Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Helium vs. Shakara Rd 3 Heat 25

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 May, 2022, 07:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 4 has the full range of ties. From probably one of the most one sided match-ups we will see this round... and when I say probably, I mean definitely. To a couple of absolute stinkers. There is as you might imagine plenty in between as well.

In what was arguably the tie of the Round and also the very last match up of Round 2 we saw the amazingly energetic Shakara take down an almost timeless classic in Stainless Steel Rat. Even though it was the last tie it also drew the most votes. It's clear folks love a tough match-up. And this might have been one too, who knows what might have been if Helium, which got of to a fantastic start in its first series had continued. We'll very possibly never know and all we have to vote on is that abortive first series. Such a shame. Its still managed to see off Pulp Sci-Fi in Round 2 mind.

Helium - more info

Vs

Shakara - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday 2nd June and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

broodblik

I loved Helium (and most of us waiting for the sequel) but it must be Shakara
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

rogue69

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

Helium is great, we just need more of it. As we don't, Shakara fully deserves a vote here.

Southstreeter

Shakara for sure. One of the best of the past 20 years. It finished, and it stays perfect (so don't bring it back, Tharg). Why do we need Helium to return when we have our pick of cockernee characters in all Edginton's other work?

Aaron A Aardvark

Helium just feels like unfinished business. Both stories look a billion credits, though.

Shakara

AlexF

Yeah, I suspect even if we had more Helium and it was as good as Brass Sun, it still wouldn't have anything in it to rival the exuberance and weirdness of Shakara.

sheridan

Funt Solo

Shakara had that great, self-contained first series - but then managed to pivot into sequels without blushing. Helium is only a good start, because it doesn't actually have an ending.

Shakara!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Southstreeter on 30 May, 2022, 09:34:17 AM
Shakara for sure. One of the best of the past 20 years. It finished, and it stays perfect (so don't bring it back, Tharg). Why do we need Helium to return when we have our pick of cockernee characters in all Edginton's other work?

Y'mind y'manners, now, Southstreeter, else I'll fetch yer a clip round the lug'ole... Yep, Helium was good, but in its short run still managed to be chock full of Edginton's annoying authorial tics.

Shakara, on the other hand, was like nothing else before or since.
@jamesfeistdraws

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I would have said Shakara, if I hadn't reread Helium recently.

So, Helium.

SBT