Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Nikolai Dante vs. Caballistics Inc Rd 3 Heat 32

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 June, 2022, 07:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Nikolai Dante. I would still like an Omnibus collection so I can find and read it all.

Funt Solo

Nikolai Dante please, Bob.

There are those thrills that are so epic that they help define the comic. Nemesis, Dredd, Rogue, Slaine, Dante...

Cabs was a great thrill, but by its very nature it usurped the idea of a central hero character - so even it were more prolific, it probably wouldn't make the list.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

Mostly a consolation vote at this point, but chalk another one up for Caballistics, Inc. It's not 'better' than Nikolai Dante, but it always fired me up when in the Prog, and it's better than Absalom + Diaboliks, deserves more love!

sintec

2 great stories both drawn by top art droids. it's a shame to have to loose either of them. Dom Reardon's art on Cabs is the perfect fit for it's dark moody atmosphere and I love a good horror story. But despite that I'm going to have to vote Dante. It's a truly epic tale with gorgeous art from Burns and Fraser, it's going to be a tough one to beat in this competition.

Link Prime

I really enjoyed Caballistics Inc, but will have to go with the epic Adventures of Nikolai Dante for this one.

Magnetica

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 02 June, 2022, 02:22:39 PM
Nikolai Dante. I would still like an Omnibus collection so I can find and read it all.

An omnibus would be absolutely massive. All of it is available individually though. I bought the whole lot in a digital sale last year and am part way through my re-read. I'm waiting for Simon Fraser and Edie Nugent to resume their podcast, but I'm not sure when (if?) that will be.

Woolly

Coming out of lurk mode for this one...

I really want to choose Caballistics here. It's right up my street, and pays all the right homages to all the right properties. Dom Reardon can do no wrong, and Gordon Rennie is clearly passionate about the entire project.

But then it just kinda... fizzled out. Tharg, for some unfathomable reason, commissioned a Cabs novel from a different writer, and Gordon appears to have lost his steam for it from that point on (read his blurb in the complete edition for more on that).
So, if Cabs had continued then I'd be voting for that!

But it didn't. And Nikolai Dante has one of the greatest completed runs in the progs history, for reasons already noted in this thread.

So I have to vote for Nikolai Dante. Even though I kinda love Cabs a bit more.

Colin YNWA

Just as Nemesis sent out a warning to the other favourites this morning so Nikolai Dante seems to be doing the same here. Putting down a brilliant thrill with apparent ease. We'll now how much of a statement this is tomorrow morning.

DrJomster

Cabs for me by a mile. Reardon's art is to die for and the multiple Cabs spin offs are testament to its strength as a world. Dante's good, don't get me wrong, it's just not up there with Cabs for me, I'm afraid.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

JayzusB.Christ

Dante for me too.  Didn't like him at first, the smug little shit, but he grew on me when the war started.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Another real statement here from one of the tourney favourites... or is it. I have three in mind that could win this and Dante and a couple of others nipping at the heals of those... but results like this make you wonder. I mean Dante is my all time fav so who knows. We can't leave here without talking about Cabs however an absolutely wonderful thrill, possible weaken by that daggling 'ending' that haunted it for years. That said its given us two popular and grimly wonderful spins offs and has put that undead ending to bed so it certainly deserved better than a 3rd round exit.... we don't always get what we deserve however and

Nikolai Dante

will be buckling that swash in Round 4.

norton canes

A belated, non-eligible vote for Caballistics Inc., one of my favourite ever thrills.

JayzusB.Christ

And a belated Dante one from me - I hated the smug, snide little prick at first, until the war popped his balloon a bit and made him a lot more likeable. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Nick was great when he started but and the art was fabby, however Caballistics Inc is the gift that keeps giving
DDT did a job on me