime Video:
Devil's Hour - don't want to spoil it, but ostensibly it's a crime show about some kind of serial killer - but I've been describing it as a british version of True Detective Series 1. [spoiler]It's got a time traveller twist to it but it's shot and played like a fairly straight british crime drama[/spoiler] I thought it was great...

BBC iPlayer
SAS Rogue Heroes -= enormous fun, with moments where you think hmm this is actually all pretty awful (which the characters aslo breifly reflect on) before the enormous fun starts again. Heard is dismissivly described as Dad-Rock/Clarkson esque, to me it's like British WWII war movie meets James Gunn Suicide Squad. Really enjoyed it and I'm now about halfway through the book it was based on.

And that's my current telly diet...

Richmond Clements

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 17 October, 2022, 04:31:19 PM
cunk on britain.
it's truly terrifying.
more please!

The follow-up series, Cunk on Earth, arrived on the iPlayer a couple of weeks back. It is magnificent.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 November, 2022, 03:05:21 PM
Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 17 October, 2022, 04:31:19 PM
cunk on britain.
it's truly terrifying.
more please!

The follow-up series, Cunk on Earth, arrived on the iPlayer a couple of weeks back. It is magnificent.

Yes, yes it is. I was so sad when i found out it was only 5 episodes!

JohnW

Just stumbled across Documentary Now! and it's making me wish I watched more documentaries just so I'd better appreciate the parody. I can only speak for the present series, and I wasn't uniformly blown away, but the two instalments where I was familiar with the sources were marvellous. These were a take on Werner Herzog's work and a Welsh version of When We Were Kings. They're almost beyond funny, in that their commitment to tone and style is so convincing.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

The Legendary Shark

Thanks for the heads-up - I just binged all four seasons and mostly loved it. A few didn't gel with me, most of them were pretty solid, and one or two just sublime.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

I have got past the halfway mark with One Piece.  I have carried on into the time-skip and overall, I'm still not impressed.  Thriller Bark and Summit Wars were incredibly tedious with the exception of Impel Down which I actually enjoyed.  I'm nearly done with Fishman Island and... it's pretty bad.  I think I have managed to become numb to how low quality the story telling and how truly dreadful the one note and repetitive jokes are... or do I mean characters?  Hmm, it's hard to tell given that many of character are only jokes.  Speaking of which, Sanji is the worst and I hate him with a passion.

If I carry on at the rate I'm going, I won't be done until the end of next year.  I really need to reconsider what I'm doing with my time.  Watching it has kind of just become a habit at this point.

Dandontdare

New season - not quite the same without Jessica Walters, but it's still... wait .. I had something for this...

The Legendary Shark

Oooh, I love me some Archer. To the top of the list this goes!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Was the unraveled mystery of 1899 worth the 8 episode investment?

Maybe for those who were punching air after watching the final episode of Lost.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Link Prime on 08 December, 2022, 02:25:35 PM
Was the unravelled mystery of 1899 worth the 8 episode investment?

I couldn't even make it to the end of Episode 2!
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 December, 2022, 02:38:09 PM

They are[spoiler] caught in a giant video game[/spoiler]....more or less. not worth the wait.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Currently enjoying Wednesday, even with it stupidly young cast. Most of whom revel in crashing their stereotypes (good thing)
The 'stoner joke went over my head at first!
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 December, 2022, 01:47:28 PM

They are[spoiler] caught in a giant video game[/spoiler]....more or less. not worth the wait.

That would be instantly rejected a too cliched for a Future Shock!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 09 December, 2022, 03:35:43 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 December, 2022, 01:47:28 PM

That would be instantly rejected a too cliched for a Future Shock!
Turns out the producers wholesale ripped off an independent comic book into the bargain. Pretty grim stuff.