Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Still to give X-Wing a go, I think the boy has 2 x-wing 3 tie fighters and slave-1. The ships are v expensive for what they are but do look nice. I'm guessing the games a bit good then?

Next game I fancy is Muchkin or Munchkin:Apocalypse but they can wait for now.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Satanist on 27 July, 2015, 02:27:33 PM
Still to give X-Wing a go, I think the boy has 2 x-wing 3 tie fighters and slave-1. The ships are v expensive for what they are but do look nice. I'm guessing the games a bit good then?

It is indeed. You can start playing literally within minutes of opening the box, using the quick start rules. The main rule book just adds greater depth.
Yeah, the ships are expensive. But I figure that for every time I don't go the the Vue for a movie or don't go out for a night of drinking, I can afford a couple more ships..!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 July, 2015, 02:33:32 PM
Yeah, the ships are expensive. But I figure that for every time I don't go the the Vue for a movie or don't go out for a night of drinking, I can afford a couple more ships..!
So there's no way you could have a tournament in the pub...?
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: The Cosh on 27 July, 2015, 02:35:17 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 27 July, 2015, 02:33:32 PM
So there's no way you could have a tournament in the pub...?

I would certainly be...conflicted.

TordelBack

I feel the conflict within you.  Let go of your wallet.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TotalHack on 27 July, 2015, 03:52:29 PM
I feel the conflict within you.  Let go of your wallet.

There is no conflict.

sheridan

Quote from: Satanist on 27 July, 2015, 02:27:33 PM
Munchkin Apocalypse can wait, but for how long (it was announced almost a year ago now - 15 cards are sure taking a long time to produce)

Ancient Otter

If boarders don't mind buying from The Book Depository, they are good to go to save money on X-Wing or any other game by Fantasy Flight Games, free postage too

Sometimes they cut the prices very, very low. A person I know got the Rebel epic ships together for around seventy Euro together, he checked the site fifteen minutes later they had sold out.

Third Estate Ned

Found my old copy of Hero Quest in my folks' attic and was surprised to find it almost intact. I'm missing a zombie, a skeleton, plus the gargoyle was a write-off, along with a couple of swords being broken off the orcs. The temptation to spend over a tenner on Ebay for the few, tiny pieces of plastic needed to complete the set is strong but dripping with wrongness.

I didn't realise the strength of demand for reprints of this game. There was a crowdfunding campaign to fund a so-called 25th Anniversary Edition but it seems the company responsible set out without even having permission from the rights holders (Hasbro). It's been severely delayed and there's no definitive release date, which was supposed to be a year ago. I hope they settle the legal issues and get to finish it because the artwork looks lush.

http://www.heroquestclassic.com/en/

locustsofdeath!

GameZone have the rights to the name "HeroQuest" in Spain only.

A rerelease of this game by GameZone unlikely to happen (outside of Spain, if by some chance it happens even there) because: the HeroQuest name is already owned by Greg Stafford's Glorantha, and 2. Games Workshop is ultra-protective of their IP, and if MB couldn't come to terms with them for a reprint, I doubt this little Spanish shop will.

Also, you have to question the ethics of this move by GameZone - they intended to redo HeroQuest without permission, by changing a little of this and a little of that - the designer (the brilliant Stephen Baker) and the publishers wouldn't have seen a penny. That's like a fanzine publisher changing a few names and tweaking the setting of our favorite comic book just enough so that it doesn't infringe on copyright - we wouldn't support it, and I don't think HQ 25th should be supported.

Third Estate Ned

You're right, but you have to wonder how it might have turned out based on that website. I'm shocked at the fact they raised €6622037 beyond their funding target and now it looks like the game won't ever be completed, despite the progress they've made. I hope those people get their money back.

sheridan

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 03 August, 2015, 08:14:40 PM
2. Games Workshop is ultra-protective of their IP
Funny that - considering how much WH40K 'borrowed' from Termight/Dredd (not to mention Alien, Terminator, et al).

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: sheridan on 03 August, 2015, 11:37:28 PM
Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 03 August, 2015, 08:14:40 PM
2. Games Workshop is ultra-protective of their IP
Funny that - considering how much WH40K 'borrowed' from Termight/Dredd (not to mention Alien, Terminator, et al).

Ask Michael Moorcock what he thinks of GW "borrowing" basically everything from the Elric series.

Of course GW used to be gamers designing games for games. They were open about their influences and actively tried to steer their players towards all the source material. Then lawyers took over.

TordelBack

No doubt that GW has been, cough, heavily inspired by various properties, just like TSR before it, but always in a mix'n'match way, an approach fans of 2000AD ought to be tolerant of. And while some of GW's lawyers' antics have been ridiculous (trademarking 'space marine' for one example),  the internet is bulging with people directly copying their product - even remoulding from existing sculpts. Moorock et al might have a legitimate beef with their ideas being ripped off in bulk, but at least no-one was actually reprinting the text of Weird of the White Wolf under a very slightly different cover.

locustsofdeath!

I don't think anyone had a problem with GW borrowing here and there (except for maybe Michael Moorcock) until they started this ultra-militant IP protection. I'm not sure if you heard of the Great Games Workshop Purge: GW lawyers actively sought out bloggers and fansites and had them shut down - blogs and fansites that had existed for years and did nothing but promote GW products. GW then went so far as to send notices to members of boardgamegeek.com ordering them to stop producing fan variants (for even games that have been dead for years, such as Advanced HeroQuest). It was pretty shocking the way they alienated their fans/consumer base.