Main Menu

FINAL!!!! - The Killing v Rage - Bolt-01 Cup

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 October, 2021, 06:29:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southstreeter

The Killing is what classic era SD is all about. Rage might have edged it without that dead end interlude in the middle.

Leigh S

Huey2

The quality of the Stront stories is so extraordinarily high that comparing any of them is often like choosing a favourite shade of perfection. That said: Rage!

Just one of the greatest stories and one which, while still fantastic as a collected read, really made the most of the weekly episodic format. It really felt like an event.  I can still remember the wait between progs: simultaneously wanting Alpha to hurry up catch Bubba but also not wanting the tale to end. I don't get the comments that it was meandering. Each false trail is essential to the tale. That ending can't be won too easily and Grant and Wagner ensure that each digression is exciting and interesting.

Bubba is probably the best 2000ad villain ever - there's nothing clever or special about him. He's just nasty, vicious and unimaginative.

Ezquerra, who has never drawn a bad image in his life, was producing career best stuff with this run of Stront stories

Buttonman

Funt Solo

I'll see your The Killing (of Moses Quest) and raise you a The Killing (of the Damned).
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Well it all comes down to today - this wasn't the final I expected, and the final isn't going the way I expected. On the one hand that's what I love about these tourneys, they shake my expectations, on the other hand RAGE! Well you still have a day to put this right and I'll count up in the morning.

broodblik

In the beginning of the tourney I would have said that it is going to be Rage vs Portrait with a close victory for Rage but looks like both of these has been the last victims in The Killing
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Getting my vote in for RAGE before it's too late!

..because I love you all.

paddykafka

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i've been determined not to vote on this tourney, sd never having really been my pot of tea.

but i'll break my principle right now to do my meagre bit - to try and flail and doubtless fail to prevent an absolute travesty happening.

RRRRRRRAAAAGGGGGEEEEEE!!!!!!

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well in the end it wasn't even close and Portrait of a... oh thats a different world... okay so in reality in the end it was even close and from a strong start there was just no stopping Rag... oh ... what.. hold on...

...wow I was NOT expecting that... what a fantastic final. Rage did indeed storm out the blocks and it seemed as it the firm favourite (well in my mind) was going to take this with ease as expected... but then The Killing started to pull votes back and pull level and then relentlessly, brutally pull ahead and was unstoppable. By the end votes started to reappear for Rage, but by then it was far too late.

The Killing seems to represent the purity of Strontium Dog as a high octane, rough and humorous thrill. Shot through with fantastic characters, stunning art and design, action and the element, possibly, Rage misses most, a buddy 'action movie' vibe.

Its testament that Strontium Dog as a thrill that there is such variety in these two stories. Yet they both feel right. In the end though we must celebrate the forum favourite Johnny Alpha thrill

THE KILLING