Main Menu

GoT: House of the Dragon

Started by Jim_Campbell, 22 August, 2022, 10:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 September, 2022, 11:54:32 PM
I'm not too bothered by "Why didn't they have lookouts?" type stuff. For dramatic purposes, it's more fun to show it as they did. The alternative is to drag it out by showing that the Crabfeeder had lookouts. But Daemon was clever and we have a scene of those lookouts being overpowered silently by some of his troops. Some films (heist movies) like to do this, some films don't.

I see what you mean - but I'm not arguing that all the heroes should be shown going to the loo. It's that once the number of "wait a minute that doesn't make sense" bits add up you eventually reach the realms of it getting in the way of the storytelling.

Like, I'm sure I could find some things in the Battle of the Bastards to complain about, but I didn't need to, because overall it made *enough* sense and was dramatically engaging. I found that Daemon's lone distraction attack took me out of the drama with the amount of suspension of disbelief it was asking of me.

Personal taste, of course - but by the time I'm having to re-write it in my head to make sense, I'm no longer fully engaged in the drama.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rara Avis

Quote from: sheridan on 07 September, 2022, 08:26:42 AM
Yep (probably [spoiler]greyscale[/spoiler]?)

No I don't think so; [spoiler]it's meant to be a sign that the chair is rejecting him for being for being weak. It started out as a little cut when he sent Daemon off and it's been two years and he's lost two fingers. Not a good omen for our Vis.[/spoiler]

Rara Avis

Quote from: Funt Solo on 07 September, 2022, 06:51:17 PM
I see what you mean - but I'm not arguing that all the heroes should be shown going to the loo. It's that once the number of "wait a minute that doesn't make sense" bits add up you eventually reach the realms of it getting in the way of the storytelling.

This is a major bugbear for me. Less is sometimes more. If we had seen the main character have one or even two well choreographed exhausting fights it would be much better than them easily despatching 20 foes who conveniently wait their turn.

Might happen more in the next episode but I really hope they're not going to shoehorn the events of GoT into the Hot D story. We've already had it a bit when Vis mentions the song of fire and ice which was enough for me. Season 8 of GoT was so unpopular they wold do well to keep as much distance from it as they can.

Funt Solo

Of a note I was more impressed by: the Crab King had a certain gait. When we see the reverse shot of Daemon walking out of the caves - his hair is matted to his head and he's wounded, and his gait is mirroring that of the Crab King - so in that moment, I wasn't sure who it was - whether Daemon had been successful in the caves or had lost. It wasn't until we get the frontal shot later, and see that he's dragging the remains of his foe along behind him, that I fully realized what had happened.

I assume they did this on purpose and it wasn't just me not being able to figure out who was who. The main message, clearly, was that he was willing to sacrifice everything rather than be seen to need bailed out by his big brother. He's also fond of Rhaenyra, so when they inevitably come to a point of conflict over who gets to sit in the pointy chair, it'll be interesting to find out how that plays out.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Matt Smith clearly relished the chance to play the handsome, charming, hedonist involved in the machinations about who sits on the throne among a dysfunctional family of schemers, adulterers, murderers, in-breds and nonces.

But enough about THE CROWN, let's get back to HOUSE OF DRAGON.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 September, 2022, 08:56:10 AM
...nonces.

I was just reading that someone got arrested for shouting *something* at Prince Andrew in the street during the recent festival of Mourn or Be Jailed, Peasants that Britain is currently enjoying. I also read that he was being given responsibility over his mum's corgis. A safe pair of hands, there, I'm sure.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 September, 2022, 06:50:55 PM
...nonces.

I was just reading that someone got arrested for shouting *something* at Prince Andrew in the street during the recent festival of Mourn or Be Jailed, Peasants that Britain is currently enjoying. I also read that he was being given responsibility over his mum's corgis. A safe pair of hands, there, I'm sure.

I noticed that the reporting mysterious missed out what the shouting was about, but I can't imagine it was about anything other than child abuse or statutory rape.  Corgis will make a change from orgies.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 13 September, 2022, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 13 September, 2022, 06:50:55 PM
...nonces.

I noticed that the reporting mysterious missed out what the shouting was about, but I can't imagine it was about anything other than child abuse or statutory rape.  Corgis will make a change from orgies.

"Andrew, you're a dirty old man" apparently.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Having little interest in Monday's ostentatious Granny Planting Ceremony, I thought I would get caught up with this show.

It doesn't quite have the magic of its predecessor*, neither literally nor figuratively. If not for the dragonses, you would be forgiven for thinking this is an alternative history show, rather than a fantasy one. If not for Dr Who I would say there are no strong characters.

It also takes a couple of episodes to get over the inter-episode-time-skip whiplash, although I appreciate the nod/wink to the camera lines that lampshade them.

Don't get me wrong, it's good TV, but I really didn't get invested until the latest episode. It may be streaming fatigue from the pandemic, but a lot of shows from streaming services seem like movie trilogies split into ~a dozen episodes, but the first movie and a half is all set up, so nothing happens until episode ~5/6. I'm having the same problem with that LOTR the Rings show, but there's no Dr Who in that to spice it up.

*The show, not the monarch
You may quote me on that.

Richmond Clements

Am I the only one still watching? That latest episode was superb. I wasn't sure that the time jump would work, but it was quite brilliant.

The Legendary Shark

Got the latest episode queued up for tonight. I've been enjoying it very much so far.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]