Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

Quote from: The Cosh on 19 August, 2015, 08:58:17 AM
Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 19 August, 2015, 08:41:29 AM
Dead of Winter is superb. You will come to hate the exposure dice.
This sounds like an entirely different sort of game.

Nothing to see here. It is winter after all.

SIP

Thanks to my son's current obsession I am having my first foray into trading card games at the moment with the Pokemon TCG. Managed to pick up a lot of cards quite cheaply online.  The initial skill appears to be in pouring together an effective 60 card deck with the correct balance of basic pokemon, evolved forms (not as useful as I would have expected),support cards and energy cards.  Quite a tricky business.   Have quite enjoyed playing it though and he's loved it.

I can see how addictive it would be to try and track down the extra cards that you think might boost your deck......a dangerous game for a person with a 'collecting' disorder!

Pyroxian

CCGs are quite good fun, but I prefer the 'living' card games (Dominion, Legendary etc.), which have all the fun of deck-building, but without having to buy hundreds of random booster packs of cards.

Emp

GAMES I GOT----Adel (german auction game, also known as by hook or by crook) Give me the brain, Blood Royale, Hiemlich &co (another german game) and Sherlock Holmes card game.. All of these need to ne in people games lists.

Timothy

Current fave is Patchwork, the latest bit of 2 player fun from Uwe Rosenberg. It really is a cracking little game.

sheridan

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: sheridan on 27 July, 2015, 10:30:57 PM
Quote from: Satanist on 27 July, 2015, 02:27:33 PM
Next game I fancy is Muchkin or Munchkin:Apocalypse but they can wait for now.
Munchkin Apocalypse can wait, but for how long (it was announced almost a year ago now - 15 cards are sure taking a long time to produce)

This is the latest update (last week) from Steve Jackson Games forum regarding Munchkin Apocalypse Judge Dredd:

It's still in progress. We don't have a status report beyond that. Hopefully, that will change soon.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?s=20237207e96a747188c5e8146867ee02&t=128089&page=2

Hope it's not too much longer in the pipeline. Nice to see on that forum non-UK fans willing to give it a try.

radiator

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 05 September, 2015, 04:58:25 PM
Current fave is Patchwork, the latest bit of 2 player fun from Uwe Rosenberg. It really is a cracking little game.

That looks right up my alley. Any reason it's so expensive to buy (£50+)? Rarity?

Timothy

Quote from: radiator on 17 September, 2015, 05:03:32 PM
Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 05 September, 2015, 04:58:25 PM

That looks right up my alley. Any reason it's so expensive to buy (£50+)? Rarity?

Must be rarity. I got it for about £20 from my FLGS, but it as £30 on Amazon last week and is now nearly £60. Wait a bit and it'll come right down again.

radiator

I got the Deluxe Edition of Machi Koro the other day - base game, both expansions and some bonus extras in a nice tin box. Looking forward to trying it out over the weekend.

From the rules, it sounds like a much simpler, card-based version of Catan - a game I've long ummed and ahhed over buying, because I think it's a bit too involved and longwinded for my friends to get into.

I also got to visit one of Portland's game shops a few weeks back. Wow, place was huge, sold new releases and second hand games, and even had a cafeteria with a load of long tables at the back where people just hang out and play games while eating pizza. Amazing. My local pub back in London couldn't even get enough interest to keep a casual board game night going.

TordelBack

Do let us know how Machi Koro goes - it looks lovely snd I've had it recommended to me repeatedly, but it seems very expensive in my LGS.  Big fan of Catan (which isn't at all complicated but can stretch on a bit), so always keen to try similar but shorter.

radiator

Sadly, I think anything over half an hour becomes a really hard sell, and it's extremely rare when everyone is in the right mood for something so involved at the same time. Tbh with my rowdy, fidgety social circle it can be hard to even start - and sustain - a game of something simple and quick like Carcassonne. I think theme is also crucial - in my experience, once you start talking about trading grain and bricks, you get a lot of rolling eyes and blank stares.

MK Deluxe was about £25, not bad for a game + 2 expansions (though admittedly still a bit pricey for what amounts to three decks of cards!)

Timothy

Where did you find MK deluxe at that price?

radiator

Amazon*, and I'm in the US. It was around $40 + whatever postage was.

*I generally like to buy my board games from a local shop, but none of them had it.

radiator

Tried out a couple of games of Machi Koro. I really like it, but it's definitely one of those games that will really come alive with three or four players rather than two (as we were playing it).

It's incredibly simple - setup takes a little while to get your head around, but once thats done you could literally explain the rules to someone in 30 seconds. The expansions - which add a little more randomness and complexity - look interesting, especially as the base game can be over just as its getting interesting.

A really good and visually appealing little gateway game. Can't wait to play it with more players!