Main Menu

Prog 1871 : Eat the Rich

Started by Buttonman, 01 March, 2014, 01:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

Early Paisley Prog - Letters free.

Damage Report takes the huff with those who felt the new line up of Dark Judge were less than stellar. Judge Sourpuss will see them off.

Dredd continues on his tapeworm hunt and the rest awaits my next visit to the can!

There is a new 3riller (which also features in Jon Davis-Hunt's cover) and a Terror Tale so a lot to dip in and out of.

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 01 March, 2014, 01:04:04 PM
Damage Report takes the huff with those who felt the new line up of Dark Judge were less than stellar.

Really? You have to wonder what other reaction they expected. I couldn't give a monkey's, and IDW should be free to print stories where Dredd, Kendrick Lamar and Selena Gomez travel around in an old VW camper van solving supernatural mysteries if they think that would help gain a toe hold in the US market, but complaining about folk moaning about the 13 dark judges is as dull, reactionary, and irrelevant as folk moaning about it.

Colin YNWA

Well over the last few years there's been a number of occasions when it seemed like Tharg had sorted those pre-launch Prog jitters - you'd slip into the all new story issues without the Galaxies Greatest missing a beat. That's a tough trick to master and one Tharg seemed to have sussed. Which is why this Prog is such a shame. There's not a bad strip in the bunch (well maybe one) but there's nothing great either, in fact just about everything has the air of filler about. Its like an album from your favourite band showcasing all the B-side.

Dredd is pretty good, love the art its a good old skool story, just nowt new or interesting enough to merit more  than a vague approving nod. Likewise Grey Area which should be filler gold, after all it seems to have been designed to replace Sinister Dexter's role in padding out times like these (to the benefit of S&D I should say), and this week its action packed, fun, well crafted but utterly superfluous. I really enjoyed it while it was there but doubt I'll remember it. 3riller, another very useful addition for these time has an opener that sets up potential but little more and at times made me raise an eyebrow at just how much of a stretched things seemed BUT David Braille gave us Ghostship Mathamatica so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

ABC Warriors pegs along awash with robotic violence and the promise of more to come but little more. We get a great looking Terror Tale too... but... well its not exactly innovative this one.

So yeah nowt wrong as such, as good as most comics out there, just not up to Tharg's standard this one.

Steve Green

Quote from: sauchie on 01 March, 2014, 02:20:24 PM
Damage Report takes the huff with those who felt the new line up of Dark Judge were less than stellar.

Really? You have to wonder what other reaction they expected. I couldn't give a monkey's, and IDW should be free to print stories where Dredd, Kendrick Lamar and Selena Gomez travel around in an old VW camper van solving supernatural mysteries if they think that would help gain a toe hold in the US market, but complaining about folk moaning about the 13 dark judges is as dull, reactionary, and irrelevant as folk moaning about it.

Where does complaining about the complaining about the complainers sit?

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 March, 2014, 05:10:40 PM

You complaining?

Steve Green

I'd best not be, could turn into the thread that won't die...

Dark Jimbo

Really? You have to wonder what other reaction they expected.

Whereas I'd say Damage Report is simply cocking the snook at the painful unfuniness of that day's comments - 'How about Judge colostomy, ho ho ho,' 'Can't wait for Judge IBS syndrome, ho ho ho', repeat et nauseum.
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 March, 2014, 06:28:59 PM

I'd say Damage Report is simply cocking the snook at the painful unfuniness of that day's comments - 'How about Judge colostomy, ho ho ho,' 'Can't wait for Judge IBS syndrome, ho ho ho', repeat et nauseum.

Aren't those the actual names, though? I thought Ming's Spinal Tap skit was hilarious.

Darren Stephens

Anyway, how about that Prog, eh....?  :lol: Nice to see Jon Davis-Hunt back!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

JamesC

Good cover this week - good character design.

Dredd was okay. I find it hard to get past the lame Simon Cowell stuff but other than that it was fairly action packed and entertaining.

ABCs seemed to be treading water but I like Langley's rendition of Mr Ten Percent.

Grey Area was as fun as ever.

The 3Riller was an okay set up. One of my pet hates is characters that say 'my dear boy'. No one talks like that.

The Terror Tale looked nice and the weird distortion effects were handled brilliantly in both script and art. It was a creepy sequence which reminded me a lot of the Philadelphia Experiment. Having said that, the strip didn't have a very strong narrative.

A fairly mediocre prog but still enjoyable on the whole.   

Dan Banks

ABC's has become my top thrill. I feel like my world has been turned upside down.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 March, 2014, 05:10:40 PM

This kindathing pisses me off, why oh why oh why do people do that?

:D

DDT did a job on me

Spaceghost

It's weird really. Without looking, I'd say there were less than 15 people contributing silly names on that thread (perhaps more, but not much more) and yet it seems to have got on someone's tits for some reason.

It was only a bit of fun at the expense of the tactics being employed by the brash, cigar-chomping editor of the Dredd comic at IDW, holding his braces and shouting from his office; "I WANT MORE GODDAMMIT! BIGGER! BETTER! FOUR DARK JUDGES? I'LL SHOW THOSE LIMEY SONSABITCHES HOW TO DO COMICS! I WANT 13 DARK JUDGES, EACH MORE DARKERER AND MORE SCARYFYIN' THAN THE LAST BY JIMINY!", which all happened inside my head.

I don't care if it was ad nauseum. It made me laugh.

And those new Dark Judges are shit.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Spaceghost on 04 March, 2014, 03:06:08 PM
It's weird really. Without looking, I'd say there were less than 15 people contributing silly names on that thread (perhaps more, but not much more) and yet it seems to have got on someone's tits for some reason.

You evidently weren't on Facebook or Twitter that day...
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 04 March, 2014, 05:14:16 PM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 04 March, 2014, 03:06:08 PM

You evidently weren't on Facebook or Twitter at all..
FIFY.