Main Menu

A scojo idea for Strontium Dog

Started by Thread Zero, 23 September, 2002, 02:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

Hi scojo here. Shooshi sends her love. xxxxxxx Matt respect your cats.:)

I have this cool idea folks.

We have had the summer of retro thrills: Stront, Vcs and Rogue, and most people seem to be happy with them.  But how about this....

Instead of more Strontium Dog, have the son of Stront. No I'm serious.

Imagine Johnny once had nookie with a female norm and she gave birth to a mutant son.  Maybe Johnny never knew about it. Maybe he did. Anyway you could have a new series with the younger Johnny junior.  He doesn't have to be called Johnny of course.

It could be Stontium Dog; the next generation. Maybe he could be called Rom Alpha or something.  He would have different mutant powers to that of his father.  It would be a new saga chronicling his fight against human prejudice, and becoming a new type of search destroy agent.  I think this could really work.

Any thoughts people?

scojo [posted via Wake]

Dounreay

Jesus no, it's a terrible idea. Johnny Alpha in nappies would be too much to bear, especially if Ezquerra drew it. This type of thing is not to be encouraged. It'll be Sprog of Rogue Trooper next, God forbid.

Seriously, the S/D world must have a few good stories in it yet. Why not develop it with..gasp..new characters.

karne

Wasn't there a Durham Red story in a 2000ad special where she was an old woman with a grandaughter? Maybe Alpha did rudies with her. Anyway your just being silly Scoj (For a change:>) Strontium Sprog has to be the worst idea since somebody said "lets include Junker in 2000ad" and forgot to put on a sarcastic voice. Keep em' coming though Scoj, you brighten our days.

Devons Daddy

confirmed  on the child of JA
i remerber a whole story line where johhny was with norm as a sub plot, with bi lines about how he was often believed ot have visited the women in question,
now if memory serves it was the excellent tale with the pilot with the singing crew members in his specail enviroment,the tale was all about releasing johnnys father  Nelson kreeler himself.
im sure someone here can fil in details such as title and prog numbers.
but no not a son of johhny,
daughter of sam slade now thats another story,
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

HiEx

Looks like I'm in the minority, but I actually think a story based around a child of Johhny Alpha could work.

HiEx

HiEx

Anybody, got the old Titan Dredd graphic novel City of the damned', that they want to sell?

HiEx

Tu-plang

Devon: that was te Kreeler Conspiracy, beginning in Prog 2000.  That was Wagner's idea for a TV movie that never went ahead, so it got in the comic.

As for "son of Johnny Alpha", why?  It all sounds a bit silly to me.

almighty mat

It always smacks of desperation when a company/comic keeps the same title going with a new generation of characters. Although it doesn't happen in tooth that often, DC(for example) do it all the time, and it just comes accross as being too chickenshit to try something new. Don't wallow in nostalgia, try something exciting for god's sake.

mat

Oddboy

It's not a good idea.

But if it were to go ahead, the name should be...

Johnny Beta

Better set your phaser to stun.

Wake

Scojo says he meant setting the stories when the son is a man, not a boy. He also said some other stuff about what he would do if he was scripting it, including telling the story as a first person narrative (like Danny Frank's diary in Bad Company), setting it on a new world, and trying
to explore the character's alienation and loneliness.

In a way, I think Strontium Dogs with Feral and Gronk tried to do something like this, but without Johnny and without John Wagner at the helm it didn't manage to replace the then dead Johnny Alpha...which is probabaly why we're now seeing the retro version.

Wake

Matt

Wake, are you some sort of medium now for Scojo? How do you contact him, ouji board?

Wake

Yes...though I find I don't need to make any effort to contact him. For some reason he contacts me...

I figured he'd probably want to follow up on the original next generation post I posted for him, but decided not to let the reply though intact.

Wake

MOONSHINE

Like the recent Rogue Trooper stories, the old style Strontium Dog has left me cold.  Alpha's dead and there's no getting around that. Tales in which nothing significant can ever happen to the main characters, or the status quo of the universe they inhabit, seem a bit pointless. Look at Dante – he's changed a lot throughout the series run, as has the world around him. There's no scope for that kind of development in these retrospective tales. We certainly won't ever see anything as inspired as the 'final solution' in the current revival.

As to bringing back new characters, its already been done in Strontium Dogs. I won't argue about the quality of these tales. Though I quite liked them, they were ultimately dropped like a hot potato, so can't have been that popular. The problem seems to have been that they were too character orientated, with not enough action to suit the weekly 7 page format. But by the last episode all the hanging storylines were resolved, and at the end we were left with a line up of characters including Middenface Mcnulty, Feral, The Gronk and Bullmoose. The doghouse had been rebuilt and the SD's were back in operation.  The series had been given a clean slate.

Surely there's scope to start afresh. McNulty and the Gronk are old hands. A reborn Feral has the potential to be a cool character – maybe even stepping into Alphas shoes. There's no reason why they can be picked up by a new creative team, given a dust off and reinvigorated in brand new adventures, more in line with the old style bounty hunting.

nick_coyle

I have to say I agree with moonshine's suggestion.

People will probably laugh at me but when I started reading 2000AD in the mid 800's, Strontium Dogs was one of my favourite scripts. I thought the Darkest Star was fantastic.

Although looking back now the later Strontium Dogs stories were perhaps not the best (being polite) I think that characters such as Feral and the Gronk could work again if given a new creative team. And it would be interesting to see what Middenface was up to
Nick

Oddboy

Middenface should be in the new Megazine 4.16
Better set your phaser to stun.