Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Yeah that's a good shout, be good to dip my toes in before I commit to buying a load of them. It mainly looks expensive when I look at the Games Workshop store, Amazon do seem to have some cheaper off-brand options with good reviews. Might pick up some sort of 'starter kit' from them and see how I get on.

Glad to hear you're not finding the variation thing a problem, I still haven't sat down to a game (hopefully tonight!) but looking over the rules I was a little worried about there not being a campaign or a set of missions to go through. The setup for the mission itself is very, very cool though, and if the randomized rooms and different patrols make each game play out differently then that's all good. Thinking about most board games I play they do tend to be one scenario with various randomized elements shaking things up each time and this seems no different.

SIP

Exactly what I thought.  Most board games are a single idea,  from chess to monopoly,  it's the random events and other players actions that make each game different.  Here, there are random patrols, random events and changing room locations.  Throw in other unpredictable players and I think you have more than enough variation.

The price of figures is crazy,  each assassin is selling for  20 pounds online right now.  I paid 18 for a marine commander last year. ....shocking!
You can get some better value boxes of soldiers/Marines etc if you have a browse in games workshop or online.

shaolin_monkey

Woohoo! Some gaming buddies have thrown together an X-Wing core pack for me to try out. Good - I'm sick of my 10 year old thrashing me at Carcassone. Now I will bring the might of the Empire down upon her!!

Well, two TIE fighters anyway...

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 May, 2015, 10:58:10 AM
looking over the rules I was a little worried about there not being a campaign or a set of missions to go through.

I've been mocking up a set of Genestealer Cult rules to add some variation to the theme. The sparsity of the art on the cards make them really easy to do up in Photoshop. I have my old Space Hulk Genestealer hybrids, and the old cult set, but word is that GW is going to release a new Genestealer Cult set.

Theblazeuk

I am finding myself increasingly drawn to Dungeons and Dragons after finding masses of interesting reads in blogs for homebrew content (Goblin Punch is amazing stuff, the Dungeon Dozen is a great format for brainstorming ideas) but keep wondering where to play it :/

Other than that I have found a great place in Bristol on a recent visit that has oodles of common or garden boardgames, 'The Playground'. Worth a check if you are ever in the area, just by St Nick's markets. There's table football, scrabble and even swings (though they are more like benches).

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 12 May, 2015, 10:22:00 PM
I am finding myself increasingly drawn to Dungeons and Dragons after finding masses of interesting reads in blogs for homebrew content (Goblin Punch is amazing stuff, the Dungeon Dozen is a great format for brainstorming ideas) but keep wondering where to play it :/

Me and my brother have been trying to figure out how to run a game together for a while, he's in Canada and I'm in Scotland but we're convinced there must be a way to make it Skype-able!

Had a practice run on Assassinorum last night with me controlling all the assassins just to learn the rules, and it seems pretty easy to pick up after a few rounds. Some good emergent moments of drama - found the teleporter and deduced that the control room must be the one uncovered room on the other end of the board, which lead to three assassins holding off enemies at the teleporter while one lone guy made a run for the controls. He made it to the controls but never made it back to the teleporter, so the final battle with Lord Drask played out against the backdrop of that poor wee fella on the other board getting slowly outnumbered.

It was great fun and can't wait to play it with other humans. Only concern after finishing it first time is it might be a little easy to beat - I might have gotten lucky or might be misunderstanding some of the line of sight rules but it seems fairly simple to kill the renegades or sneak around them unspotted. Saying that it could be the point - they're easy to dispatch individually but become a threat quickly if you let them pile up. Did have a few instances of enemies I'd craftily stealthed past becoming alerted when a nearby enemy fired. Plus I did lose one assassin and only defeated Lord Drask one turn from the end of the ritual, so if every game is a skin of your teeth affair like that it could remain quite thrilling.

Enjoy X-Wing Shaolin Monkey! I've only played a couple of games at a friends and I was really bad at it (spent most of my time careering through asteroids) but would like to give it another crack sometime, seemed a lot of fun and very tactical.

Richmond Clements

I knew you'd say that...

Re: The Board Game Thread

« Reply #230 on: Today at 09:22:27 AM »

Modify
Remove
Split Topic

QuoteQuote from: Theblazeuk on 12 May, 2015, 10:22:00 PM

Me and my brother have been trying to figure out how to run a game together for a while, he's in Canada and I'm in Scotland but we're convinced there must be a way to make it Skype-able!

I know there are folks who play over Skype - go for it I say!

SIP

On my first go at assassinorum I got slaughtered. That's because I left guards on alert,  got multiple event cards every go (and they were all bad). I also mistakenly believed that I could get multiple hits on a chaos Marine in one turn (he has armor of 5, so when I got a 6 I assumed two hits). This was incorrect,  can only get one hit on a single attack.

Second time I played it,  almost beat it......ran out of turns when confronting the chaos sorcerer.  Exactly the same thing happened last night,  but I was very close to winning (one shot away).

My conclusion is that perhaps 4 assassins is 2 too many for a serious challenge,  but things can go spectacularly badly if you get an unfortunate series of events cards.

radiator

We've got friends visiting at the moment and Quirkle has gone down a treat, even with one friend in particular who 'doesn't like games'. I got the travel version which is great for the pub.

Great stuff, thanks for the recommends everyone. I'll definitely be picking up copies for all my family this Christmas.

Modern Panther

Hey fellahs.  Just wanted to share the Fallout Monopoly I made for the other half's birthday. 

I'm not a fan of monopoly.  I'd go so far as saying I hate monopoly.  But she loves it, bless her, and she loves Fallout.

shaolin_monkey

That is fucking awesome.

I hate Monopoly, but I'd play that!!!

sheridan

Any new news on the Munchkin Apocalypse: Judge Dredd release date?  I think it was mentioned somewhere upthread (the expansion, not the release date).

ThryllSeekyr

Munchkin should this game be played by adults or their children or both?

I have the core rules for their spin on Dungeons & Dragons, but slightly water damaged.

Wonder if there is compendium.

sheridan

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 02 July, 2015, 03:33:52 AM
Munchkin should this game be played by adults or their children or both?

I have the core rules for their spin on Dungeons & Dragons, but slightly water damaged.

Wonder if there is compendium.

Munchkin is a card game that can be played by 2-4 players aged 10 and up (that's what it says on the boxes in front of me, though the more cards you have the more players can join in).

What you have is a roleplaying game based on the D20 (Dungeons and Dragons 3.5) rules system but Munchkin themed.  This is the same games system which was used as the basis for the Judge Dredd and Sláine RPGs which were released at the beginning of this century.  The latest Judge Dredd (and Strontium Dog) games use Traveller instead of D20.

p.s. there's also a Munchkin-themed boardgame, and another card game which is a rethemed version of Love Letter, but Munchkin itself is the original card game.

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: sheridan on 02 July, 2015, 12:20:35 AM
Any new news on the Munchkin Apocalypse: Judge Dredd release date?  I think it was mentioned somewhere upthread (the expansion, not the release date).

I've been checking for this weekly but the last updated news says it should be out this autumn (at least in the US).

Quote from: Munchkin website
We (currently) have six new boosters on the schedule for the rest of 2015. In no particular order, and without giving away too much, I can tell you that:

One of them is Munchkin Apocalypse: Judge Dredd, which is in Steve's hands for some TLC. (Steve is the Law!) We still expect to see it this fall.

From here: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/news/archive.html

You said you can play Munchkin with 2 players, Sheridan, but I had thought the minimum was 3 (I haven't played it yet). Do you have experience with 2 players, with modified rules maybe?

I was holding off buying Apocalypse because the only people who would play it with me aren't English but the Italian translation doesn't work so well. The pun on the 7th Seal, for example is 7 Sigilli Fochissimi, meaning the 7 seals (scroll closing devices) very seal (aquatic mammal), with the last word being a pun on "very cool". But the inclusion of the animal seal in Italian makes no sense, it's no pun, you'd have to know the English pun in the first place to understand why they'd included it. Very strange.

While we wait for the autumn, have a look at another Munchkin pun.