Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 May, 2020, 10:15:10 PM
uh what's this up next Beastmaster that's gotta be worth a go too... actually maybe not...
Worth it for Tanya Roberts alone.

Men in Black: International Not as dire as I heard it to be but not up to the level of the first three. It was lacking the charm of Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

JamesC

I rewatched Beastmaster a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

pictsy

Bloodshot

Ugh.  A boring film with ugly action.  I did consider turning it off before it ended, but I endured the whole thing.  It also has the most un-London looking London ever.  Looked more like a west-coast US city when the chase scene kicks in.  That was the most memorable thing about the film, a location screw-up.

Apparently I will be watching Promare tonight.

Keef Monkey

Got the latest Star Wars 4K blu-ray boxset and it's a beauty! Took a day off yesterday and watched episodes I-III and it was a grand day. I'm sure there's nothing new under the sun to say about those films, but I always enjoy them and watching them back to back I was really taken by just how much I unreservedly enjoy watching III, and it looks pretty fantastic. Reckon I'll take another midweek movie holiday next week and do IV-VI!

Rately

The Hitcher - Haven't seen this since the early nineties, and I'd forgotten what an unsettling and dread filled movie it is. Rutger Hauer is brilliant, and the action scenes are generally very well shot. The ending is as bleak as they come.

Checking IMDB, the writer also wrote Near Dark, so that's the next thing on the watch list!

Bolt-01

Near Dark is a wonderful film.

I first saw that on VHS in '89(?) and watched it three times before it went back. A firm favourite in my house and a film I'm very pleased to say made the generational leap and my kids love it too.

Rately

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 28 May, 2020, 01:30:45 PM

I first saw that on VHS in '89(?) and watched it three times before it went back. A firm favourite in my house and a film I'm very pleased to say made the generational leap and my kids love it too.

I've seen it once or twice, pretty sure it was a showing on Channel 4 that I caught in the mid 2000s!

Looking forward to a re-watch. And I seem to recall that the soundtrack is a wonder synth score?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rately on 28 May, 2020, 01:59:46 PM
And I seem to recall that the soundtrack is a wonder synth score?

Tangerine Dream. Not my sort of thing, normally, but it adds a lot to the movie.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 May, 2020, 02:07:27 PM
Quote from: Rately on 28 May, 2020, 01:59:46 PM
And I seem to recall that the soundtrack is a wonder synth score?

Tangerine Dream. Not my sort of thing, normally, but it adds a lot to the movie.

Ah! To Spotify I go.

Cheers, Jim.

wedgeski

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 28 May, 2020, 01:30:45 PM

Close to my favourite vampire movie, although the Aliens cast reunion probably has something to do with it.

repoman

Fright Night is my favourite vampire film but Near Dark is right up there.  Perfect movie.

The Hitcher is phenomenal too.

JamesC

Mad Max

I'm doing a rewatch of all the MM films. My brother is watching at the same time and we're what's apping our observations as we go.

The first film is probably the most different to the rest of the series. Society is still just about hanging on, with utilities and the basic pillars of civilization still in place. There's a great feel of impending doom though.
The film isn't perfect. The pacing is all over the shop and there's very little in the way of characterisation. Max's wife is a barely sketched character and his kid - only referred to as Sprog - just exists with no interaction to the main character.
The action still stands up brilliantly though. The whole opening sequence with the Night Rider is really impressive - especially on a low budget.
The final act is pretty good too but I wish they'd made a bit more of Max cutting a swathe of vengeance through the Toecutter's gang. I suspect they'd have spent more time on this if they'd had the budget.
I really like how Toecutter's demise is kind of low key. Okay, there's a cool chase and a great stunt, but no personal reckoning in the 'you killed my family' vein.
More time is spent on Max's vengeance on the shittiest most snivelling shit of a gang member - the one you really want to punch. Still a memorable ending and one that made an impression when I first watched this as a kid. It's a very sudden ending though and, really, the film is most interesting as a precursor to what's coming.
Actually, another thing that's really impressive is the way everything and everyone are made as interesting, memorable (and weird) as possible (other than the wife and child). Everyone's a sort of pantomime grotesque. Fifi the police cheif, the guy with the voice synthesiser, Johnny Boy with his weird delivery, even the granny with her leg callipers.
Anyway, enough waffle, I really enjoyed it.

Looking forward to Mad Max 2. My brother's never seen that one.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JamesC on 29 May, 2020, 09:47:46 AM
Mad Max

I'm doing a rewatch of all the MM films. My brother is watching at the same time and we're what's apping our observations as we go....

Looking forward to Mad Max 2. My brother's never seen that one.

I did this recently(ish) and my comments will be here somewhere and almost certianly not worth the effort but the great thing about the Mad Max films is they are all so different, yet the same. There's threads and themes that bridge them and of course Max but they are different in tone and feel to me and other ways.

And man your brother is in for a threat!

Rately

Brilliant series of movies. George Miller shoots action like nobody else, and having recently re-watched Fury Road, I really can't wait for the prequel, and whatever else he comes up with.

Fury Road might just be one of the best looking movie ever put together.

In saying that, I've always loved Thunderdome the most, but Fury Road certainly picking at its heels.

pictsy

Near Dark

After reading the posts here I looked the film up and thought "heeyy, I remember that!"  I managed to grab it off the TV many moons ago and enjoyed it.  I think it was a double bill with John Carpenter's Vampires and Near Dark was certainly the one that stuck in the mind more.  So I gave it another go.

It's as I remember it.  Decent enough.  Certainly entertaining and engaging.  I enjoyed it and was happy rewatching it.  I'll have to rewatch that JC Vampires film again at some point.

The first Mad Max is certainly the weakest of the four.  The second or fourth are arguably the best, but I probably enjoy Thunderdome the most.  It's acting is certainly better than it's predecessors (I love Tina Turner's performance) and I find the story more fleshed out and compelling.  They are all entertaining in their different ways and it's certainly worth while watching all four.  I hope you enjoy the other films :)