Main Menu

Essential Judge Dredd America trade

Started by milstar, 08 March, 2021, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Willpower came from various sources, not least our rapidly filling TV bookcase and my self-imposed budget that made me choose between double dipping or something new. I went for something new, since I had the Hachette HCs and also the Deviant Files.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 09 March, 2021, 04:18:24 PM
OR re-releasing the first 11 Case Files with color spreads reinstated on new paper.

Oh man! Yeah, I'd snap those up re-releases of those early books that better matched the later ones. You could add page numbers and contents pages, too.
@jamesfeistdraws

milstar

I see this is like when I said in a FB group (2000ad Tat and Chat, to be precise) that collecting trade arcs are basically what you need to have about Dredd and his mythology. Someone said tho that I would miss some pretty good, essential short-stories that are in CCF.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 March, 2021, 04:23:35 PM
I went for something new, since I had the Hachette HCs and also the Deviant Files.
Oh good decision, that would be triple dipping! I really wish I had access to the Hachette HCs, unfortunately not an option outside the UK.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 09 March, 2021, 04:25:34 PM
Oh man! Yeah, I'd snap those up re-releases of those early books that better matched the later ones. You could add page numbers and contents pages, too.
Exactly! It would be awesome to have CF consistent from book 1, page numbers and all...and that would make a bit of room on the bookshelves too!

Quote from: milstar on 09 March, 2021, 05:08:07 PM
Someone said tho that I would miss some pretty good, essential short-stories that are in CCF.
I completely agree, as good as collected storyline are, so many of the best Dredd's are the random one-offs or short stories focusing on MC1 citizens. Only to be found in the Case Files.

Southstreeter

Triple dipping? You wusses. At the last count I had Nemesis Bk 1 in an old large format hardback, the phone books, the Deviant Edition, the Ultimate Collection, and now the fancy new hardbacks. That's just 5, as I don't think I had the original progs (I read my brother's). I have been offloading them to charity though!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 09 March, 2021, 05:37:41 PMOh good decision, that would be triple dipping!
Thinking about it, I also have the original Progs, but they don't count in my head. (And I'm sticking with that, although Mrs IP did quizzically look at me and ask why I needed the Hachette books if I had all of the comics.)

QuoteI really wish I had access to the Hachette HCs, unfortunately not an option outside the UK.
It's a pity they aren't more widespread. I guess there isn't the market outside of specific territories, but they're a barg.

Quote from: Southstreeter on 09 March, 2021, 06:46:55 PMTriple dipping? You wusses. At the last count I had Nemesis Bk 1 in an old large format hardback, the phone books, the Deviant Edition, the Ultimate Collection, and now the fancy new hardbacks. That's just 5, as I don't think I had the original progs (I read my brother's). I have been offloading them to charity though!
Erm, I didn't think we were counting the numbers we'd bought, but rather the number we currently own. Otherwise my Nemesis book 1 order goes something like: Best of 2000 AD > Quality Comics reprints > finally getting the original Progs (still owned) > Titan reprint > Rebellion phone book > UC HC (still owned) > Deviant edition (still owned). On that basis, I'm half surprised I didn't buy the OS HC...

Rogue Judge

7x Nemesis dipping, you win IP! I have 3 forms of the Apocalypse War now, and a couple America, so I guess I cant complain. We've gotta support Tharg after all.

IndigoPrime

I'm at least mostly offloading now, so I end up with, at most, original comics and one collected version. I even sold off my Mek-Files because of that, lovely though they were.

I'm making a very few exceptions: Deviant Edition Nemesis (on the basis of the altered art); Rebellion Sláine HCs and Deadworld HCs (lovely format; might later budge on Sláine); and my ancient Titan versions of the Alan Moore Shocking Futures and Twisted Times volumes, which have lovely covers. Oh, and anything where the HCs aren't yet complete. So I currently have a complete Sandman run in trades, but that'll be offloaded when the deluxe HCs have all arrived.

I really have to get around to putting more stuff on eBay. Sigh. (My complete run of Usagi Yojimbo trades is still lurking behind a chair in our main bedroom, adding to my guilt on a daily basis!)

Tjm86

Multiple copies is a nightmare!  From what I can tell the Essential Apocalypse War is essentially the IDW version with the cover it should have had. 

So on one level I'm tempted on the grounds that what IDW did borders on the criminal (I mean seriously, passing up on the likes of Ezquerra, Bolland, Dillon, McMahon or Smith for someone who simply does not get MC1 at all?  What were they thinking?)

On the other hand, I've got this edition, the originals, the Eagle Comics version (although if they were to give that the Deviant treatment ...), and the Mega collection ...

There are a few bits I do want to offload but ebay is no longer a serious option.  Besides the insane charges (10% of the postage?  I mean, WTF are you doing charging for stuff that I have to pay for myself?), the fact that it is now pretty much overtaken by business, scalpers and flippers who just want to charge bonkers prices for things.  Facebook is not much better either ...   :|

IndigoPrime

I've sold plenty on eBay and it's been OK. Charges are shitty but it gets plenty of eyes on what you have for sale. I'd rather sell through here — which I have done quite a few times — but the audience here is rather smaller in number!

Tjm86

Aye, I've used ebay quite a bit in the past to shift stuff.  The last time was a hell of a shock though.  10% of whatever the final price is.  10% of whatever the postage and packing charge is.  Hell I was surprised they didn't charge for walking to the post office to send the stuff!

Colin YNWA

I've not used eBay for an age. Instead I'd started to book tables at a location comic mart. Nowhere near as effectice but a TON more fun.... haven't done it for a while mind... something must have happened.

Seriously though when this sort of thing starts again if you have a decent amount of stuff to sell I'd consider it it really is a fun way to spend the day.

Lorenzo

Quote from: Lorenzo on 09 March, 2021, 11:47:06 AM
Quote from: milstar on 09 March, 2021, 10:25:59 AM
Damn, I feel now confused.

Judging from Indigo Prime's post, they did not include Cadet and whatisname the second story from America trade, which are sequels to America arc.

I had the same question a while back. If you are looking for a collection, outside of the case files, that has the missing stories:
'Fading of the Light', 'Cadet' and 'Judgement Call', then you'll want the US TPB of America from 2015.
It's OoP but still around if you look hard. It has this cover:

Scratch all of that! I discovered a copy of the US TPB of America in a local comic shop... It's identical to the UK version. The page count is in error and it only contains 'America', 'Fading of the Light' and 'Cadet'. No 'Judgement Call'.