Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

Would the Revere and The Dead volume be worth picking up? I am totally unfamiliar with both strips and need someone to recommend or otherwise.

Richard

The Dead is brilliant and I'm glad it about to be introduced to a new audience.

The art on Revere is great. I didn't like the story so much, but I know that others did.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Max Headroom on 25 May, 2022, 01:14:18 PMWould the Revere and The Dead volume be worth picking up? I am totally unfamiliar with both strips and need someone to recommend or otherwise.
I'd say they're both an acquired taste and different flavours of trippy. The Dead is more straightforward in 2000 AD terms, but elevated to weirdness by wonderful artwork. Revere is... very John Smith at his most John Smith. Simon Harrison's art might jar if you're new to it as well.

If you don't like it, you can always dump the book on eBay. Chances are, you'll make your money back anyway. (The Fr1day one I decided not to keep surprisingly sold for 15 quid, for example, making me my money back even when taking into account shipping and eBay fees.)

I, Cosh

Quote from: Max Headroom on 25 May, 2022, 01:14:18 PM
Would the Revere and The Dead volume be worth picking up? I am totally unfamiliar with both strips and need someone to recommend or otherwise.
Two of the best strips ever to appear in the Prog. Either one would be worth the money. Both together is unbeatable value.
We never really die.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Max Headroom on 25 May, 2022, 01:14:18 PM

These are two very unique and decidedly weird strips, both of them which I really enjoy. Revere in particular can be a challenge to get your head around, I've always found it rewarding though and Harrisons's art is like nothing else so it's a classic opinion divider I'd say. The Dead is arguably more linear with clearer storytelling and seems to have a lot of fans. I certainly enjoyed it and am looking forward to a reread. This will be one of the most esoteric volumes in the UC probably so it depends whether that appeals to you!

Max Headroom

Thanks for the feedback. The general consensus seems to be that it will be one worth picking up. I'll give it a go!

leethomson

sintec

Link Prime

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 25 May, 2022, 04:27:09 PM
Harrisons's art is like nothing else

Even now, in 2022, the artwork still resonates strongly, in particular Book III.
For my two Creds it's some of the most jaw dropping painted artwork to ever grace the Prog, save perhaps Biz and Fabry for some sequences of Slaine.

credo

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 May, 2022, 09:25:38 AM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 25 May, 2022, 04:27:09 PM
Harrisons's art is like nothing else

Even now, in 2022, the artwork still resonates strongly, in particular Book III.
For my two Creds it's some of the most jaw dropping painted artwork to ever grace the Prog, save perhaps Biz and Fabry for some sequences of Slaine.

It's not even just the big splash pages (although they're great). The storytelling in that very first episode is brilliant. It's such a taut action sequence and absolutely hooked me on the story.

Tomwe

FB page confirming there will be more Dredd books but can't confirm titles or release dates. So those last two unknowns could well be Dredd?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tomwe on 26 May, 2022, 08:18:05 PM
FB page confirming there will be more Dredd books but can't confirm titles or release dates. So those last two unknowns could well be Dredd?

Books plural is a shame - it means no Survival Geeks hardcover!
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

They didn't use the word books:

QuoteThere will be some more Dredd stories but we're unable to confirm the titles at the moment. Please keep an eye on our website for future titles.

That's ambiguous enough that it could be 2 6 pages strips or 2 entiire volumes. With only 2 unknowns left I'm sorta hoping it's just one book. Although personally I'd rather a second volume of Stickleback than Survival Geeks but either would make a fine addition to the series.

IndigoPrime

davidbishop

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 May, 2022, 10:22:19 PM
"The best of Sonny Steelgrave"

Followed by The Worst of Bish-Op! Soul Sisters! The Straitjacket Fits! Dead Man Walking!