Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satanist

Congrats on nabbin SH as it really is fantastic, my favourite since I got back in gaming a few years back.

My New year resolution was to spend more time with the kids mid-week as they are usually almost ready for  bed when I get home from work. So in an effort to comply I decided Wednesdays are family game night and tonights is Space Hulk, we don't use the timer at the moment as it all gets a bit much for the kids.

At the end of the month we have to move out while the house gets gutted by the builders (it'll be worth it as I'm turning the loft into a dedicated games room) but after that my plan is to get them hooked on D&D (picked up the basic rules at Xmas).
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

TordelBack

Careful what you wish for, Satanist! I started a family FRPG campaign (Dragon Warriors rules, homebrew setting) last spring, and am now tormented for additional sessions every waking minute - plus kids' razor-sharp recall for detail is a cruel thing for a GM (I got the material of a looted shield wrong between sessions and have never heard the end of it).

Never played Space Hulk, always liked the look of it.

ThryllSeekyr

You mean those novels published by Corgi.....

I remember buying this one and lending it to friend and never getting it back.

Sad thing was that I really needed to get the entire line of those novels before you could really use any of books for gaming. It makes more sense to play them in order. Because the book I brought was always referring to the ones before it.

Only thing I got out of that book was sketching the Centaur beast on the front cover and not sure where my old sketch pad got to. Because I'd sure like to put up here to show off.

I used to play (Table-top) Space Hulk with friends I know and it's currently on Steam. The latest version is the best and original DOS version from the early 90's was good back in the day, but difficult to finish.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Tordelback on 13 January, 2016, 01:36:32 PM
I started a family FRPG campaign (Dragon Warriors rules, homebrew setting) last spring, and am now tormented for additional sessions every waking minute

If they're old enough to ask, they're old enough to run games themselves :P

TordelBack

Heh, very true!

TS, Lands of Legend doesn't have much in the way of rules (just the rather fiddly Warlock character class (a misguided attempt to bring Elric-style heroes into the game)), so you do need at least the first two books to use it, but it does contain one of the best and most succinct world settings and an entertaining globe-trotting mini-campaign as well. Probably the strongest book in an excellent series - it's a great read. I too lent/lost my copy, but happily have since replaced it. Since they reprinted the material in big hardbacks, the old paperbacks are fairly cheap on eBay - and much nicer to look at.

ThryllSeekyr

After adding Corgi*

(Who also did the Tunnel & Trolls game novels . I had also been collecting those as well. Thought I had them all (About five or six along with the original box set which the original novel I brought when I was still in high school Arena of Khazan/Amulet of Salkti (So, I got two of those and the old one is now very tattered.) and rulebook as like any of the other novels and large soft cover book art work matching the cover of the box. (These looked very old but in otherwise good condition!) Of the novels, I have already moved those and the boxset out to the new house and I'm still sitting here in front of my computer right now. I think they were titled City of Terrors, Beyond the Silvered Plane, Blue Frog Tavern and other two or three I don't recall. They also recently released a big bumper core rule book with everything in it.....

Which features a collage of the older alternative art work on that game-masters screen (Hinting at how the game has now become more like regular Dungeons & Dragons with multiple players and perhaps the soloist. Which is how I approached the game originally. That's how the game started out.

The new art work on the front cover doesn't quite grab my attention as much as the old Kirby (Don't recall his first name!) covers.

I'm a real sucker for unusual colours and shapes. I also reproduced this as a sketch with a some shading to the best of my ability while holidaying on the south coast with my parents in happier times. I didn't do the dragon, because I didn't like that part and added my own back ground, really screwing up shading it in much darker shade of pencil.

You can find it, if you go to my homepage on You-Tube under my other name Vidstarr. (I don't know why I came up with that!). You'll only notice a partial figure itself and the setting sun in the back ground.  I'm rather proud of my accuracy and insane attention to detail on the large sword and shield and also ashamed of the mess I made of it and leaving that way until I eventually had it laminated. So, I can never retouch it.

Isn't that so much like having a tight foreskin that can never be pulled back. I still know that pain!

I have that picture up in room, but obscured behind a the side of large book case.

BTW I meant to say before getting side tracked after adding Corgi to my search. I saw they had two of the novels. Not sure if they were the originals and I don't think bother pursuing those. 

ThryllSeekyr

Since I got paid yesterday morning, I ordered/downloaded some game manuals for a role playing game called Atlantis The Second Age. There's two versions and the older ones cheaper. So I brought both just for comparison and some related source books all as downloads.

(Can't copy image links for the covers. I like the girl on the front cover of first edition)

I saw this book in store years ago, and seeing as I was all hyped about the D20/Slaine game at the same time. (Looking for source material to fill in the gaps, even though I knew I would never be playing either one!) I flicked through it finding parts of it interesting enough and put it down again thinking I would purchase it next time and neglected to remember the exact name of the book and that was that until I did search for any book/manual named Atlantis on DriveThruR.P.G.com. Seeing that lady's face on the front cover. Kind of like Catherine Zeta Jones with some ancient head-gear on, real pretty.

Also the newer books, which couldn't resist purchasing as well.

The game looks cleaned up since the first edition, they say -words to the effect- it's less insulting to some minorities, but it's just game.

I won't say what, but I have also noticed that they use a mostly modern world map with the addition of the continent of Atlantis to the left of where Alba/Ireland/Scotland (I know that name only means the latter, but it's been used for both islands!) and England is and they both look roughly the same shape they do today and not even joined to each other or Europe/Europa. While Africa is called Gondwana. Now, without bothering to used the internet, I thought that name had more to do with the tip of northern Australia which has earned the name Mu while Sumatra/Indonesia/New Guinea is called Lemuria Well, that last one may be right, but I doubt I'm sitting in neighbourhood of that other place.

Mean while, what about Pangea?   

CONTINUED LATER......

ThryllSeekyr

There is during the Permian Era at the beginning as it appears to be....

I think this game might be set during the later end of the Jurassic Era or anytime during the Cretaceous Era for reasons I will share later.

The newer book is naturally more refined, both beastiaries need pruning. They're both chock a block with nearly every variety of mythology beast and sentient from cultures everywhere circa the days of Atlantis

Now people that existed back then were what really piqued my interest.

Remembering a passage of narrative text taken from Slaine -Time Killer (At the beginning of that story where readers are introduced to Cythrons and how they came to be where they are.)

According to magicians, before human beings appeared there were root races on Earth. The first Root Race were invisable being made of fire-mist; the Second were gaseous creatures; the Third were brainless, egg-laying monsters on whom the Diluvials are based; the Fourth were Atlanteans, including the Rmoahals.

Which I had not been able to find in my digital copy of Slaine -Time-Killer. Did I overlook it or was it removed due because it was never taken further than that. All we get in Slaine is that Myrddin was half-Atlantean (From his mothers side!) and half-Cythron (His dad the ruler itself and proving that his mother doesn't have good taste in men just by the look of him!) and he built Dinas-Emrys with the help of some Rmoahals (One of the mythological races of Atlanteans. One of six other sub-races mentioned in the Wiki which might have really existed but here, some of them only serve to be the fore-runners to the White-Europeans, Dark Africans, American and Est Indians, Asians, and other types. ) These are mentioned in these books, but they as many Slaine fans would know, they lived and work with Myrddin amongst other earlier races of people that came before and after them.

Anyway, that little bit information up above got me into reading about this....

The Root Races

That's just for fun, before the Atlanteans, there were three, other peoples that dominated in eras or ages of their own.

You would read about them in the link I put up  and see that the game manual have come up with a approximation of their own.

The Jinn who sound like the origin of the Genie from Arabian myth and they do fit the description of either one of the first two those. When I first read this, I thought of those men from the remake of Clash of titans who used their powers to fight the giant Scorpians.

The Lemurian. The written goes on and on..... where they just might as well have said who are giant apes (I should have wrote before  the Jinn were also large, and much more the giant compared to them, but hardly corporeal!) that with enough spark of intelligence to set them a part from the lesser apes of today. Looking at the picture of them here....

I was thinking Planet of the Apes and they even keep these slaves that look more human than they are, and yet they're really Goblin-half breeds called Nethermen.

The heat is murder,...some other time.....

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

radiator

*sigh*

Does every thread on this board eventually have to become mired in interminable and impenetrable stream of consciousness nonsense about Slaine?

Satanist

Quote from: radiator on 21 January, 2016, 06:12:00 PM
*sigh*

Does every thread on this board eventually have to become mired in interminable and impenetrable stream of consciousness nonsense about Slaine?

Just be grateful the underware thread was nuked.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

radiator

Seriously, at what point does excessive posting become spam?

We were having a nice, civilised chat about board games.

Every damn thread.

Ffs.

radiator

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: radiator on 21 January, 2016, 06:12:00 PM
*sigh*

Well, yes that last post of mine was, but it's also stuff that I got into by it's own level of interest and it's stuff I always been into when I younger and this was before I discovered Slaine.

I was always into Atlantean myth along with those early films (Based on Jules Verne novels!) like 2000 Leages Under the Sea and anything again based on Atlantis including a television series known as The Man from Atlantis.

With Patrick Duffy and Belinda Montgmery

So, my interests here can be traced well before Slaine.